Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Digital files
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 08:49 AM
Digital files

I am having a lot of trouble recently transferring digital music files, and I hope somebody can offer some assistance.
I'll preface by saying that these are not commercial cds, or anything with a copyright on them. Just live recordings that I, or a friend, have made with the artists permission. Or, copying files that are on the net.

I guess I'll start with the internet question--In the past, I was able to burn an audio track from the internet (mostly youtube.com), by just hooking up a line from my monitor to my separate cd burner. Now, it just won't work. Is it my recorder, or is there some way around this? I guess I could transfer it to casette, and then transfer it to cd, but I am hoping that I won't have to take this extra step. Anybody else doing this?

A friend of mine gave me a cd of stuff he recorded live on a digital recorder. He transferred the material to his copmputer, and burned me a disc of it. I can load it on my Mac just fine, but when I try to load it into my PC for itunes, it just won't go. And, when I am using the mac, there is no way for me to get the files to go into garageband (I just want to edit the files a bit). Any suggestions? Again, I guess I could transfer the whole thing to cassette, and then make a digital file from that. Does anybody know much about whatever is encoded in the cd that causes this to happen? Is there a way around it? If I make the analog copy on cassette, it should be eliminated, shouldn't it?

Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 09:19 AM

Hello Jonathan, Transferring to analog then back to digital will degrade the quality of the audio, so it will be my last resort. If you burn your CD on the Mac and chose standard CD-Audio format you should be able to play it on your PC and any other CD player.

There are many free audio format converters programs that you can use to convert from different file format to mp3 or wave files where you can burn the files using your computer to CD-Audio.

If you want to use your separate CD burner, check to see if you can record from other audio sources. If not, then it is your CD burner, otherwise your monitor line output is not producing any signal. I hope this would help.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 07:25 AM

Thanks, Hosam. I don't want to degrade the audio by converting it to cassette, either, but I wonder if it is necessary.
I know that on a lot of cds that are now released, there is something imbedded in the music code to prevent unlimited duplication. That is, you can make first generation copies off of the disc, but you can take the copy and make a copy off of that--you have to go back to the original cd.

I wonder if that is what is happening with the digital files that I got? Does anybody know a way around this. Again, the digital files were simply recorded on a hand held digital recorder--nothing commercial.

Go To Top