Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: After playing 7 course, difficult to go back to 6 ?
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 02:53 PM
After playing 7 course, difficult to go back to 6 ?

After playing 7 course (13 strings) oud for 6 months, I have a big problem playing my first oud, a 6 course.
I play the same tuning on both C F A d g c (F)
It is ok to play the classics but when tempting an impro or a taksim I feel instantly bizarre, something is missing.
Do you enjoy the extra sharps ?
Do others have this feeling ?
I think that any oud I may get in the future will be 13
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 03:57 PM

Hey Alami,
I had a similar problem when I switched my bass string for a higher F double-string, the bass was really missing especially for taqasim, but then I learned turkish (high) songs, and then I had trouble when I put my C bass back, so now I have to go very down on the board to play hight stuff like samai shaddarabane..
On the other hand it 's a good way to practice, but indeed it woould be cool if all ouds were made 7 courses..
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 08:15 PM

What is more common for 7 strings oud, a fixed bridge or a floating bridge?
peppeo77
Oud Junkie

Mood: easy like ever

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 11:06 PM

I'm dreaming about having a seven courses...Any suggestion about it? Do you know something about the prices? I also have problems switching between my two ouds, one with the single C bass and one with the double F bass,both six courses. But, I agree, it's a good practice.
Ciao ciao, peppeo.
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 07:24 AM

I dont see the big fuss with the seven course ouds, yes they have a wider range, but chances are, depending on the type of music you play, it's either going to be high tuning, as in iraqi school, or low tuning, as in lebanon, egypt etc...I dunno...I guess I'm a bit old school when it comes to these things :shrug:
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-20-2007 at 02:55 AM

Melbourne I really believe that a 7 course is more a plus than a fuss. You have all what you are used to have "plus" one string, no need to change strings or have 2 different sets on 2 ouds.
I was recently trying to do some composition work and when you start a composition, a taksim or an impro, you don't know in advance where you're going, it is good to have more creative room.
I recently posted a music on the member's sound clips called "Lonely Djinn", it is impossible to play on my 6 course, the sound of which I like very much, so I tried to transpose lower and the whole mood changed it was a different music, it became somehow less nervous and more predictable. I undrstand better now why transposed maqams are considered different maqams. It is the very nature of oud sound.
Most of the 7 course I've seen were Floating bridge but I think that Master Ghadban has a fixed bridge 7 course model
fyenix
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-20-2007 at 03:20 AM

my 7 course

Go To Top