Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud players in Oregon?
hani1969
Oud Admirer

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 11:02 AM
Oud players in Oregon?

I recently moved from New York City to Portland, Oregon and wondering if there are any oud players out here. Or anyone who plays middle eastern music at all would be nice.
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 08:45 PM

Hi Hani1969,

There used to be a guy in Grant's Pass, named Steve Skaggs, he also played clarinet, I haven't seen the guy in eons. I remember him from a backstage meeting a Rakassah like 15 or so years ago. I don't toss phone numbers, so I'll check thru my archives and see if I can dig it up. Good luck.

Regards..PaulO
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 11:38 AM

I'm in Vancouver , WA and there are several oudists in Portland. Wednesday nights I play in an ensemble called Arabesque with Michael Beach- drums and vocals, Geoff George - keyboards, Brenda Erickson - violin at It's a Beautiful Pizza on Belmont at 34th ave. Friday nite Arabesque is at Pars restaurant on Capitol Highway near PCC Sylvania with Daniel Koos playing oud. Daniel is the regular oudist with The Brothers of the Baladi, but I sub for him sometimes. We also are doing a Christmas concert Dec 10 with Ishmael playing kanoon at the Grace Memorial Episcopal Church, 1535 NE 17th, in Portland. Those are the performances I know of, but I know some other oudists as well as Steve Skaggs, who lives in Grant's Pass. I'm doing some repair and restoration for Steve currently, but Steve isn't performing currently although he is a fine Turkish style oudist. Come by the venues or u2u or email me at droud2002@yahoo.com for more contact info and I'll hook you up..

paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 06:18 PM

Hi Hani,

Looks like Richard's got the info. Have fun.

Regards...PaulO
hani1969
Oud Admirer

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 11:48 AM

Thanks Richard, I'm so glad to know there are some oud players in the area. I'll definitely come see Arabesque in the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to meeting you.

Hani

Go To Top