Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Beit Al Oud
Sol
Oud Addict

Mood: Kind of Hungry...

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 03:23 AM
Beit Al Oud

Well, it's not necessarily a Oud project, but technically it has something to do with the Oud.

You've most probably heard of Naseer Shamma, if you're a Oud lover, but you may not know he resides in Cairo, Egypt, and has his own Oud school.I also happen to live in Egypt as well.

I suppose that it is fate that this would happen, since I was fascinated by the Oud because of him and after seeing his show, I pursued learning the Oud despite my mother's objection. She didn't see how I could be any good at it, considering I barely ever listened to non- western, let alone oriental oud, music.

Well, its been a year and a half since I started and I've gotten quite proficient for the amount of time I've been playing and the lack of expierence I had in the actual music I was learning. I've got to thank my current teacher for that.

But,anyway, if you're still reading, I went to the Beit Al Oud, Naseer's Oud Academy a few months back, because I wanted to talk to him for a school report I was working on. During the questions, he asked me one. Did I play the oud? Why, of course, I said. My mother who had driven me embarassingly told him that he was the reason I got into it. He grinned rather like a Olympic gold medalist and then asked me another question. Why hadn't I come to Beit Al Oud to learn the oud?

Well, there were a number of reasons, actually. Cairo is a metropolis, and I lived on the other side of it. Coming everyday would be a hassle, if I attempted to do so. I also had school, and not much time to do so.Plus, my oud teacher is pretty good as well, so I was satisfied with him.

But I didn't say any of this.I just smiled and said I didn't know. He suggested I should come and then told me all the details...price of lessons, how, when, why,etc.

So, now, I think the only time I will be able to do this is during the summer, since I will be out of school and have nothing else to do while my friends are on holiday.

So what do you all think? Should I become Naseer Shamma's apprentice? Oh, sounds epic.

:rolleyes:
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 07:16 AM

Nothing but good can come from it...
Its an oportunity many would take in a heart beat.
Yalla Bina is say to you.
I heard this one guy named Abdallah on the old Zeryab forrums play oud. He was a graduate from beit el oud and he played Nasser's peices to a tee. And I heard that its the foccus of going to beit el oud.
Sol
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 12:22 PM

Kind of, Beit Al Oud is pretty much Shamma's own creation, and he teaches their according to his own rules and methodology.

Technically speaking,he personally doesn't teach you, but it's all his knowledge. Kind of stange,but what he does is that he acts as principal/headmaster while his students, who were his first students at the academy, teach you the actual oud playing he taught them, but he lectures and is always there to help.
fyenix
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 11:16 PM

hi sol check out the learning environment there at the school:
marking | yoshiko matsuda from japan, || me n ||| abdallah
fyenix
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 11:18 PM

this one during our concert at the school: abdallah looking at me for a snap
Sol
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 02:17 PM

Cool pics. Who's the instructor in the first one, or is it just you guys playing together?

I actually went today to see a show, though it has no Ouds in it. Fairly interesting. A fusion of contemporary Egyptian and Swiss music.

But anyways, I'll probably see you in the summer, when I'll be coming as a student, fyenix. See you then, I suppose.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 10:34 PM

Does every one play a Yaaroub oud over there?
Or are they from a maker in egypt?
fyenix
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 10:49 PM

only mr naseer and me use yaroub oud. most of the instructors and students use ali jaafar and ageeb. some are using sukar.
fyenix
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 10:52 PM

hi sol, the first pic was taken from a rehearsal for a concert in alexandria lead by number 1 instructor nehad el sayed (first to graduate under beit el oud)
Mazin
Oud Lover

Mood: respect to all

[*] posted on 12-15-2006 at 05:22 AM

Do not wait till summer. Go to Naseer's Oud school at once. Remmember this advice after 40 years!

Abdul :applause:
Sol
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazin
Do not wait till summer. Go to Naseer's Oud school at once. Remmember this advice after 40 years!

Abdul :applause:

Obviously didn't read the first part saying why I can't , but thanks for your enthusiasm.;)
prince oud
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-20-2009 at 07:57 AM

By the way, do you need a musical background to join the beit al oud?
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 11:39 AM

No, you don't need any musical background to follow lessons there, it goes from beginner level to concertist.
But depending on the time you may spend there, I think it worth trying to get at least basis before going there, in order to fully benefit higher level lessons, which are more difficult to find outside arabic countries and Turkey.

I'm thinking also about something else, did you think about Mavrothis Kontanis ? He is making online lessons, really great possibility to think about.
fhydan
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-30-2009 at 03:36 AM

Sol!
I wish I was in Cairo so I can attend Beit al Oud!:D
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 3-30-2009 at 04:03 PM

IS it in english or what?

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 09:37 AM

The primary language of this school is arabic, but some teachers speak english.

So for lessons between you and your teacher you may have in english. Group lessons ( like for the orchestra ) are in arabic but there is always another student who may help you for the understanding.

Go To Top