Printable Version  
Author: Subject: More about Nylgut string sets
aquila
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 03:11 PM
More about Nylgut string sets

Thank you very much.
I am at the begginning about my work on Oud strings.
I do not well know how many tunings, strings and vibrating string lengths they are.
At the moment I have made nylgut string sets for one etnic instrument such as ukulele.
Please, does someone help me in such thing?
I am both a scholar and gut-stringmaker
Nylgut was developed here for renaissance lutes firstly and for classical guitars and ukuleles now.
I hope also soon for Oud, so beautiful instrument.
Nylgut is not nylon or carbon: it is a sort of syntetic gut so it will help to rediscover the old soud...-
Ciao, thank you
Mimmo- Vicenza
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 03:30 PM

Dear friend...
The tunning that I personally use on my ouds is thisone
Turkish type....D A E B F# E,high to low and it is very dificult to get a set of strings for the 5th string F#,because it has to be usually A,
the same thing is and with my Syrian type ouds,I personally use the tunning..
C G D A E D,and here is the same problem...the fifth string has to be on the usual tunening G....
That is why I think that it will be a very good thing for us[me:D] something like that....
Mr Necati Celic use the oud[turkish type] in this tunning D A E B F# B .....I saw a set of strings that he personally gives to his students.....they are very good,but,for the tunning that I use,the tensions are too high.....
Any suggestions?
Also if your quality will be good enough,with pleasure we will use the strings to our ouds.....
regards
Spyros

TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 03:49 PM

I actually tune to C F A D G c (where the capital C is the bass string). The bass is often not made for the oud (or if it is, I just don't know about it). The second set of strings from the top (F) is becoming a more popular way of tuning, from my understanding, but most manufacturers make it G, which means I have to tune down and lose some of the innate quality of the string. I have a question for you... the third string from the bottom (D in my tuning) is wound by other string-makers, but this winding seems to come apart easily after a few months with me. Is there any way that Aquila will correct this? If not, it'd be nice to consider... :D

TP21

aquila
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 12:29 AM

Hello Spyros,
have made a copia of a La Bella Oud set tuned so:
dd, aa, ee, BB, AA, G; I hope that it is a common set.
If you have suggestion I am at
mperuffo@aquilacorde.com

Please, I think that a solution can be to received an old Oud set and work on this and convert in nylgut...
Ciao
Mimmo
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 02:28 AM

Dear friend Mimmo,
Usually,on the turkish tunning is dd aa ee BB AA EE,but as I told you many great players use different tunnings...for example for a tunning like this dd aa ee BB FF# EE,or the EE to be CC or BBB than you can imagine how dificult it is,and ofcourse,for someone ho use the normal tunning and he will try to put strinfs for the dd aa ee BB FF# EE,or the EE to be CC or BBB ,he will destroy his oud......
The same thing and with the arab ouds....
but with a tone lower...
So you can Imagine that is not an easy thing.....I saw a strings set that sugests mr Necati Celic,and I am telling you that it was unique about this type of tunning dd aa ee BB FF# EE,or the EE ,but we can't contact him all the time....and on the dd aa they didn't was that clear and bright....:shrug:
So,what I suggest is that the dd aa to be d'addario,or labbella,or something like that with bright and strong sound with length....
You know better how that will be done:rolleyes:
Regards
Spyros

Go To Top