Printable Version  
Author: Subject: old strings
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 03:32 PM
old strings

hey all
i have a quick question to ask anyone here.
What did they use for strings years ago centrys ago bc pymids came out and labella and aqulla.
what was it made out of
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 03:51 PM

I imagine they used gut strings
will_oud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 06:55 PM

They most likely used plain gut for the trebble strings and coper, silver, or brass wound on silk or gut.

William F. Sparks
INFAMOUD
Oud Junkie

Mood: Im good where I am

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 10:09 PM

Gut was definately the main ingredient in making strings way back when..But I believe they used to Oil there strings with Varnish like substance..
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 07:03 AM

hey guys

what is gut made out of i have no understanding of this basicly.
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 07:48 AM

It's made out of the stomach of an animal. I believe they usually used goats or sheep. Gut strings have a distinctive tone but are notoriously hard to work with and are very temperature sensitive.

You can still get gut strings but they are quite expensive. Most baroque orchestras who perform on period instruments use real gut strings.
will_oud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 08:12 AM

I on't know if you can get gut sets for oud, but you can get gut sets for lute, which should be adaptable for oud. Gut is also refered to as cat gut. It is usually the fibers from the stomach or intestine which have been boiled to seperate them from the fat.

William F. Sparks
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 09:04 AM

The famous musician Zeryab in andalusian spain was said to have strings made of the gut of a Lion. It was said to be the best sounding oud in the whole of court in cordoba.
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 09:09 AM

hey guys
thx alot i now know something new i would never understand what u guys said if u didnt explain but now i know .
i wonder who would ever think of using animal for stings
who knows

we do
thx sammy

jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 06:56 PM

Early texts tell us that the strings used over a thousand years ago were made from gut or silk and even give details on how many strands of silk or gut were used to make each size of string. The gut strings were made from the intestines of an animal - the best being considered to be those made from the gut of a young lion - but likely just superstition just as the worst strings were claimed to be those made from a serpent!!.
In Europe most gut strings were (and still are) made from sheep's intestines. There is no evidence to confirm the use of the intestines of cats - so the origins of the term 'cat gut' remains something of a mystery. It is likely that strings made from these materials continued in use on the oud until relatively recent times.
Metal wire overspun strings were not invented and did not come into use in Europe until the late
17th C. The strings used on European guitars prior to the general introduction of nylon strings in the 1950's were gut for the trebles and silk filament overspun with copper or silver wire for the basses.
When I purchased some oud strings in Cairo in 1964 these were exactly the same as 19th C guitar strings - gut trebles and silk overspun for the basses.
There are string makers today specializing in the manufacture of 'authentic' silk and gut strings for lutes and other historical stringed instruments and who could supply custom strings in these materials for the oud also.
So, if you really want to find out how ouds used to sound centuries ago it is possible.
I do not have my files on this subject immediately to hand but will post information in more detail when I can find them. Early string research is an extensive and interesting subject in its own right.
INFAMOUD
Oud Junkie

Mood: Im good where I am

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aquila
Hello my friend,
I am going to consider new ways to produce oud sets.
I mean here not to consider the standard or light oud sets (that alreaday work) but something of very special.

I ask: do someone know about the oud strings before 1940's??
strung with gut for the first three upper strings and wound silk basses for the rest.This was the choice of the past.
Maybe the upper three were in pure silk also.

well, I have already made such set just to ear the result: gut strings and silk wound basses produce a quite warm sound.
Was this the true oud sound??

The second idea is to start to produce a new Aquila ud set made with pure silver wires.
Normally all brands (Aquila enclose) employ silvered copper wires or, sometime, pure red copper ones.
Pure silver wires grant a different feeling and lifetime.
what do you think??

Ciao
Mimmo from Aquila

JUST WANTED TO SHOW YOU GUYS A COMMENT THAT WAS POSTED BY AQUILA IN 2004...MAYBE WE SHOULD EMAIL HIM AND SEE IF HE EVER FINISHED THIS KIND OF SET..IT IS CLOSEST TO THE STRINGS THEY USED WAY BACK WHEN...AND HE SEEMS WILLING AND EAGER TO PUSH NEW SETS OUT...
Elias
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 04:57 AM

Hello:wavey:
I regulary use the Aquila Pure Silver Wound basses,expecially on Nahat...well the sound is so warm and deep....!!!!!...pure tarab just playing the open strings!!!! ;-)

..and yes, their lifetime seem to be much longer then
the normal strings and expecially the red copper wound....wich are still great.
Using Aqula Pure silver with Gut on the Trebles(expecially with Gut Re strings) you are near to reach the true old sound but the set become very expensive... but using Pure Silver with Nylgut on treble you still have a deep old sound with lower price...(but still more expensive than the standars sets)
Salamat:airguitar:
Elias
Elias
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 04:59 AM

WOW!!!...now i am and Oud Junkie!!
Elias

Go To Top