Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: SAZ info.???
Orahim1
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 05:13 PM
SAZ info.???

I know this is an oud forum (an instrument which I love), but can anyone refer me to a great site for the Saz, where it might talk about different kinds, where to buy one (Viken doesn't male them ,does he?), and any other info. Secondly, has anyone ever had any luck from buying from Lark in the Morning? Thanks.
Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 07:00 PM

Well,
Saz you have to pay good money to get a good sound, liek you hear on recordings. I know of several very good makers who have websites on the internet.

The best sazes I've played were made by Ragip Akdeniz, who has a website, althjough he himself is either deceased or not making anymore, I think his sons make them. Other good makers are Tekinler and Baris music in Istanbul, also Haluk Eraydin on this forum, who builds ouds, makes nice instruments I understand. You might want to contact him regarding prices etc.

I wouldn't order from Lark in the Morning, they can import fancy stuff and sell it for what it "looks" like its worth, but you never know. If you can go there and try them out you might find one you like. I don't think Viken makes sazes.

regards,
paddy
Sasha
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Orahim1
I know this is an oud forum (an instrument which I love), but can anyone refer me to a great site for the Saz, where it might talk about different kinds, where to buy one (Viken doesn't male them ,does he?), and any other info. Secondly, has anyone ever had any luck from buying from Lark in the Morning? Thanks.

While I have several very nice baglama from Lark in the Morning, they were all instruments I picked out IN the store. I have had several friends buy sazlar from LITM mail order with very poor results. Such expensive firewood!

One resource I would suggest is a seller on eBay (do a search for Nazilli) he ocassionally offers very nice instruments. He is attending scool here in the states and his family in Turkiye sends him instruments from their shop.

Sasha
http://www.temurkhanlar.com
Orahim1
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 10:03 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I searched and searched on the net and came across a great saz site (sazmania) for instruction. I think I'll head up to Lark in the Morning the weekend after next to check out their saz collection. If anyone else has any advice, please chip in. Thanks again!!
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 11:29 PM

Please visit http://www.eraydinsazevi.com.tr and http://www.orientika.com web sites.

With best wishes.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
mustafa
Oud Maniac

Mood: oud moud

[*] posted on 2-4-2007 at 03:55 AM

I haven't yet seen an groups that discuss the saz as this forum does the oud, (could be there but I haven't found 'em) however I recently bought a saz from Haluk and I'll vouch, his sazes are great:applause::applause::applause:,
you can kind of see it in the video I posted here about three weeks ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgywX_GXmLg

this is the sound and look of a beautiful instrument he made me, just ignore my limited playing. as for lark in the morning, I haven't bought directly from the store but I have ordered, I don't recommend it, unless you can see you instrument first as Sasha has stated.

http://mustafadaood.multiply.com/
Orahim1
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-4-2007 at 11:09 AM

Mustafa,
I visited your website, and I really enjoyed your music! If you don't mind me asking, are you using computer software (Sonar, Pro Tools, or other), becuase it sounds well recorded, mixed, and mastered. Secondly, is your saz a baglama, and is it electric? I'm considering oredring one from Haluk, he seems to have decent prices and a good reputation on this forum. Thanks again!
Haluk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2007 at 01:33 PM

Mustafa's saz is not electric.I was installed piezo on it for to both acoustic and electric use.
With best wishes.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
mustafa
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-4-2007 at 02:51 PM

I use Vegas software even though it is way out of date, I recorded it all at home on a simple computer, I had to learn to mix and master because here not many people here can understand this music and it can be costly, especially cause I am a bit of a perfectionist sometime to my detriment. my baglama is acoustic, as Haluk bey said, and has a pickup, i works wonderful for live performances, that way you can still maintain the original sound of the baglama and not worry about feedback, and in the studio, well as long as you have a good mic, this instrument has an awesome sound. good luck on your baglama
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-4-2007 at 04:13 PM

I know Viken built a buzuq before, so I imagine he could build a (rather expensive) saz
maran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 10:12 AM

just wanted to say there is a baglama group in turkey i like a lot, the bengi baglama uclusu.

i have a few tracks from some of their CDs on my multiply page.
some of the tracks have guest musicians like derya turkkan and erkan ogur.

here's a video i found on youtube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T9CPnfoS5VY
(interesting time signature on this one. took me a while to figure out).
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 01:09 AM

Viken Najarian makes great bouzouks. His grandfather made them and he uses that design. He's made them for Dr. Jihad Racy who's playing is amazing. There are several sites that I know of: Onar Muzik/ Arif Sag has some pretty impressive instruments. And I doubt if Arif Sag would put his name on something of doubtful quality.
I have two baglama saz's from Yilmaz Sazevi that I bought in Berlin and they are great. I play one in concert that has a Najarian bridge on it. I cannot praise the sound enough. it's huge. And I have one from Lark that is also very good. But I had to pick it out of about 6 or 7 to get it. You'll pay money for the great ones unless you luck out and find a good one by chance. Good luck. D.Lindley
Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 04:39 AM

Mr. Dave

Yilmaz Sazevi, I've heard good things. I'm thinking of ordering from them sometime this year.

I've got 3 sazes,
My main acoustic one is built by Tekinler Müzik in Tünel, Istanbul (where all the shops are along Galip Dede). That has the shadow bridge pickup. Okay sound, a bit plasticy, piezo-esque.

A shortneck bağlama built by Bariş Müzik (couple of doors down from Tekinler's shop).

An electro bağlama from Öztürk Müzik, (hey I'm left handed, and htey had a lefty electro bağlama, I don't like the instrument as much as acoustic saz but hey I just had to get it)

and my first bağlama, student long neck from Yilmaz iPek.

I've also got one of the cümbüş-saz which has graced a few of your recordings mr. dave, I bought it in Istanbul. Still a dedicated fan of yours so had to grab one.............;)

I want to order a new bağlama this year before I head to Greece. Is Yilmaz SazEvi good stuff Dave?

It should be pointed out, that one of the BEST makers in Turkey by far is Akdeniz Saz Evi. http://www.akdenizsazevi.com/?intro=yok

They are expensive, but the work is nothing short of perfect. I've played several of their instruments, including a Divan bağlama, and they were the cleanest built and most clear sounding sazes I've ever played, hands down.

If your serious, go to them. Brilliant stuff.
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 07:10 AM

Hi Monty - Sounds like you know where things are. If you go there try them out everywhere. The one thing Henri Besancon told me to look out for is solid neks, usually mahogany. There are some necks that are covered with veneer that I would not recommend. But some of the higher end ones seem to be made that way. Also make sure there is enough fingerboard up near the nut so it can be planed down if it comes up. The one I have from
Yilmaz is the kind. Check Lark in the Morning, go up there and you might luck out and find a monster. Cool runnings. Lintfree
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 07:54 AM

Ozay Onal, a member of the Bengi Baglama trio, makes very fine traditional baglamas in Ankara. His work is first-rate.
His address is nevarsa@sazadair.com

His website: http://www.sazadair.com/sazadair/
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 10:36 AM

Orahim, you can also check dimitris' website: http://www.dimitrisouds.com/other_traditional_instruments.htm
His saz's look awsome, especially the bulgaris (a little expensive though).

al-Halabi thanks for sharing that website. It's got so much good and technical info for baglama.
Haluk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 01:21 PM

Al-Halabi,you have wrong information.
If you contact with me,I can give you large information about baglama.
Because of this forum about ouds,I don't want to bother members.

Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 05:28 PM

Dimitris bulgaris are brilliant, very distinctive sound.........workmanship is superb.
Orahim1
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 08:49 PM

Thanks for all the advice and links fellas. I've checked out a lot of saz video on Youtube and have enjoyed some sazes, while others didn't sound so good. I'm not at all familiar with the saz, but thought it would be nice to learn (I'm also interested in the laouta) a new string instrument. I'm like the idea of being able to have an instrument that has a MIddle Eastern sound, but can also play chords.
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 11:18 PM

Play everything you can and one of them will stick if not all of them. The first time I picked up a saz I was a gonner. The same with the oud. Not
too long ago these instruments were looked upon as odd or ethnic in the U.S. and now we see them for what they are - incredibly valuable and as valuable as the cultures they come from. That white kid up in appartment 4b is practicing the Maqams on her oud and the world will be better off for it.
Orahim1
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 06:43 PM

I'm heading up to Lark in the Morning this weekend to check out all of their instruments. I don't know if I'll actually buy anything, but it will give me a chance to get to know the instruments and allow me to make a decision from there.
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 01:34 AM

Lark is a good reference point. It was the only reliable source for years until the internet and now there's a huge market you can check out. As was mentioned before the really fine instruments will cost you. And ordering from pictures is risky sometimes. The Yilmaz saz I bought in Berlin I picked out of 20 or so. See who the best players are and what they play and go from there. Talip Ozcan and Arif Sag are two of my favorites but my knowledge is limited. There are some entries above who seem to know what they're talking about. Check them all out and go from there. Cool runnings. Lintfree
Haluk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-16-2007 at 02:00 AM

Hello Mustafa,

If you think to order powerful electric baglama for your stage performance,I can send you information about my new electric saz as well.

Regards.

Renato
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-16-2007 at 08:36 AM

hi there,
First. I would suggest that you avoid Shark of the Morning, as they mostly carry tourist instruments. (of course, they "could" order a nicer one, at a higher price), but I played two Cancaya ouds there and I would have NEVER picked up another Cankaya if I relied on that experience alone. I now own a Cancaya that is wonderful. So, Lark tends to have the lowest quality in the store. Cancaya has some nices sazes too, but I found them a bit expensive 2 years ago. But talk to them, they`re nice.
also, try Baris, or Haluk at Eraydin Sazevi, but if you`re serious, ask them for a non beginner model, because they make different kinds. They are nice people, honest and easy to work with. I have an oud and divan from Baris. If it is covered in what looks like embroidery designs all over the neck, chances are it is firewood. I`ve never played a nice one that had all that "beautiful" detail work. It is a tourist trap. Of course, some do exist. Be sure to emphasize baglama (short neck), or long neck saz, or longer (divan), etc.
okay, ciao.
I`m living in Chile, so coming by nice instruments is pretty difficult here. Anybody know of others in this part of the world?
mustafa
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-16-2007 at 06:58 PM

I received these pictures of the saz from Haluk bey, they look just beautiful,
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top