Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Al Gardner Bardezbanian
Amos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 05:09 PM
Al Gardner Bardezbanian

Hello everyone,
It is with a very sad heart that I inform all of you that oud virtuoso Al Gardner Bardezbanian passed away today at his home in Bath, Maine. I was just with him yesterday, and this is very unexpected. Al's passion for the oud, kindness of heart, and dedication to the science and art of music touched many lives and he will be very badly missed. He was my teacher and friend. He is survived by his wife.
Regards to everyone,
Amos

Our music is like an ocean...
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 05:13 PM
with my heart

I'm sorry to hear that with all my heart

Leon
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 05:19 PM

I never had the pleasure of meeting Al face to face, but we did share several emails over the past months which I treasure. His warmth of spirit came accross, and he was somebody that I looked forward to meeting some day.
His knowledge of the oud was encyclopedic, and he was happy at all times to share that knowledge.
I know that in his most recent email to me he mentioned recording a new cd, but I do not know if he actually got in to the studio to do any of the recording or not.

I hope that somebody can post some more tracks off of his cd. His Shataraban Pesrev was hauntingly beautiful. On songs with a fast tempo, he was amazingly accurate, and soulful (Hygagan Bar, for example). Since hearing of his passing, though, I find myself drawn more and more to his recording of Yeraz, a melancholy Armenian song meaning, simply, Dream. Every note is perfection. His playing was a lot different than Mgrdichian's, but I can't help but make the comparison, because they both found such depth in the music, and allowed the listener to be carried away to a completely different world. The track is brilliant, and, I think, a fitting way to remember this gentle giant of a man.

Every day is a gift.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 05:29 PM

NO!!! Are you kidding me!!??

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 06:12 PM

Sad to hear about that. He was a great embassador for the oud in the USA.
Condoleances to his family and many friends. May god help them in this most difficult time.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 08:12 PM

I haven't contacted Al's family yet to offer my condolences, but I would echo Jonathan's sentiments exactly. I never met Al in person, but I corresponded with him for the last 4 years. He originally sent me a short note when I started my very first oud project. And since then he's been a real inspiration and friend in the oud. His enthusiasm for this instrument has motivated me on many ocassions. Not to mention his enthusiasm for the music in general. He was a master of the oud, kanun, clarinet, hammond organ, and probably many other instruments I don't know about. My second oud was based largely on a Nahat owned by Al, and he was quite proud that I used his oud for my project prototype. Indeed, I couldn't have built it without his input and advice. I'll always be indebted to Al. May God rest his soul.

Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 09:28 PM

thank you for your sympathy everyone. jonathan, i am attaching the song you mentioned, 'yeraz' for you and for everyone to hear Al's lovely and delicate playing.
all the best,
amos

spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 11:38 PM
Goodbye Al

I never met Al personally myself, but we had a short e-mail exchange, at the end of which he sent me, totally out of the goodness of his heart, his CD. That's the kind of guy he was, God rest his soul. I kept meaning to send him something back as thanks but you know how we keep procrastinating some times. Who would have thought !

His musical viruosity has been mentioned by all of you so I don't have to repeat it. His music was awsome. It touched all of us with Middle Eastern sensitivities, Armenians, Greeks, Arabs, Turks, you name it.

Maybe we shouldn't be posting his music here, so that more people would buy his CDs and help the family that way.

He will be lovingly remembered.

Spyros C.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 01:03 AM
Al's music

How can we get hold of Al's music - I've looked online and can't find any. I would love any cd by him especially now we need to keep his beautiful, soulful, music alive.

Best wishes

Leon
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 01:46 AM

Spyrosc--I understand how you feel. I never post anything that is available commercially. But, that cd of Al's is out of print, and impossible to find. So, posting it really doesn't deprive anybody of any revenue.

RA_Oud
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 04:58 AM

Sorry to hear of his passing..
jshead
Oud Junkie

Mood: Peace

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 05:22 AM

I met Al a couple of times and, of course, heard him perform. As people say, he was generous and loved very much the music and the oud. A great loss for anyone who loves the music of the oud.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 10:23 AM

This is really very sad news. I don't recall hearing that he was sick, and actually knew that Jameel was just recently restoring some of his instruments. So this must have just come out of nowhere. I too had some correspondence with him early on in the development of the website, and he was nothing but encouraging and supportive to say the least. One could tell that he was an all and all great guy. Our sincerest condolences go to his family. We hope that knowing that he is in a much better place will provide them with the comfort and peace of mind needed to get through this difficiult time.

samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 02:57 AM

This news really upset me. I got to know Al at the 2005 Simon Shaheen retreat. Of all the amazing people I met there, I was really touched by him. He was such a sweet, kind, inspiring person. Since it was my first retreat, I was so overwhelmed, but Al was always there to keep my spirits up.

The best way I know how to pay tribute to this amazing soul is to post my recordings of his "Oud Clinic" class at the retreat. There is a lot of valuable information on these tracks - he was so knowledgable and generous with his talent. His last name was "Gardner" - he most certainly planted his kindness and talent to all those around him.

Rest in peace ya Ustaz Al . . .

http://sonicsahra.com/mp3/Al%20Garder/
Right click and Save As, to your computer.
Alan
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mellow Yellow

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 08:44 AM

I also had the pleasure of meeting Al at Simon's retreat in 2000. Very kind and warm hearted man as well as incredible talented musician. Condolences to his family and friends. The oud world has just lost another gem.
Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 04:30 PM

Hi everyone,
Your words of condolence and admiration for Al have been wonderful. I was at the Connecticut Kef this weekend, and I was able to talk to Richard about Al and his passing. Master oudmaker Peter Kyvelos was there, and we all stood at the hotel bar talking about what an amazing musician and kind human being Al was...Eric LaPerna, Al's percussionist for 7 years and my bandmate for 12, asked Richard if he could dedicate a song to Al, and Richard asked if Al had a favorite. We both answered instantly, 'Sirdus Vera Kar Ma Ga' by Udi Hrant Kenkulian. Al loved the song dearly, and often played it in dedication to his own late teacher, the master Kanuni Esber Coprucu. Richard played the song beautifully and kept playing until 3:30 am. It seemed the fitting way to mark Al's loss...he was so passionate about the dance aspect of Armenian and Anatolian music. In his mind, the perfect performance always involved lots of people dancing. I could feel Al there with us.
When I get any information about funeral or memorial arrangements, I will make it available, depending on what Al's wife and family decide to do.
All the best to everyone,
Amos

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 04:53 PM

hey all

I never even heard of Al and after you guys talked abotu him i feel like i knew him personaly. i am sorry to hear what happaned but i know everythign happans for the best.
we are with you AL.
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 06:49 PM

Amos,

Thanks for sharing that with us. It was kind of you to take the time.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 11:41 AM

I was shocked and saddened to hear this news.
I met Al for the first time at the 2001 Arabic Music Retreat, and every year it was a pleasure to be able to see him again and experience his music, his generosity and his amazing personality. He was a unique person whose absence will be sorely missed. I wish I had more recordings of his playing, it was inspiring and beautiful.
jimrrjim
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 03:01 PM

I met Al some 20+ years ago when he was a martial arts instructor and, if I remember correctly, a bassist. We connected in our love for Mingus and I have watched from a distance as Al became more and more interested in the oud and Arabic music. I was lucky enough to hear him perform dozens of times over the years and, though we were never more than passing aquaintances, his passing will leave a huge hole in the music scene in the region. ..and clearly from the comments before... far beyond.
Hestiabhn
Oud Admirer

Mood: sad

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 07:23 PM
Al Gardner

I knew Al as "Sensei Al"--the beloved martial arts teacher of my grandson. He was a big man with a big spirit and huge enthusiasm for all he did. He truly inspired the children who came to his dojo in Bath.

I did not know his musical side--and am now very remorseful that I missed his recent concert. After listening to "Yeraz" I am very eager to buy his CD. Does anyone know his wife? I wonder if she would consider re-releasing it. Yeraz is utterly beautiful.
Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 07:39 PM

Hestiabhn,
It is great to hear from one of Al's many martial arts students on this forum. I know that he was a dynamic and powerful practicioner of martial arts and his students must feel empty without him.
Eric LaPerna is dedicating himself to ensuring that Al's music gets released widely...along with Al's students and family we will make sure this happens. it is too early to talk details but much work will be done to make certain that Al's recorded music and his completed compositions be made available to musicians and scholars. His works are masterworks and should be played and studied as much as possible...there is initial talk of a memorial service in early december, so I will let you all know as I do.
I already miss him so much.
thanks all,
amos

Tengu
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 10:02 AM
Sensei Al

Hello all, my name is David Hills. I was a student of Al and I have been charged with seeing to the continuation of his school. With the help of an army of people that loved him I will see this done. We will not let him down.

I see that many of you would like to get a hold of some of his music. I have found at the Dojo several boxes of his CD's. His widow has requested that we set up the "Al Gardener Memorial Scholarship fund for Music and Martial arts” We plan on distributing these CD's with the proceeds going to that fund as well as accepting donations at the memorial PARTY!! that he requested. I will hop on here and leave the details on when and where as soon as we know. I can't say how quickly it can be done (the CD's) but if you would like one of these send me an e-mail and I will send you a note when we are ready the address is "wuhsing@wuhsing.net"
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 10:20 AM

Just a thought--
I am sure that there must be a lot of recordings of Al's lying around. It would be nice if somebody could compile some of his unreleased material, and put out a cd of it. The proceeds could go to his wife, and/or the fund.

Tengu
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Just a thought--
I am sure that there must be a lot of recordings of Al's lying around. It would be nice if somebody could compile some of his unreleased material, and put out a cd of it. The proceeds could go to his wife, and/or the fund.

This is a good Idea. Susan (his widow) is having me go through his files to extract the Martial arts stuff. I can tell you that there are many, many music files on there as well. I am not sure who will do it or when it will be done but I am sure that it will be done. I will ask Susan tonight what her thoughts on this are and who among his music friends the task should go to.

David
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top