Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oudcafe.com update - Ussak (Ushak) Saz Semai
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 09:19 AM
Oudcafe.com update - Ussak (Ushak) Saz Semai

Hi guys. Just letting you know there is a makam update at the Oud Cafe. The focus is on the makam ussak (ushak), with a saz semai by Neyzen Aziz Dede.

I hope you enjoy it.

The next makam focus will be on Hicaz (Hijaz) Humayun, sometime in early March.

As always, I'm open to any questions or comments.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 11:48 AM

Hi Mav

Great new update to the site - thanks again! I am in the process of updating the Turkish makams part of my own site, so I'll definitely link to each of your makam pages.

By the way, the subject of Ussak makam reminded me of the CD of Sherif Muhiddin Targan recordings. I just received it a few days ago from Musiki Market and it contains three Ussak taksims and three sazsemaisis. Have you heard this CD?

I also wanted to ask you whether you have the latest Gulcin Yahya CD. I have not been able to buy it as it seems to be unavailable at the moment. Do you have any ideas?

Best wishes

David
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 12:54 PM

Hi David, thanks again for all your help with the site, I think it's great to have all the informational oud sites to work together.

The only Targan CD I have is from Kalan musik, but there are probably some overlapping tracks. He blows me away every time man. I found lots of his compositions on the net too, check out the links I have for sheet music if you're interested.

Unfortunately the only thing I have by Dr. Yahya is her amazing book on Udi Yorgos Bacanos. I still have not heard her play. I'll check around and see if I can find her stuff - can you tell me the title of the CD?

Take care,

mavro
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 02:05 PM
Gulcin Yahya

Hi Mav

The Targan CD I have is called 'Peygamber Torununun Muzigi' and was produced by Kaf Music (Istanbul). I guess this is probably the same one you have. By the way, have you ever seen a copy of Targan's oud method for sale? There is some information about it in the book that came with the CD, so I thought it may have been reissued recently.

Gulcin Yahya has produced two oud CDs - the first was called 'Cinucen Tanrikorur - Eserleri' and her new one is called 'Hayallerim'. She has a Turkish website at

http://www.turkmusikisi.com/gulcinyahya/

and another Turkish/English one at

http://www.gulcinyahya.cjb.net/

I bought her first CD in Istanbul a few years ago, but I noticed recently that they were both advertised at http://www.musikimarket.com along with her oud method book and oud exercises book. However, the CDs seem to have been out of stock for a while now, so I am not sure if they are still available.

Can I ask you where you bought her book on Yorgo Bacanos, and whether it is in Turkish or English?

Best wishes

David
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 03:27 PM

Hi again. I purchased the Bacanos book on ebay (unfortunately, I paid a little too much, but it's very cool). It's written in Turkish, but there are a lot of diagrams and sheet music, so it's very good even if you can't read Turkish.

I realize now Kaf is the label I meant to say, not Kalan...sorry about that.:D

After looking around a little, I still haven't found it anywhere else. Haven't given up though.

Take care,

mav

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 03:35 PM

Hey guys. I've actually encountered Targan's oud method book, and I know where both of you can get copies. E-mail me for more info. I don't say where it is found here on the forums just so that you two actually get a chance at getting it.

truepharaoh21@hotmail.com

TP21

TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 03:36 PM

Oh, I forgot to tell you that Gulcin came out with two books, one of methods and the other of practices. I know where you can get that as well.

TP21

TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 03:39 PM

Oh, and of course.. Mav, excellent job on the site, dude. I'm looking forward to goin home after this long day of studying and playing along. Thanks bro!

TP21

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 03:49 PM

Thanks tp. I've seen them advertised on ebay a few times, i forgot to mention it before. sorry david.

numberonebooks sell them too. they have a store on ebay and can order the book for you if you can't find it.

thanks again tp, and sorry david that i forgot to say that before.

mav

--Edgard Varèse
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 04:12 PM

Great update Mavro. Actually Wael was teaching me this same semai. I also have it played by George Abyad. It is interesting to hear the differences in interpretation between the different schools of oud playing. Great stuff man.

Mike

Go To Top