Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: OK,now really, What do you think of this music ?
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 11:28 PM
OK,now really, What do you think of this music ?

Now the file is under 1 MB.

This music was composed in Beirut during the last war.
It is called "Lonely Djinn"
I play oud since one year, I would like to hear your comments and criticisms.
Thanks
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 11:51 PM

When hearing it i was looking constantly behind me as i feared that yr music could attract plenty of djunun....

Very original and impressive composition just after one year playing oud.

Kind of hijaz and some kurd maqam?

It was very evocative music and i could even feel the terror imposed by the rain of bombs deluging over Beyruth last summer.
You are right, you are free with oud, no doubt that the real winner is a free man composing freely under bombs, not the killer bomb dropper.

I felt this song like having a traditional arabic maqam music line and at the same time it reminded me here and there african, jazz, latin and even occidental classical musics tastes....rather nice sensation....
Am i right that you are a big listener of different types of musics??

I think you could not played entirely because of the size allowed but it seemed to have a conscioussly built structure (begginning, middle, end)
Almost all sentences are repeated each one twice.

I dream to reach one day a stage of oud learning where i could compose something as original as yours.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-15-2006 at 12:19 AM

Nice words Zalzal...
I think you nailed it with your comments

By the way did you ever see the film west beirut? I think I remember the father playing oud under the bombs too in that movie.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 12-15-2006 at 03:39 AM

Alami

Wonderful - especially after just one year but even with 10 years I think it is a beautiful piece, very lyrical and reflective, but also individual.

Thanks

Leon
zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-15-2006 at 06:32 AM

Hey SamirCanada, i do not know this film West Beirut, can you give me more details so i can find it? Thank you
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-15-2006 at 09:11 AM

Its a movie made in french and arabic about he lebanese civil war how a christian girl and muslim kid fall in love with eachother but they live on the 2 sides of the so called green line that divded the city.

Here is a link to it. Iam sure you can find it in many movie rental places near you.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0157183/

here is a scene of the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxFjyKkfR6Q
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-15-2006 at 01:43 PM
Lonely Djinn

Thanks zalzal, samir and Ararat. Guys I am really touched that this music was able to communicate emotions that's what music is supposed to do.
Zalzal is right, as I felt that composing music is an act of life opposed to all the death around, I started it during the war and I keep doing it as I am avoiding going out and meet people as I refuse to be part of the useless political discussions that are not meant to go anywhere (Like the one going on one of this site topics). I wrote also a satiric political song called "Maaroot Lalbei", It is posted on: http://www.skyoflebanon.com
(it is in arabic and not supposed to be a polite song at all).
I was unable to decide on which maqam is Lonely Djinn.
I thought it was kind of KURD, I am still scratching the surface of the Dark art of Maqams.
Can you tell me on which maqam it is ?
Thx Guys
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Moud

[*] posted on 12-15-2006 at 02:05 PM

Very nice, Alami - keep up the good work! It really captures the mood.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 12-18-2006 at 04:00 PM

All peace to ou

Leon
zou
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-19-2006 at 06:22 AM

hi alami,

very very sensitive music, i love it
ziad
amine2
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 02:45 PM

le debut est un nahawand en sol. il y a un passage en hijaz en sol aussi.
et des passages atonales aussi...;)
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 06:54 AM

Merci amin
Bonne anne
Sasha
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 09:16 AM

Very nice!
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 11:13 AM

I saw the movie some years ago, and enjoyed.
But it is obvious that the actor is not playing really, and when he says something like "I haven't played for years" and then grasp his oud upon the insisting request of his wife, a magical phenomenon occurs: the oud is already perfectly tuned, something looks not realist here.. I would like my oud to stay tuned for at least a week or a month!
Red
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-16-2007 at 03:19 AM

This is like nothing I've ever heard. Thank you for the experience.
rebetostar
Oud Maniac

Mood: Ajam Ushayran

[*] posted on 3-16-2007 at 08:48 AM
Lonely Djinn

Very lovely Alami,
Makes me wonder: Do the best pieces get written as a response to angst and suffering?
mustafa
Oud Maniac

Mood: oud moud

[*] posted on 3-16-2007 at 07:08 PM

beautiful and to think you've only been playing for one year...:applause:
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 3-16-2007 at 07:40 PM

Alami, nice piece. You totally brought me back to last summer, watching the horror on TV. You really painted the mood and emotion well. Nice job!!

Based on what I can tell about you, you seem like you're a fan of Ziad Rahabani. I bet you also like Charbel Rouhana as well - there are some really creative satiric songs on his last cd "Khateera". And, I can also see you liking Ziad Sahhab - he does some interesting jazzy stuff on the oud and I like his attitude. I am a big fan of these guys too :xtreme:
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 03:50 AM

Thak you all for your comments and feelings, this piece was my first post on these forums and I was surprised to see it back agian.

When I was in school, a pilosophy professor explained to us that in order to keep a good mental health in a crisis situstion we have to make the diffrerence between what one can control and what he can't, and to concentrate the worries and concerns on what is controlable. In a siuation like last july war, nothing was controlable and the bombs used were so huge that even hiding was useless, the "controlable" world is shrinked to a minimum, I could only control the taste of my pasta sauce and...my oud.
The beautiful scene in Ziad Doueiry's "West Beirut" where a guy is playing his oud under bombs is taken from a scene he witnessed when he was a kid.
I remember a 1984 open air concert of Marcel Khalife held during a brief cease-fire, it was in a high danger zone, and the concert was great.

And yes Sam you are right, a whole generation musical (and somehow political) taste was influenced by musicians like Ziad Rahbani, Marcel Khalife and other less known artists like Makhoul Kassouf, Sheikh Imam, Khaled Al Habr and Ahmad Kaabour. After the "Hippie" period of the seventies where
"Modern Arab pop music" was about using guitar and Synthes, these musicians brought back the traditional instruments, they brought back the greats poets into songs (Mahmoud Darwish, Talal Haidar...), Ziad Rahbani introduced his oriental jazz and made Fayrouz sing "Wahdon" (now he refuses the use of this
definition), Marcel Khalife renewed the image of oud in the eyes of the young generation, we started to see young guys bringing their oud instead of guitar to "drink and sing" evenings where singing "Rita" with oud has become more "trendy" than Bob Dylan with a guitar. But even though their music was very
oriental they shared a common refusal to "Tarab" considered as "defeatism". In one of his early songs (Promises of the Storm), Marcel Khalife says: "I will strip olive trees from fake branches and mellow songs", some maqams where kind of "banned", you won't find someone playing Saba in this period.
Charbel Rouhana is the cousin and disciple of Marcel Khalife, Ziad Sahab is somewhere between Ziad Rahbani and Sheikh Imam, Toufic Farroukh started with Rahbani jazz band.

There is somehow a dialectic relation between music and war, some of the best lebanese songs during the last 30 years were "war related".
I will try to make a collection of these songs, specially from the less known and commercially unavailable artists and post it on ftp.

Alami
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SamirCanada
Nice words Zalzal...
I think you nailed it with your comments

By the way did you ever see the film west beirut? I think I remember the father playing oud under the bombs too in that movie.

I have uploaded the fragment of the movie 'West Beyrouth' where the father plays oud.
It is 'evident' that the actor don't play the oud.
Actually it is played by John Bilzekjian.
Sorry for the bad quality, it comes from on old vhs cassette.

Here is the link :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl9A9OrhPmE

Robert
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 08:21 AM

Attached is a collection of "war related" songs from various artists (25MB zip file) _ copy the whole line

ftp://oud_stuff:oudstuff@clamato.dreamhost.com//WarSongs.zip

Just a note: the political content of these songs is not here to raise "heat", but I believe that the musical side is important as those "revolutionary" artists were also trying to reflect their beliefs in their arabic musical compositions.

- Makhoul Kassouf,anarchist (sort of lebanese Leo Ferre), , insisted all his life on being an "amateur", he never made a penny from music and makes a living from being a dentist. He composed all his songs and wrote the lyrics of many.
Bouab Al Hawa: (Wind doors) is a song about leaving home with a very nice oud - piano intro (Ziad Rahbani on piano) and the voice of Sami Hawat (singer and oud player)
Baadou Al Wajaa (the pain is still here) a song about memories and suicide.
Badawia (the Gypsy), a legendary song on a poem of Talal Haydar, full of symbols and a great rythm.

- Khaled El Habr, a communist militant, guitar player. He composed most of his songs. A few years ago he sold all his songs rights for 5000$ to pay the fees of a surgery
- Beirut, is a song composed in 1982 during the israeli invasion,
- Ghennye Atifieh (a Love song) is a funny song about his being unable to right "silly love songs"

- George Kormoz, I know very little about him, he was one of the pioneers of the engaged music and probably the first to sing Mahmoud Darwish poems (before Marcel Khalife)
- Ana Arabi (I am an Arab) is, to my knowledge, the first song from a Darwish poem
- Oummahou (Mother) has an interesting "Qasida" traditional form with oud only, and yet an unconventional way of being Non-Tarab.

- Ziad Rahbani - Fayrouz, a total jazz song in the memory of a gargbage collector friend killed during the war, hearing Fayrouz singing this way was shocking to many

- Sheikh Imam was discussed on these forums

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=4778#pid310...
zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 11:55 AM

Thankyou very much. Am just downloading it and anxious to listen at.

Oudoneit
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 11:56 AM

Alami,

That was very beautiful. I'm a great fan of simplicity, and speaking directly to the heart.

Rob
zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 12:04 PM

http://www.wardaonline.com/bio.htm

......She was born near Paris in Puteaux in July 1940. Her father, one of the first Algerian immigrants to France, ran a hostel for migrant workers at Boulogne-Billancourt. In 1936 this hostel was already one of the main meeting places of the "North African Star", the first nationalistic organization to fight for the independence of the Maghreb. Later Warda's father was the owner of the Tam-Tam, a cabaret in the Quartier Latin, with Warda starring. This very cabaret was going to be the seat of the FLN (Algerian Freedom Fighters) up to 1958, when it was closed down and the whole family left France. Warda's mother was a Lebanese born in Beirut in a Moslem family of good social position. She had taught Warda every Lebanese song of some importance. Thus the girl's liking for the Middle Eastern song had developed thanks to oral transmission, a most authentic way to hand down traditions. She was only a little girl when she would sing songs by Abdelwahab or Farid Elatrash. Her singing for North African children on the French Radio and Television made her turn towards the Maghreb song, especially the Tunisian one.

Though she was only fourteen in 1954, when the Algerian War of Independence began, she would sing patriotic songs such as "Ya habibi ya mudjahid" (O friend, O fighter), "Bladi ya bladi" (O my Country), "Ya mrawah lelblad" (Thou who goest back to thy Country).

In 1958, as Paris was more and more concerned by the development of the Algerian War of Independence, the whole family had to seek refuge in Beirut where she went on singing militant songs such as "Djamila", dedicated to the women fighting in Algeria, "Ana mil djazair ana arabia" (I am from Algeria, I am an Arab). Though Riad Sombati had only heard her on an Egyptian radio broadcast singing "Djamila", a song she had rendered at the Damascus Festival, he was going to make two songs, for her to sing, on two poems written by the Algerian poet Salah Elkharfi and dedicated to the Algerians fighting for their independence: "Essaidune" (To the underground fighters) and "Nidau adhamir" (Conscience calling). When she arrived in Cairo in 1960 she found Riad Sombati willing to help her: he set to music poems by an Egyptian poet: "Ya huria ana bendahlek" (I am calling you, O Liberty), "Dalia djamila", in honour of Palestine, and he also composed the musical part of a play "Alikhwa thalata Deir Yassine" (The three brothers from Deir Yassin).

In 1961, together with the singers Nagat Esseghira, Sabah, Shadia, Abdelhalim Hafez, Mohammed Kendil and others, she sang both "El guil essaed" (The rising generation) and "Elwatan elakbar", dedicated to the Arab fatherland, in which she sang the passage about Algeria. It was when militing for the Algerian cause that Warda became Warda Eldjazairia (The Algerian Rose)......

excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 10:29 AM

A while back, I listened to your piece Alami, it was beautiful- but today I stumbled upon it again and it really resonated with the bad day I am having... It really gave me some comfort that things can always be worse, though, thank God we can pray for what we have today. Thank you Habibi for your soulful piece.

tarik

Go To Top