Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Airplane transport of ouds - how to?
Dolce
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-14-2007 at 05:14 AM
Airplane transport of ouds - how to?

These days things are edgy. They are picky about what can be brought into the airplane as luggage. We all know how fragile an oud is. Hardcase and check-in is a solution, but still risky. The best thing is to take it with you as handluggage. What is your experience when it comes to that? My and my friend bought each a saz in south Turkey 2 years ago. We both took it in as hand luggage with strings in place and all. No problems at all. Does anyone know how things are in Istanbul? The oud is abit bigger too.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-14-2007 at 06:10 AM

I think it really depends on the airline and luck.
Usually they're more concerned about length than the other dimensions, so an oud should be easier than a saz. I know Simon Shaheen travels with his oud all the time and never checks it. The smaller the case, the better.
But he's a very persuasive person :D
One suggestion: do not EVER fly Delta with an instrument.
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 1-14-2007 at 06:27 AM

I take a hard case and the soft one. If there are no problems (never had a problem) I take the oud with me up to the cabine, and send the hard case empty to the lagguage. If there is a problem (never occured) I would put my oud to the hard case & pray.
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 1-14-2007 at 09:51 AM

usually it depends indeed on your ability to be persuasive, and as well as luck. I flew between France and Israel with Israir and they really annoyed me, but after 15 minutes of argument they surrender, last time I flew with air france to and from Israel and there wasn't any problem. Usually cheap companies are more annoying with oud
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 1-14-2007 at 05:35 PM

hey ben and all

when i came back from israel ii went on el al and i brought my oud with a soft case with my hand bag and the lady who i checked in she was amazed how more young people wanna play the oud so she didnt give me any probalms and let my 128 lbs suit case go {btw flirting alwasy works} lol ;);)
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
jshead
Oud Junkie

Mood: Peace

[*] posted on 1-15-2007 at 05:45 PM

I have a hard case in which I put one of my good but lessor ouds. I never take my best on air travel. I can check the lessor but good oud through in hard case with no damage.
As people, say it varies what airlines will let you do. Also, over head vary in size quite a bit.
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oudplayer
hey ben and all

when i came back from israel ii went on el al and i brought my oud with a soft case with my hand bag and the lady who i checked in she was amazed how more young people wanna play the oud so she didnt give me any probalms and let my 128 lbs suit case go {btw flirting alwasy works} lol ;);)
thx sammy

Hey Sammy and hi everybody!
I think El Al is ok because it's a bigger and more expensive company. I found out that usually small companies are more annoying. As for myself flirting didn't work, and the woman didn't wanted me to take the oud on board, until I managed to convice the guy who is his superior.
Sol
Oud Addict

Mood: Kind of Hungry...

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 03:33 AM

Hmm, well unless that flirting is unwanted, then you're just digging yourself a deeper hole :rolleyes:

But seriously though, I think that it is generally best to take it on the plan with you and try and put it in the overhead compartment.Usually it works...

But I had an expierence with these stupid drunks who almost broke my Oud because he kept trying to fit his bag with my Oud before I told the idiot that he shouldn't be pushing so hard on my Oud. It wasn't even a hard case and you could make out the definite shape of a Oud.

I was about to beat the living daylights out of him because I knew he'd damaged it already but my mother who was with me at the time stopped me.

Bastards... they should have kicked them off the plane, because they were disrupting everyone, not just for the oud thing.

The most retarded thing is that they were Saudis heading back to Saudi Arabia on that plane. Alcohol is illegal in Saudi, so I guess they decided to get some booze in their system just before they headed home. Yet, to my knowlede, the authorities did nothing to them when they got there because they magically sobered up in the last 5 minutes before we landed.

I hate that kind of crap... Sorry, it just ticks me off.

Go To Top