Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wissam Joubran's new website
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-15-2007 at 01:43 PM
Wissam Joubran's new website

http://www.wissamjoubran.com/

Some nice pics of his ancestor's ouds. I particularly like the shamsa from the 1947 Dib Joubran oud. Beautiful. His double-layer white calligraphy on-dark-wood rose is also quite interesting.

Unfortunately, no info at all about buying ouds made by Joubran, prices, models etc.

zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 1-15-2007 at 02:13 PM

Shamsa made of camel bone as the next finger board.
Peach tree also used in some ouds.

It is easy to buy an oud fm him, provided you have the money, just drop him a mail.

As Azoff said in a previous post, sell everything you have and buy one of his ouds.

Thankyou for the link.

samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 1-15-2007 at 10:31 PM

I want to see this documentary http://stage.variety.com/review/VE1117929197.html?categoryid=31&...

Anyone know how I can view or get a copy?
Arto
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 09:50 AM

I don´t know where you could buy a copy, but I just saw the film in Finnish TV a few days ago.

The link above describes the film showing mostly the situation of Palestinian people. It does show this and Samir Joubran talks a lot about politics in it, but the film is not alltogether political IMO. It shows the brothers training together, some small family disputes, Wissam talks about his dreams in instrument building (violin making is covered more than oud making) etc. One main thread in the movie is Adnan practising with his brothers for his first public performance with them (in Paris).

The film does not contain music so much. Practice sessions are shown and some short performance clips.

Altogether, I think this is a nice documentary to see, but not something that every oudist must have in his or her library. The language is mostly Arabic, of course. It was shown in TV with Finnish subtitles.

PS: Sorry for this, but I could not stand a teacher like Samir Joubran. Bossy, short-tempered, sometimes downright mean IMHO. Maybe he is nicer towards other students than his little brother... The playing in itself is great.

PS2: One nice moment in the film was Samir and other family members talking with a cute little daughter maybe 3-4 years old. Samir asked her who is Arafat, the girl replied that he is a great leader of the nation, and was so proud that she knew. Then Samir asked who is Sharon, and the girl replied: "I know, he is a great leader, too!" Everybody was laughing and Samir was smilingly trying to correct the little girl´s opinion, but she kept her head... Cute.

Arto
farid
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-17-2007 at 08:33 AM

The web site is very nice and interesting.Wissam is 23 years old and he's already a great oud maker and a very good musician. For information, His brother Samir is not a nervous teacher as we can see in the documentary, i did a workshop with him, he's not like that with others students on the contrary i found him very patient and clear in his teaching. It was a very good experience to me and others students to learn few days with them...good moments

farid
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 1-17-2007 at 11:48 AM

Totally agree with you Farid, i was there and i appreciated a lot his sincerity, he gives all he knows and has.
Arto, you know, family blood boils if too near....

Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-17-2007 at 01:16 PM

I was there too.
Samir is very patient and generous.
And Wissam too.

Go To Top