Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What type of Oud is the best Oud?
SparkMusic
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 07:24 PM
What type of Oud is the best Oud?

I need to know which is the best Oud to buy. i.e. Iraqi (Baghdadi), Syrian-Halebi, Lebanese, Turikish, Egyptian, orMoroccan. I hear the Iraqi Ouds made by Fadel are the best sounding in the world. I saw one made by Mohammed Fadal (Fadel) between $200-300 US. I see the Syrian Oud made by Ibrahim Al Sukkar costs more than $1000.:) I need to know which Oud is good to buy (Right now, I can't afford a $1000 Oud, and it's probably not worth it to me since I have never even played an Oud)
Thank you very much:) ;)
will_oud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 11:43 AM

The question of which type is good depends mostly on your taste. If you like a bright sound, and like Turkish, Armenian, and/or Greek music, you may want to get a Turkish oud. Webcites to go to for this are http://www.oudmaster.com (Faruk Turuns, http://www.eraydinsazevi.com.tr (Haluk Eraydin), and Kankaya Music. If you like the darker Egyptian/Syrian/Lebonese/Iraqi sound, I suggest talking to makers like Nazih Ghadban (http://www.oudnazihghadban.com, Shahata ouds, and/or Yaroub Fadel. All these makers are great. You may want to speak with them about there pricing. As long as the oud has a decent action, good quality sound board (made of spruce, ceter or any other good tone wood), the bowl or back is of good quality (made of a hard wood such as Walnut, mahogany, wenge, etc. If you have all these atributes plus a good reputable maker, you have a good oud. If anyone has anything else to add here, let me know. Thanks.

William F. Sparks
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 01:08 PM

the Fadel oud you see on ebay is a fake... But it could be a good oud. ITs made by ahmed abdul halim as you can clearly tell by all the oud attributes.

and the sukar looks like a scam... price is too high, pictures come from a different person that sold the same oud a couple of months ago. Shady Shady stuff...

so the first is maybe a better choice for a beginer but dont think your getting a real fadel for that much.

Any of the makers Will talked about are verry good... only thing is that there ouds are more expensive but well worth it. And if you dont end up liking the oud. you will find someone to buy your oud almost intantly.
will_oud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 01:43 PM

Right on Samir. Haluk Eraydin's ouds start at about $200 for his learner model. That's the type I use. The interesting atribute about Sukar ouds is the neck has an adjustable truss rod like a guitar.

William F. Sparks
excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 12-19-2006 at 06:07 PM

Thats kinda funny- "Syrian-Halebi"... (we all the know the makers of Halab)- purely an Ebay creation huh? Those are all the Ali Khalifeh fakes right? I saw one guy in Jerusalem (pupsiked or something like that) was selling "halifa" syrian ouds... funny.

tarik
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-19-2006 at 06:51 PM

Yah but suprisingly this is the oud I bought and restaured from him cuz it came in broken here is the link. Those ouds suposedly from halab he's selling are made by ahmed abdul halim in egypt the ouds he makes can be really good especialy his bowls wich are really nice and made of nice woods.

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=4256

you can hear it here
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=4320

It was one verry nice sounding oud and It was purchased by one of the forrum members after he tried it and was pleased with the way it sounded after I restored it.

and by the way Samir Azar is from Halab and I think Sukar maybe there too not sure though.
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 12-19-2006 at 10:55 PM

Azar is actually a homsi

sukar is halabi
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-20-2006 at 06:42 AM

Oh yah my Bad

Go To Top