Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Finding the right oud, help appreciated
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 06:53 PM
Finding the right oud, help appreciated

So heres the deal. I am thinking about getting a new oud.

A fixed bridge oud. I am thinking this will be my dream oud.

I have narrowed it down to a Turunz, a shehata and possibly a ghadban.

While i really dont think getting my dream oud means shelling out an arm and a leg. The Sale that Mr. Turunz is offering is rather tempting and I want to make sure i make a wise decision befor it is too late.

While I do not know what my dream oud is I do know the characteristics that I want.

1. It has to be made for arabic tuning

2. I dont want a deep bassy sound, like full bodied egyption ouds. Something a but brighter.

3. As few overtones as possible. Just a bold sound, crisp sound with good sustain.

now for the advice im looking for.

a.) have asked about oud sizes in a couple of other posts and some say they are comfortable with the "turkish " size of an oud. I know my uncle preffered turkish models for arabic playing.

Does anyone thing I should be certain on the size of the oud while ordering.

Full Egyptian is too big for me, syrian is cool. I am short and stalky with a muscular build so sometimes my arms can be limited in reach.

b.) how about rossetes. I never really cared for them. I like the simple elegance of plain sound holes but during my research i read that the rosettes serve a purpose of balancing the sound or something like that.

My Samir azar has no rosettes and it does have a rather noticable echo to it. is it becase of the lack of rosettes?

so what do you guys think. Can anyone advise me on how to distinctly find what i am looking for.

so bottom line, i want a oud that gives me the sound to play crisp arabic style musics. thats all i really want. thanks guys your help is much appreciated and forgive me ignorance in the matter.

Rami
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 06:54 PM

by the way, excuse the typos. if anything is not clear please ask me to clarify my misspellings.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 07:17 PM

What about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Oud-by-Mohammad-Fadel-Iraq_W0QQitemZ11005703605...

Must sound simmilar to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjuQWQx_6_w

Watch this video of a Faruk turunz oud for arabic tuning.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-5735990514479056663&q=o...

abadi el johar's new shehata oud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyGA7Ilvll0

Oudman's Ghadban he's selling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwO-IOhVdbI
udiserhan
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 12:01 AM

Palestine48 Hi,
Try Turkish oud. Especially made by Sabri GOKTEPE. These are the bests of the World. But you didn't mention how much you will pay. You can buy from 600 up to 5000€. if you want really good ones than you must pay more. On the other hand rosettas are not only ornaments. They make the sound clear and more volumed. So the lack of rosettes is not good for sound. Tuning is a different manner. it is connected what kind and wich tickness string you will use. On the other hand the best strings for oud is made by Pyramid in Germany. But try for lute ones not for oud. ( Lute strings )
You can select evry thickness with them.
excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 08:33 AM

I got a 1874 ancient/guitar/oud/lute/mondolin for you made by the best maker in the world. this oud is the most prized of all ouds and many famous have played on it. antique! antigue! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

just kidding, rami- turunz sounds good... but- I told you man, just splurge on a new ghadban or one of those beautiful al-tayyar ouds! don't be a miser ya zelemeh!

tarik
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 09:37 AM

Mizer My butt man, lets see who pays for drinks or dinner next time we go hang out.

actually my decision for a turunz over a ghadban is for personal reasons and not because its cheaper. they are about the same.

i asked about al tayyer, there is no question. i would need the worlds first mortgage on an oud
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 06:51 AM

Dear friend
try to see what sound you prefer....personally I play with Dimitris instruments,but I can asure you that the value-money deal with the instruments it's very important.It's pleasent to have more than one oudmaker instruments.It's never enough....believe me!
Regards to all:wavey:
Mike nice to chat again bro
Spyros Koliavasilis

INFAMOUD
Oud Junkie

Mood: Im good where I am

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 12:43 PM

You should check out my listing..A Shehata Oud that seems to fit your need in terms of size and sound..

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAURICE-SHEHATA-PROFESSIONAL-11-STRING-OUD-Lute...
excentrik
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 04:11 PM

that shehata does look pretty nice- i like the shape and design of the face, it kinda reminds of me of one iraqi oud i saw on iraqioud.com back in the day- who was the maker? anyone?

anyway-- rami, habibi, i wasn't calling you a miser ya zelemeh- i was just making a stupid reference to our conversation the other day-

hurry up and buy! i want to see a new oud soon, i haven't been around a new oud in a while... how selfish of me, huh? plus- ive never played a turkish oud in my life... can't wait.

tarik
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 05:54 PM

Tarik- I know cuz, its all love between us. I was jokin back. It takes a lot for me to get offended. Ya im pretty stuck on the turunz oud at this point. I am just looking for a distinct sound, sharp and clear Hi's with mellow low's but not too much echo.

Other than that I have been listening to the joubran brother's cds a lot lately and i love their sound. If there is a way I can get in contact with a joubran oud I am interested in that also.

Yallah bro you will be around a new oud soon enough, hurry up and get famous so I can say one of my boys made it big. Plus I can be your business manager. Of course I'd only do it for the chicks.:cool:
excentrik
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 09:20 PM

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!

hahaha- famous huh? ya zelemeh who else do you know performs in front of 2500 people in Jordan? hahaha... just being concieted- you can be my business manager anyday:bounce::bounce::bounce:

tarik
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 09:44 PM

2500 thats it? Alright I am hiring a promotions team right away. Bars, Clubs, Churches and Mosques, your name will be out there. ha ha

Thats awsome bro, im still waiting on stories man.

P.S. to the rest of group, excuse my rudeness I have not thanked everyone. you guys are a great help. if anyone has some personal stories about turunz, ghadban or joubran ouds theyd like to share please u2u me. also if anyone has advice on wood choices and measurements please hit me again thanks all.

Go To Top