Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sukar ouds or Yaroub M. Fadel ouds?
udy
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-30-2007 at 10:20 AM
Sukar ouds or Yaroub M. Fadel ouds?

HI ALL!!!!
I want to buy a professional arabic oud, and I dont know wich is the better maker,Sukar, Yaroub Fadel...
I read about other makers like Samir Azar or Sehata...
What do you think???
Best:airguitar:
Faladel
Oud Junkie

Mood: ya salam

[*] posted on 1-30-2007 at 11:02 AM

The best is Samir Azar

Oud Player
udy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-30-2007 at 11:13 AM

Hi Faladel!
Do you think Samir Azar is better than Gadhban to?
Samir makes traditional ouds to?
Best
INFAMOUD
Oud Junkie

Mood: Im good where I am

[*] posted on 1-30-2007 at 05:09 PM

What I like about Samir Azar..Is he is a one man show..And he makes his Oud' s upon order...He does all the work,And it is his current profession...No B,S..I believe a Luthiers work flourshes when it is a one mans show..And that is his means of livng...Just like back in the day..
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 1-30-2007 at 06:42 PM

In all fairness I dont think you are giving Mr. Udy complete information. I do have a Samir Azar oud and I love it very much but it does have its own sound and some characteristics it has is not common in traditional ouds.

so Mr. udy my question to you is

what kind of oud do you want.

a bashir style oud or fixed bridge oud.

Samir and fadel specialize in bashir style ouds. fadels father is the one who created the style for munir bashir. the sound of bashir style ouds are not as deep as traditional ones.

ghadban does both.

Samir can make you a traditional oud i beleive but he seems to prefer the floating bridge style.

as far as infamouds comment about one man shows, isnt ghadban the same and yaroub as well?

bottom line, if u really see all the ouds in person you really cant say one maker makes the best ouds. since they are all handmade more or less, they each have their own style. Im sure each maker can make two ouds and some might like one and not the other because they are handmade so the best answer is the best oud is the one that makes the best sound that YOU like.
udy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-30-2007 at 09:14 PM

Thanks for all!!!
Palestine48 I would like to buy a new fixed brigde oud with Nahat or Berdrossian style.
I know the most important is the sound and playability but if it is possible I like to buy a oud with these style:D
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2007 at 10:19 PM

In regards to a lookalike of Nahat or bedrosian, I suggest you look at Nazih ghadban or Maurice Shehata. they are the ones who have done the most nahat lookalikes. As for Nahat sound alikes, thats an interesting question because I would love a nahat sound a like. Any else on the forums can recommend that?

I am also personally considering having an oud made to arabic dimensions and bracing by a turkish maker, furuk turunz. he has a distinct sound of his own i am not sure if its going to be traditionally arabic but I am looking to stray away from the sound of bashir style ouds.
I am not certain but the equilavant to a nahat in turkish ouds is manol and it seems turunz likes to build his ouds through the inspiration of manol.
udy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 11:08 AM

Do you know the prices of Turunz?
In Syria, there are no makers who make good traditional ouds?
I like Gadhban ouds but I want to play the oud before buying and to speak in person with the maker and isn´t the best time to go to Lebanon and I prefer to visit Syria because I was in Turkey last year and Egypt 2 years ago...
INFAMOUD
Oud Junkie

Mood: Im good where I am

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by udy
Do you know the prices of Turunz?
In Syria, there are no makers who make good traditional ouds?
I like Gadhban ouds but I want to play the oud before buying and to speak in person with the maker and isn´t the best time to go to Lebanon and I prefer to visit Syria because I was in Turkey last year and Egypt 2 years ago...

P48 is right..It all depends on what you are looking for and what sound's good to you..But as for your comment about Syria not having Makers who make good traditional Ouds..I beg to differ..I think some of the finest Ouds come from Syrian Makers..Anwar Kubeh is one of them and many others..Aside from that you can search these forums for sound clips and pictures of these different makers and their Ouds and you can come to your own conclusion's as to what you want in a Oud and Sound..All these makers stated in this thread are reputable and have good characteristics in each their own way..But again..It comes down to which one fits your taste and needs...
udy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 03:21 PM

Sorry, my english is not good ,I believe that I have expressed badly, it was not a denial, was a question, because I don´t know other syrian makers only Azar and Sukar.
Can you send me information (adress, mail, web, phone,prices...) about Anwar Kubeh and others?
How can I contact with them?
Can someone tell me something about oud/barbat makers in Iran?
kkeys
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-1-2007 at 10:58 AM

I tried many ouds from different makers, including Yaroub Fadel, Shehata... and I am sticking to Sukar ouds....Especially the Finest model 14... it is not a well made oud... but the bass sound is the best of them...
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 06:43 AM

All I know is that - if Sukar wants to make an international reputaion, he better start responding to his emails, as for those who can't read the arabic, dont even bother with the english version, because it's an absolute joke....here's a small sample:

He was learnt playing the Oud machine at the hands of the musician "Mohammed Ragab" may god bless his soul, in 1990 he started to repair and manufacturers Oud machines.

Oh, and the words Sukar and Fadel, please, cannot belong in the same sentence...
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 07:02 AM

Another funny "Lost in Translation" example,

"Instrument" and "Machine" are said the same in arabic "ALat"
"at the hands of someone" means "having as teacher" in arabic "Ala Yadd"

May God have mercy "ON" the translator's soul and may you all have ouds with beautiful "ringing" (sustain)
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 04:37 PM

kkeys explains my point, it fits him therefore it is his preference. As for me i have seen a ghadban model up close and I have an azar. the finish work on my azar is cleaner than the ghadban I seen but the ghadban had a longer sustain and it sounded "cleaner" where as my azar was more loud and produced echos. it is really what sounds the best to you.
udy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 10:54 AM

Thanks to all!
Then, Does nobody know anything of the other oud makers in Syria? adress, web...:wavey:

Go To Top