Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electric Oud?
Sol
Oud Addict

Mood: Kind of Hungry...

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 03:04 AM
Electric Oud?

I've heard of rare creatures called electric oud, and I've seen pictures, but I need to hear one before I go off and buy it. Anyone happen to have a .mp3 of one or anything like that? Or happen to be selling one?Or know someone who does?

Remember,I live in Egypt, so make sure you can deliver it;)

Oh yeah, I'd like to hear an electric oud with some effects on it, like distortion, so you know... you can rock out to it:xtreme::)):airguitar:

I think that was a bit too many smilies, but hey...:D
will_oud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 09:16 AM

Okay... I do know someone who makes and sells electric ouds. These ouds have the solid body construction like electric guitar, but have transducer pickups under the bridge like acoustic guitars. This limits the possibility of having distortion because of the feed back associated with these pickups. I don't have a sound file, but one maker who is a forum member. His name is Haluk Eraydinsazevi. last time I checked his price list, his electric oud was $759 (not including shipping.) his webcite is http://www.eraydinsazevi.com.tr.

William F. Sparks
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 10:04 AM

Sukar and Najarian also make electric ouds. Will is right about using effects on the pickups. I imagine modulation effects would probably work though.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 12:47 PM

You can find some in Egypt... Look for a guy named Mohamed "Marko" he makes nice electric ouds. Iam not sure where to find him tho.
If you go to maurice shehata http://www.mauriceouds.com , on "Masr ou Sudan" Street. He can surely direct you to find a electric oud. The sound of them ultimatly depends on the pickup and on the suporting equipement you need nice effects and amplificator or else it wont sound good.
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Moud

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 02:11 PM

I have a Najarian electric oud and have experimented with using effects in the past. Some work better than others, especially delay, chorus, etc. It's been a while, but I don't think heavy distortion worked too well.

I can try recording something but I won't have time this week, unfortunately.

Nathan :airguitar:
Sol
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 02:12 PM

Thanks a lot, guys.

That's OK, Nathan, I can wait. I was just thinking about for the long term.

I checked the website out, Samir, and I couldn't find any electric ouds... I also know, Marko, he made my first Oud. I haven't met him personally, but my teacher has and that's how I got it.
will_oud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 12-15-2006 at 12:04 PM

Hey Soul. Goe to the oud cafe webcite, which is one of the links on this cite, and go to the recordings. Mavrothis, a member of this forum, has a real good recording of himself playing electric oud in an introduction to a song by Liz Berlin. It's great stuff. I just found it today.

William F. Sparks
JC1907
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 07:22 AM

Sol,

Check out my video from youtube featuring Coskun Sabah. He's playing the Najarian E-2000 model on stage. I liked the tone.
ExtreamTarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: ...Lessa Faker...

[*] posted on 12-19-2006 at 02:14 PM

Hey Sol,

I found this video on youtube, it's a Sukar electrical oud. The recording sound isn't very good though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIJYjdv7QQM

Regards,
Ibrahim
Sol
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 09:49 PM

Hmm, it seems everyone is telling me that distortion is a definite negative, so I'll take the hint. But, was that last video clip with a Oud under audio effects or just a normal electric Oud?

Nope, I'm not in any way associated with that Sol.

I think I'm going to stall my quest for an electric Oud, now since I'm going to get the next best thing for my birthday: An 11 nylon string electric fretless guitar.

A curious mix of east and west, perfect for the fusion music I am attempting to create.
Sol
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 03:55 AM

Fareed Haque is definitely amazing, but I've never heard his actual fretless playing. The CDs I've listened to are just normal guitar. Can I ask for a sound clip?

Well, obviously not, no one would just stick distortion in a traditional setting. It just wouldn't work. I'm interested in an Oriental Fusion or just using it in my own music, which seems to be tinged with an oriental flavor on whatever instrument I play because I started with a Oud.

I've never played cumbus, but the wide neck was remarked on by some other fretless players. I imagine with a little practice it won't be that difficult to grasp.

It's going to arrive in about two weeks, so mabye I'll treat/punish you all to my playing of the Glintessar later on.
Sol
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 10:37 AM

Ah yes, Rachid Taha is splendid as well, though most people get deterred by his rather unique vocal style... Plus, oriental music is an acquired taste for most non-orientals, so his music is not usually liked by most people I know. If you understand what he is saying,(I only understand part of it, as he speaks in an Algerian dialect most of the time) it adds another dimension to it as well. I have like 6 of his albums, so I'm well versed in his style. He's quite a rebel, and I love that quality in singers. The same quality that brought Bob Marley and U2 stardom. His best work is on 'Made in Medina', though the song you're talking about is some of his early work.

Cheb Khaled is my favorite Rai artist, though. Did you know he taught himself all kinds of instruments? He's the only recent Arab popular artist I actually enjoy listening to. I'm also writing my extended essay(an independent study I do for my IB program) on him. Basically, I'm looking at the influences on his music. So far, I've isolated Reggae as a definite one. I'm attempting to find some Jazz or Flamenco in it, because I definitely have a feeling there is something there. Funk is one also( He used to listen to James Brown), but I don't really think that's a formal style that I can put in a serious analytical essay.

Hmm, well, the reason I've heard is that they've attempted to keep true to the Oud influence by keeping them close to each other. Also, the proportions would make the neck extremely huge and awkward to deal with if the strings were spaced out further. So, I've heard anyways.

Thanks for the luck. Who knows... Mabye I'll make it big someday.:shrug: Hehe, I wish.
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Moud

[*] posted on 2-6-2007 at 10:48 AM

OK, it's been awhile, but I've finally got a recording of electric oud with (way too many) effects finished. It's not perfect, but it was fun recording.

There are three oud parts: the main one has some flange and delay, there's one with distortion and one with wah-wah. This was recorded directly from my Line 6 Spider 212 amp (using the built-in effects and the wah-wah on the pedalboard) into my PC, using ProTools Free.

http://www.easternstrings.com/oud_e.htm

Enjoy!

Nathan :airguitar:
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 05:19 AM

Solid body ouds can vary drastically in quality, reliability and workmanship not to mention sound. The Najarian I play onstage is completely reliable, the workmanship is superb and the sound is huge plugged direct into a P.A. system. It's an active system he uses, an onboard preamp with equalization made possible by a bridge design that is like classical guitar. But the sound is that of an oud. I played it with The Blind Boys of Alabama on Austin City Limits and with Jackson Browne on several European T.V. shows. It's also on YouTube. I've never had any problems with mine. Definitely worth the price. D.Lindley
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lintfree
... It's also on YouTube. ... D.Lindley

Hey, El RayoX! which vid? You've only got about a thousand on UT. btw, do you know if Naj uses the B-Band transducer?

Go To Top