Printable Version  
Author: Subject: LearnOud.com
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 04:30 AM
LearnOud.com

Hello All

I don't know how many people in this forum have tried using this virtual oud method, which seems a good way if there is no teachers in your area. However, and I'm not sure if its just me; but in his lesson on tuning the oud; he seems out of tune!. Example, his high C is somewhere between C and C#. The question is; if one is to tune thier oud to his, so as to play along with the lessons - would the extra pressure of the higher tuning cause damage to the instrument??
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 06:14 AM

Hi Melbourne,
I'm a fellow student of ustaz Ali, I use a chromatic tuner and I don't seem to have a problem tuning to his oud and no problems with the higher tuning.
I have two Kuaiti Salmeen and a Ali Khalifa, they all are fine with the high tuning, I use orange pyramids and aquila nygut...

best of luck with your excersises

Awad
hani1969
Oud Admirer

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 12:22 PM

Could you tell me what your experience has been like with LearnOud.com? Is it something for beginners or advanced players. Does one have to be able to read Arabic to use the site? I can speak and understand Arabic well, but can't read it much. Also, how much are the lessons?

Thanks,
Hani
will_oud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 02:48 PM

There is an English section of the cite. Check out his music! He is truely a master of the Iraqi oud.

William F. Sparks
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 11:04 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

I have not actually subscribed to the website, but I only supplied my email and I get sent short weekly clips showing the nature of the lessons. If you understand Arabic well you should be fine, but I imgine to navigate through the site you may need to be able to read as well, unless the website has changed recently. Supposedly and English edition is coming, but this was mentioned when the site was first launched quite a few months back. I think the cost of the subscription is a monthly access fee of around $30US which is reasonable. Alhtough I would prefer paying for each month at a time rather than have an account debited monthly.

Go To Top