Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The "Lingua Franca" of these forums
mourad_X
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 11:11 AM

na ja

es ist halt typisch für franzosen das sie nur in ihrer ach so total tollen sprache
komunizieren wollen ;)

des is halt scho was b'sonderes :))
amtaha
Oud Junkie

Mood: beginner's frustration ...

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 06:49 PM

This discussion is far from needlees and is important. What is being aimed at by Greg's note is to maximize the benefit of each thread as much as possible. This is not a waste of time, nor it is a pointless exercise of debate.

Granted that not each thread is useful for every member - not even for every third or tenth member, but if there's something noteworthy and useful that is being discussed or described in Spanish or French or Turkish, then wouldn't it be real nice that more members would be involved. And I intentionally use "involved" because there's always the possibility that someone who doesn't know the language who might chip in with an answer.

But beyond all this, the note - made by a moderator, mind you - was an invitation or a suggestion. And beyond this, still, and moderator or not, respect must be maintained.

Regards,
Hamid
amine2
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 01:20 AM

:))
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 10:07 AM

Just for information for those interested in the possibilities of machine translation. There are a great number of free translation services available on the Internet so it would take a considerable amount of time to try them all out - although they may all be using just a few of the available technolgies currently under development.
One that seems to have more promise than Babel Fish in my opinion is ImTranslator 3.0 available as a free plug-in for either Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox. It comes with a number of useful facilities to ease input of text, spell check, switch between translations etc and also includes a full range of virtual keyboards for accurate text input - including Arabic and Turkish. This free version does not have translation capabilities for Turkish but it does for Arabic - English - Arabic. ImTranslator uses PROMPT technology which may be more accurate than Babel Fish - although I would need to test that in greater depth and remain open minded either way.
For example testing with the simple sentence "The caterpillar crawled over the leaf." from English to French and then retranslating the result back from French to English in order to verify the translation I get "The caterpillar crawled on the leaf"- very good. The same test for English to German to English gives "The caterpillar crept about the sheet"- not bad if you understand the alternatives in the vocabulary for "leaf". For English to Arabic to English the result is "Creeping on caterpillar in the paper" which does not mean much as written but at least the vocabulary is as close as the German version. However, before anyone laughs, try going through the same translation process using Babel Fish and see what you get!!
The developers of the machine translation software do not recommend this double translation process but how else is it possible to be sure if a machine translation is correct if one has limited or no knowledge of the second language?
I have no knowledge of Arabic or how the language is structured so do not understand why the above 'return' translation should be in an apparently inverted form. I would, therefore, be interested to know from someone fluent in Arabic if the translation of the sentence from English to Arabic, using ImTranslator, is true to the original.
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 12:18 AM

The problem here seems to be Amine in his various incarnations. He has done nothing but insult people since he appeared on this forum, and most of us seemed to be perfectly happy using English on here until he showed up.

David

amine2
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 02:50 AM

too stupid:D
your problem is yourself.
ce n'est pas de ma faute s'il y a des gens aussi cons sur terre:(

Translation courtesy of ImTranslator & moderator Greg:
"It is not of my error if there are such bloody stupid people on earth."
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 02:27 PM

Some vocabulary to learn "oudenglish", make oud not war !!!

The Nut – Starts the vibrating point of the strings

The Bridge – Ends the vibrating point of the strings

End Pin – Where tail piece gut is attached

Tail Piece – Item where strings attach after moving over the bridge – not a feature on all luthier instruments – common on instruments of the fyddle family.

Finger Board – A platform designed for fingers to touch strings and support for production of notes on the musical instrument.

Peg box – The place where the tuning pegs are found attaching the strings to the tuning area of the instrument.

Tuning Pegs – Features designed to allow the tensioning of strings so that the proper pitch may be obtained.

The Table – The sound board, the top of the instrument – usually pierced with sound holes of some kind.

The Ribs – The side walls of an instrument.

The Back – The back of an instrument.

The Neck – The area between the back and the pegbox – supports the finger board.

http://www.jubilatores.com/luthier.html

Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 09:13 PM

You will see that I used "ImTranslator" (thanks jdowning) to provide a rough French to English translation of part of Amine2's last post on this thread.
If members find this useful, I will do these translations on any future posts, where the poster does not provide an English translation (and where the translation is possible using the ImTranslator service.

Regards,

Greg
zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 11:16 PM

I used imtranslator to translate above vocabulary and i am still laughing....

Anyhow, if anybody knows the exact technical translation i would appreciate.

La Noix – Commence le point vibrant des ficelles

Le Pont – Met fin au point vibrant des ficelles

L'Épingle de Fin – Où l'intestin de morceau de queue est attaché

Le Morceau de Queue – l'Article où les ficelles font partie après le fait de se serrer le pont – pas une caractéristique sur tous les instruments luthier – commun sur les instruments de la famille fyddle.

Le Conseil de Doigt – une plate-forme conçue aux doigts pour toucher les ficelles et le soutien en faveur de la production de notes sur l'instrument de musique.

La boîte de patère – l'endroit où les patères s'accordant sont trouvées en attachant les ficelles à la région s'accordant de l'instrument.

Le fait d'Accorder Cheville – les Caractéristiques ont été destinées à permettre le tensioning de ficelles pour que le terrain nécessaire puisse être obtenu.

La Table – la caisse du violon, le haut de l'instrument – d'habitude percé avec les trous solides d'une sorte.

Les Côtes – les murs de côté d'un instrument.

Le Revers – le revers d'un instrument.

Le Cou – la région entre le revers et le pegbox – soutient le conseil de doigt.

David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
You will see that I used "ImTranslator" (thanks jdowning) to provide a rough French to English translation of part of Amine2's last post on this thread.
If members find this useful, I will do these translations on any future posts, where the poster does not provide an English translation (and where the translation is possible using the ImTranslator service.

Regards,

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for that tranlation of Amine's words, but I really don't think it does justice to the richness and subtlety of the French language. :D

Best wishes

David

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 06:49 AM

Looks as though some free machine translation software still has a very long way to go before it can be depended upon for technical translation without need for editing and correction.
I spoke to a person the other day who has experience in using one of the professional versions of machine translation software available on the market - to translate from English to Spanish. He reported that, generally, the results were quite good and saved a lot of time in the translation process nevertheless the translation had to be checked and corrected paragraph by paragraph by a person fully fluent in Spanish before it could be used for business communications.
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 07:41 AM

Here are the french equivalent I've found for the different parts of the oud.

The Nut – le sillet

The Bridge – le chevalet

End Pin – ?

Tail Piece (only on Bachir style oud) – le cordier

Finger Board – la touche

Peg box – la tête

Tuning Pegs – les clés ou les mécaniques

The Table – The sound board - la table d'hamonie

The Ribs – l'éclisse

Sound hole - la rosace

The Neck – le manche

The bowl - la caisse de résonance

If anybody know other words, welcome.

Robert
zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 11:35 AM

Muchas Gracias

amine2
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 11:51 AM

for mr david , i'll say you're stupid.;)
good english.no?
excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 1-12-2007 at 12:50 AM

Mr. Amine. My Brother. Dude, yer acting like a child man. we dont need any name calling and negativity around here.

I dont really have an opinion about all this- as far as I'M concerned (and this is not intended to be an assertion of any type) I wouldn't care if we spoke English, Arabic, or Spanish because I'll understand it all- you (Amine) seem to understand English enough to call someone stupid, vous pourriez aussi bien écrire en anglais ici. good french. no?

tarik

ImTranslation:
you could write as well in English here.
amine2
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-12-2007 at 02:23 AM

:applause:very good french
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-12-2007 at 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by amine2
for mr david , i'll say you're stupid.;)
good english.no?

In looking for a suitable response to this, I find myself once again seeking inspiration from the legendary Mr T, whose words somehow transcend all barriers of language and culture:

"Quit your jibber-jabber, fool!"

amine2
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-12-2007 at 03:09 AM

do you work in a circus david?:))
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-12-2007 at 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by amine2
do you work in a circus david?:))

No, but I'm used to dealing with clowns. :D

amine2
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-12-2007 at 06:11 AM

"l'art du clown va bien au-delà de ce que l'on pense"
André Suarès.

ImTranslation:
" the art of the buffoon goes well beyond that they think "
André Suarès
zalzal
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-12-2007 at 11:10 AM

oud & clown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpN-fhKYmNI

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2007 at 04:48 PM

On the morning TV breakfast show yesterday it was announced (I am not making this up!) that fluency in two or more languages helps to prevent the onset of dementia - apparently due to stimulation of the brain caused by constant juggling between translations - according to "the experts". Little hope for me then!
However, this may just be government propaganda in a country with two "official" languages and obsessed with bilingualism issues? After all there are many other equally interesting and challenging ways to exercise the mind other than expertise in languages.
excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 05:29 PM

ya amine2...

khalas ya zelemeh! (arabic)

Translation: Quit it, man!

-Tarik
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top