Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Oud Quality
Al Billings
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-1-2004 at 01:09 PM
Oud Quality

Having read much of the discussion about the merits or drawbacks of various ouds, it strikes me that the level of discourse is often anecdotal and generalized. Debating the relative merits of ouds built by Najarian, Keyvelos, Fadel or any other builders would be more effective if those who have played instruments by several makers could be more specific. How do we know, for instance, that Najarian?s ouds are great or not so great if we?ve never had the opportunity to compare on of his creations to a Kyvelos? And what about the oud?s components? Cedar top? Spruce top? Which species of spruce? What about the bowl tone woods? What?s the difference? Tone? Volume? Finish? Playing ease? Has anyone compared ouds by these builders? Is the person posting a competent player? I?ve had a symphony violinist play one of my fiddles and reveal tonal qualities I never knew my instrument possessed.
In the larger world of musical instruments, the oud occupies a tiny niche that is still in many ways backwards and under-developed because compared to the guitar and the violin there just isn?t a large market for it. I think it could be beneficial to all of us if we could bring more empirical information and dispassionate exchanges to the discussion. We all love ouds and want the best we can afford. How do we know what we?re getting when we order an instrument from a builder who might live halfway around the globe? More importantly, how do learn the questions we should ask?
How do we best improve our knowledge of oud construction and pricing? By being honest about the merits or drawbacks of our own instruments rather than being defensive, and by asking specific questions of each other and the builders themselves. While various luthiers like Dimitris have web sites with quality photos and good sound samples, I don?t think they offer sufficient information. Why should I buy a Syrian oud rather than an Egyptian model? Is it the tone, or is the difference aesthetic? Is the Turkish oud a Manol copy or is it built on another model? Does a Manol copy cost more? Why? What about the bowl wood and the specific tones tonal qualities of each species? Am I supposed to know these things already? Who can I contact as a reference? By sharing useful, specific information with each other we might also cause the builders themselves to offer further assistance essential to our selection of instruments. Spiros has time to visit and post on oud sites, but despite his claim that he?ll answer all questions he never responded to the last three I asked him. This is disappointing.
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 2-1-2004 at 02:27 PM
Dear friend Al

First of all,the diference between the Syrian type and the Egyptian type is on the shape of the body!!!!!!Also the sound of the Syrian type is a little bit brighter than the Egyptian type[diferences on the braces,and the bridge].
Above our Turkish type that we do,we make and Manol copies,the diference is on the shape,the ribs,the matterials,and the sound too,based on the braces of the Manol[influences].Yes a copy of Manol has other price,biger.
Because we use very expensive woods and inlay materials and it takes alot of work.
As about my person,dear friend I think that untill now .after at least 400 emails since we did the site ,you are the first person that he is not ''satisfited'' with my answers,but do me a favour,next time be more specific of what do you want to ask....:)and I will do my best to respond you.....
Regards and respect

P.S.Also my friend about the woods and the tone qualities,you can tell us HOW WOULD YOU LIKE to be your oud[the sound and the aspect],and we will make you a combination-offer of woods
I still consider you as a positive thinking person,and on the same side with me,and please next time don't hesitate to ask me and be more specific:wavey:

spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-1-2004 at 02:37 PM
also..........

.....and ofcourse we are open to any sugestions that you have ....
You see we are not enemies with the other oudmakers...we have something in comon,we do our best to make better and better instruments,I am sure that every person ho gives his soul to an instrument,has the right to be respectable from all of us that we only play the oud....
We like the discusions about any improvement of the instument....we only serv this instument,we don't own it ....If you know what I mean....
Regards:wavey:

Al Billings
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-1-2004 at 02:56 PM

Spyros, I asked you those very questions and you never replied. Thanks for posting ithe answers now. And I still think that some basic tonal descriptions of your various ouds and the tonewoods you offer would be a useful improvement to your we site. Many guitar makers offer this information on their web sites and it helps prospective buyers considerably. I'm still consuded about on thing: it seems as though the only Manol copy you offer is very fancy and decorative. Is it not possible to construct a Manol copy out of simple, high quality woods and Manol bracing, but without the tusk and other ornamentation?
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-1-2004 at 03:05 PM
Ofcourse

Dear friend Alan,
Yes we make the Manol copy and without the tusk and other ornamentation ,but the price is higher than our models....
We will put some fotos of my own Manol copy in a few weeks,and you will see the diferences.....
But I personally like my copy of Manol as it is,with the decoration and the marquetrys.....I just love it like that....is something more specific,and much more beautifull on the aspect
Regards

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-1-2004 at 08:21 PM

Hi Mr. Billings. I'm a friend of Spyros Koliavasilis and Dimitris Rapakousios, and helped with building Dimitris' website. Dimitris is very talented in every aspect of oud building, from choosing quality woods, his bracing, and decoration, though he personally prefers simple instruments, just as Kyvelos and Najarian. The ouds by Fadel I've seen have all been without any extravagant inlay work, so I assume Mr. Fadel also prefers 'simple' instruments.

You asked in your first post how do you know what woods are used by Najarian for example, or by another maker. The answer to that is, you ask the maker. There's no way they can't tell you that. Sorry if your questions for Dimitris weren't answered right away.

I've played instruments by both Najarian and Kyvelos, and they were very different. Both are very good, but different sounds completely, and it's true not just comparing maker to maker, but from one oud to another by the same maker. And this is not just by chance, but often manipulated by a master maker to the specifications of the customer, and/or their own preference.

It's interesting that now with the internet it's almost a problem that we have so many choices, and of course, Kyvelos, Najarian, Dimitris, and Fadel are not the only ones making great ouds. So what do we do?

I think you're right to ask for more information pertaining to the relationship between wood types and sound, but the fact is that the most important aspect in tone and projection is in the soundboard and its bracing. The bowl woods can add extra 'coloring' to the top's main contribution to tone and projection.

So I think what you need to do when you know you want an oud, is to know how you want it to sound. Tell the maker, and if he says "Yeah, no problem," ask for the details. "How do you know to make this oud bassy, or how do you know how to make this a more treble/clear toned oud?"

As for playability, if you know what you want as far as action, neck width, etc...you should order those exact specifications. I doubt there is a maker who would not follow your instructions in that department.

Anyway, I'm sorry for such a long reply. So you know we've been planning on improving Dimitris Rapakousios' site even more, and that should happen in the next month or so. Thanks for your suggestions.

Mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 01:19 AM

my neighbor is making and his oud soundboard out of really thin plywood... :shrug:

would this affect the sound of the oud more or the actual quality?
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 08:21 AM
Dear friend Nadir

Dear friend Nadir,
Usually the wood that I personally prefer is the spruce.....
I believe that is the best wood for a soundboard....
And the cedar is very good also,but I prefer the spruce
Regards
:wavey:

nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 08:26 AM

thanks spyros!! :bowdown:
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 08:37 AM

You are welcome brother

nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 12:28 PM

is cherry wood frequently used to make ouds? it is the second best wood that they use in furniture (mahogony being the best) and from what i know, good cherry wood is supposed to be heavy; its also supposed to last you a long time...
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 01:59 PM
plywood

Plywood is terrible for a soundboard.
A plywood soundboard will have a dull sound and project poorly, because the criss-crossed layers of wood cut of most of the vibrations from the strings.
Spyros is right, the best wood for the soundboard is spruce.
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 02:11 PM

thanks brian, hopefully i can sabotage the oud he has and justify why there is a crumpled mess in his backyard lol. ;)
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 03:10 PM

hehehehehehee....
Man this is not good......
Don't be that evil;)
hehehehehehehehe
The walnut is a very good wood for oud,and not that expensive.....

Al Billings
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 04:35 PM
Oud Quality

Brian, I wouldn't commission a plywood oud or guitar, but back in the early 1970's the Japanese developed some great laminates. You'll find them on certain high-end Ibanez, and the Epiphone steel string 575 series, and they're somewhat rare compared to the junk still around from that period. I've gotten a number of them for beginners and players who need a cheap travel guitar. They can sound good enough that I once fooled two vintage guitar dealers and a former Collings employee into thinking that a plywood jumbo was built from solid woods. You never know.
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 05:02 PM

I don't think that a laminated made oud will give me the sound of a Pallisander - wallnut oud....with a good aged spruce for a soundboard
But,we are always free to choose....personally I prefer for an oud the best quality wood possible....because only that way I will be sure that I can build a strong and quality sound instrument....ofcourse the builder[maker] has to know the art of making ouds.....this is a perfect combination for me....I don't know about the quitars,but for the ouds,is totally diferent,that is what I personally think....:)
Regards to all

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 11:54 AM
plywood

Al, thanks for the tip . . . I haven't encountered those instruments myself, although the I've tried some nice laminate ibanez jazz boxes from the 70s. I think steel-string guitars are a very different proposition than the oud, though.
Plywood can work okay on steel string guitars, probably because the higher tension of the steel strings makes the guitar louder to begin with. And a really well-made laminate instrument can certainly sound better than a poorly-made solid wood instrument, especially if the laminate itself is made from good woods.
Have you encountered nylon-string laminate guitars that are comparable to solid wood instruments? My experience is that these are much less sucessful that their steel-string counterparts.
The primary advantages of plywood are that it's very strong--far stronger than solid wood of comparable thickness--and that it is usually considerably less expensive. So Spyros, a plywood oud would probably be quite strong (of course a lot still depends on the builder, but I'm assuming a good builder here).
Al Billings
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 01:04 PM
Oud Quality

Brian, I've played a few laminate classicals that sounded passable or better, again, Japanese, but there's a cut-off point beyond which plywood isn't going to work for that style of guitar. I'm not advocating plywood ouds here, just sticking up for a building material that, while not the most desirable, has had its uses and applications and has occasionally out-performed our expectations of it. But then again, I like old plywood archtops, bakelite banjos and the cumbus, so I might be a little too plebian for everyone's taste!
Al Billings
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 01:14 PM
Oud Quality

Lest I leave the wrong impression, my ouds aren't plywood! I have a Najarian Turkish in Celik's low B tuning, which turns a Turkish oud into a SAC bomber, and a very nice, if somewhat over-decorated Egyptian oud. I plan on buying one or two new ouds next fall, hopefully from Dimitris. And most of my "serious" acoustic guitars are all hand-made solid wood guitars.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 01:18 PM

Al, I totally agree with you--I'm not some anti-plywood crusader;)
It certainly can be adequate, and as you said, sometimes is much better than one would expect. Also, making plywood instruments has put instruments in the hands of people who otherwise might not have been able to afford them, and I think that's definitely a good thing.
I was just somewhat horrified at the thought that someone would go through all the work of building an oud, and use plywood for the top . . .
By the way, it seems like a lot of people here are building ouds. It's something I'd like to try someday, but a Brooklyn apartment is not exactly conducive to woodworking:D
Al Billings
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 01:39 PM
Oud Quality

Actually, I've seen a few plywood-topped ouds, with shell-covered backs. Bad idea.You could get more tone and volume out of a cigar box banjo.
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 05:38 PM

Dear friends,
Maybe plywood is good,but I believe that we can't compare the pallisander,the maple,the wallnut,and the padouk with that,but as you say it is a solution,not the best one...:shrug:
Regards and respect

Adel
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 11:15 AM

Hi Al Billings,
You have to know few things before you buy an oud.
what sound are you looking for? Warm sound or bright sound, loud or average
How much is your budget?
the string length
How good you want your oud to be?
Then you may ask a maker to make you an oud or you buy an oud which you see and like.
No oud maker will be able to guarantee you the sound of your oud, if he or she can get 40_70% of the sound, this will be great.
Another thing, we have oud makers who are making Nahats copy, these ouds sells in Europe for 5.000 Euro, but every time an oud maker present me one of these copies, I ask him/her, where is the original?
I rather spend 5.000 Euro on an original authentic oud than a copy, no matter how good these makers are, the value of their ouds will never ever have the same value as the origina.
Good luck,
Adel
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 12:27 PM

I believe western oud makers many times they are lacking lot of knowledge since they are not belonging to any certain school of oud making. Nothing wrong to copy instrument if one have authentic sources but that is not always the case as Adel pointed out. Also both makers and musician need to be more aware about the ouds history and that some admired ouds actually were not made for our modern string or tunings. Oud makers and musicians have lot of learn from the ¨ early music movement¨.

Best wishes

Ronny
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 01:04 PM

isnt cedar wood better than all other woods for the soundboard though? what about rosewood?

how do these woods compare with pallisander spyros??

thanks in advance!! :bowdown:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top