Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Al Gardner Bardezbanian
charanguero
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 10:36 AM
Radio Special

My name is Andrew Reissiger and I am a guitarist/charango player and radio producer. A dear friend of mine used to work at the Center for Cultural Exchange in Portland Maine and knew Al. From his stories, and sharing CDs like 'From Kef to Classical' and 'Orientalism', I too have grown to know and love Al's music. I produce a radio show called World Tour that airs statewide in Georgia. I would like to dedicate this weeks show to Al. If anyone who knows him would like to share some thoughts about any aspect of the life of Alan Shavarsh, please feel free to write something and send it to me at dromedary@earthlink.net. Stories, memories, recordings, conversations, a poem ... anything. I think this show could possibly be aired in Maine and elsewhere. The show will air Sunday at 4pm and I need to have all my materials in the next 36 hours so that I can finish editing and submit the show Friday afternoon. Thank you.
Hello Amos ... remember Dromedary?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 11:38 AM

Hey Andrew,
Good to see you on this board. Not sure if you remember, I'm Rob's friend--we split a bill in NYC a while back (over a year ago . . .).

-Brian
charanguero
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 12:03 PM
Radio Show

Hey Brian,
i do remember you. I hope you are well. Here is my idea for this show. I'm working with Ryan McMaken from the Center for Cultural Exchange on some of this. The general breakdown of the show would be as follows:

1min - intro
5min - song
25min - music and bio, themes of Turkey/Armenia
15min - reOrientalism collaboration, themes of Islamic World and Western World
13min - teaching, words from his students and perhaps some music from his students

Some great audio from one of his classes at the Arabic Music Camp is available via this forum. I'd like to establish a story arc that links Esber Kuprucu, Alan, and Al's students across 3 generations. I have access to "From Kef to Classical" and "ReOrientalism" as well as a few tunes by Udi Hrant. I can't find anything by Esber Kuprucu.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated as I'm under a deadline for turning the show in by Friday afternoon.

Andrew
charanguero
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 02:04 PM

Can anyone add to this? Birthdate? When his family immigrated to the U.S.? Some history about the Dance Hall scene?

Alan Shavarsh Bardezbanian was born into an Armenian family in Massachussetts in 1951. As a child he taught himself how to play the Oud and by the time he was a teenager, he had mastered the Armenian dance hall repertoire. In a move highly unusual for an Armenian, he sought out the great Turkish kanun master Esber Kuprucu, to whom he apprenticed from 1977 until his recent death…mastering the complex system of makam, Turkish classical music.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 06:00 AM

Al's wife sent this obituary yesterday. I though it would be of interest to post it.

If anyone is interested in making a donation to the Scholarship fund, I would be willing to consolidate the funds into a paypal account and forward them to the fund on behalf of the Mikeouds online community. The deadline would be sometime before the memoral service occurs in order to send the funds by that time (Dec. 2). I still have to clear this with Mike, but I'm sure he will be all for it. I'll post some info later this morning.

Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 07:45 AM

Hi everyone,
Thanks Jameel for letting everyone know about Al's Scholarship Fund and posting his obituary. Anyone interested in contributing should send donations to : Al Gardner Scholarship Foundation, c/o First Federal Savings and Loan, PO Box 488 Bath, Maine 04530.
Al's wishes were to have a party in his memory, and we hope to do him proud. The memorial party is scheduled for Sunday, December 3rd at the Hyde School gymnasium in Bath, Maine from 9am to 1pm. There will be plenty of music, just like Al would have wanted.
Al's martial arts students have been monitoring this thread overflowing with love for Al, and it just so wonderful to have this forum to share the grief of his loss. Thank you to Mike and to everyone for being here during this time.
Sincerely,
Amos

Our music is like an ocean...
barbt
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 01:03 PM

I have just stumbled upon this message board while searching for information about Al, having just heard about his passing today. For those of you in the greater Portland, Maine area, Jackie Nice on WMPG (90.9 FM) will be dedicating her Sunday show "Eastern Sands Radio" to Al this week, December 19, 3:30-5 pm. I'll be there with her as I have some stories to relate. This is such a sad event for music. Thank you for sending the information about the party. May we pass that along to our listeners? I will certainly be playing his music on my show on Wednesday (10:30am-noon) as well.

In the late 90's I had the wonderful opportunity to write and perform music for a play that was produced at the Oak St. Theater, called Pushing Through, in Portland (sadly, the theater is no longer there). It was a play that dealt with women in two families (ficticious, but based on real experiences). One Palestinian, one Israeli. It was an incredible learning experience for me both musically and historically. During the process I went to visit Al at his home to get a crash course on Middle Eastern music - enough so to get the flavor I needed for the show. I had/have listened to and programmed the music for years (and now play it a bit), but it was so helpful to hear him speak about it. He was so gracious and fun to meet with and helped me out tremendously. He never saw the show, but I did give him a video tape, and he was complimentary about what I had accomplished. A relief for this white, suburban American! Anyway, it was an experience I've held close to my heart for many years.

Thanks all for your comments - it's been a helpful read.
barbt
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 01:05 PM

Forgot to sign that last post!

Barb Truex
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 02:24 PM

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of this great musician and human being. May he rest in peace.

Sincerely,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
jshead
Oud Junkie

Mood: Peace

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 11:34 AM

From the Portland, Maine Newspaper

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan S. Gardner, 56

WEST BATH -- Alan S. Gardner, 56, of West Bath, died suddenly on Thursday evening, Nov. 9, at Mid Coast Hospital of heart failure. He was the husband of Suzan Steer, with whom he shared over 35 years of marriage and friendship.
Born on March 2 1950, in Lynn, Mass., he was the son of Alfred Gardner and the late Alice Mooradian Gardner. He attended Swampscott High School in Massachusetts, and Kent's Hill School and then Bates College on a football scholarship.
After his junior year at Bates, Al took a year to study composition and arranging at the Berklee College of Music. He founded and led the Bates College Big Band, and was musical director and conductor for the Bates College Theater Orchestra. He graduated from Bates in 1973, with a major in theater and minors in religion, art history, and music. While at Bates, he studied composition with Professor Elliott Schwartz of Bowdoin College.
Al's Armenian grandparents were born during the Ottoman Empire in Anatolia and Syria. In 1977, Al began studying the Turkish Makam system of composition under the tutelage of master musician, Esber Koprucu, a relationship that continued until Mr. Koprucu's death in 2003.
Considered a virtuoso of the oud and a master of the G clarinet, Al was a popular performer at the Maine Center for Cultural Exchange and other venues. His band, the Alan Shavarsh Bardezbanian Middle Eastern Ensemble, played Armenian, Arabic, Greek, and original music from both the folk and classical traditions. His recent CD, From Kef to Classical, won wide critical acclaim. He was also director of the Bowdoin College Middle East Ensemble and a faculty member at the Arabic Music Retreat at Mount Holyoke College.
Al was the commissioned composer for ReOrientalism which received funding from the National Endowment for the Arts, the Rockefeller Foundation, the New England Foundation for the Arts, and the LEF Foundation. This marked the first time an Armenian composer was commissioned to compose Peshrevs and Semais (classical Middle Eastern forms) since the Ottoman Empire. He was an
artist in residence at the New World Theatre's Play Developmental Laboratory and was a featured artist at the National Folk Festival produced by the National Council for the Traditional Arts.
An accomplished professional martial arts instructor for over 31 years, Al began studying both Karate and Kung Fu in 1963. He was full contact Kuo Shu champion in 1968 and 1969, and was honored as Cultural Athlete of the Year by the Chinese Embassy. Al held the titles of Renshi Shihan Kaiden and the rank of 8th Dan in Shotokan Karate-Do and 3rd Dan in Hakko Ryu and Jui Jitsu. He also held the titles of SiGung (teacher of teachers) in the Kung Fu arts of Tai Chi , Pakua and Hsing-I, and the title of Sifu (instructor) in Wing Chun.
Al served as martial arts instructor at Bates and Bowdoin Colleges and at Harvard University along with teaching various police departments in Maine and Massachusetts. He also served on the board of directors for a number of national organizations and was Assistant Director of the National Martial Arts Association.
Al established Wu Hsing Shan on Front St., in Bath, in 1975, as a traditional Japanese and Chinese martial arts school, where he has taught martial arts to hundreds of area children and adults. In a tribute to Al, his students have vowed to continue the school and its tradition of teaching self defense, physical and spiritual well-being, and character development.
In addition to his wife and his father, he is survived by several cousins; brother and sister-in-laws, Michele and Joel Mann of Castine, Eric and Becky Rolfson of Albion, Lynn Boulger of Blue Hill; and his adored nieces and nephews Sotherd Steer, Matthew and John Rolfson, and Morgan <b>rooster</b>burn.
A memorial service will be held at 9 a.m., Sunday, Dec. 3, at Hyde School in Bath. A celebration of Al's life will follow the service.

The family requests that memorial contributions be made to:

The Al Gardner Scholarship Foundation
Care of
First Federal Savings & Loan
P.O. Box 488
Bath, Maine 04530
__._,_.___
Oudchi
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 09:07 PM

To All of Al's Family and Friends,

Once upon a time a long time ago, my shop door opened and in walked Al Bardezbanian Gardner with an oud for repair. We talked about our love of ouds and music and of players past and present. Hours drifted by. A friendship ensued which has lasted for more than three decades.

Al had a way of capturing your soul. Something intangible in his persona always made you feel good. From that first meeting and the hundreds of meetings and telephone calls, the shared life experiences, our trials and tribulations, I felt he was more of a brother to me, than just a friend. Al felt that way too. I'm sure most of us felt the electricity, the warmth and sincerety of this very special person. When he would call, and say he'd be down to see me or whenever the opportunity came up for us to get together, excitement filled the air. I knew I was going to have a great day.

All of us, who have been priviledged to have known him even for a short time, have been blessed. That's evident from the many beautiful responses I have read. I'm devasted at the loss of my friend. No longer will we sit and joke or enjoy a good cigar together.

My ears hunger for his high pitched, explosive voice saying "Hi Ya Pal". But I know that when life gets me down, I will always think fondly of Al and I will feel good all over once again. Although his life was short, the memory of Al will sustain us when we're down, his teachings will guide us and his friendship will endure.

As I write this, I'm puffing on a stogie, drinking a little port, as Al and I had done so often. I lift my glass and give a toast to Al, my Brother "As long as life and memory last, I will remember you"!

Peter S. Kyvelos

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 05:24 AM

Dear Peter,

How thoughtful of you to write such personal and touching words about Al. I only knew his voice for a few years, but I agree, I miss it too. It's also a real honor, and I'm speaking for many people here, to have you participate here. Your contribution is valued.

vin
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 09:36 AM

Hi friends & family of Al,
we agree this is great how we can continue to honor Al and his music.
we would like to give those interested a link to WBAR Barnard College radio show, "Oriental Moods." This is an archive of a show broadcast on July 18th, 2005 which features tracks from Al's album, from Kef to Classical. Al's music starts about 50min into the show.
the link:

http://www.wbar.org/playlist.php?dowhat=continueshow&instanceid...

and a short Video clip that was taken of Al playing live in 2005, he was accompanied by tim o'keefe on percussion. you can watch this video at this link below:

http://www.missiononmars.com/AL%20OUD%202005%20MVI_0535.AVI

Al he brought his knowledge, patience, and great spirit to all who came in contact with him.
he was a great teacher as well as a great musician, and we will not forgot him.
sincerely,
vin
A.P.
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 07:08 PM

It has been noted elsewhere in this thread that there is to be a Memorial service for Al in Bath on 3rd December.

There has been a request for musicians, who wish to play at the memorial service, to make contact by way of the memorial website at:
http://www.bardezbanian.com/for_musicians.html

Greg
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 08:35 AM

Reading the obituary above, I find it amazing that one person could have achieved so much in such a relatively short life. An inspiration to us all - may he rest in peace.

David

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top