Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: braces
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 06:58 PM
braces

What would be the disadvantage of having the braces flare out a bit as they approach the bowl? That is, making the braces as one would typically, but, at the ends (say for about 1/2 of an inch), have them flare out a bit so that there is more surface area in contact with the bowl (rather than, for example, a 1/4 inch contact, have a 3/4 inch contact)?

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 01:25 PM

I think it would change the charateristics of the brace in unforseen ways. My guess is that the face would not be as responsive and the oud would sound more like a guitar, which has more robust brace connection with the sides. I have noticed a difference in even adding small corner blocks in between the braces for added support. It's the very delicate nature of the oud's construction that seems to give it that special tone that we are all seeking. It's my opinion that any increase in the size of a critical component like a brace would certainly affect the sound.

oudmaker
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 12:49 PM

I agree

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 03:16 PM

I agree with Richard. No harm in experimenting - if you have the time and resources - but the essential geometry and construction of most successful instruments - those physical and acoustical characteristics that make an oud an oud, a lute a lute, a violin a violin etc etc, have already been worked out and tested by countless makers over the centuries. Best to follow the traditions of the past masters in my opinion.

Go To Top