Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How stiff is yours? - so to speak!!
Oudoneit
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-4-2007 at 02:00 PM
How stiff is yours? - so to speak!!

I started oud with a very soft mizrap (risha, quill, whatever), but now feel it is too soft, but some are very hard and very difficult to play with. Necati Celik told me I would prefer harder plectrums as I became a better player. Is this generally true?

Rob
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-4-2007 at 05:56 PM

Hi,

My first exposure to a very hard mizrap was from Dr. Munir N. Beken - his are not only extremely stiff, but also very thick.

This gives you a lot more volume, and I think other benefits as well. But you have to get used to it, and depending on our style and desire as far as sound, you might prefer a medium to light pick. Yurdal Tokcan as far as I remember used a relatively flexible pick - probably medium thickness - and picked with only a small part of the tip. With a heavier pick, you can usually use more length of the pick for plucking, since it is stiff enough to bounce back on its own.

I think it's all relative - I personally usually use a very heavy pick unless I feel like using a lighter touch. :)

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
JC1907
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-7-2007 at 05:30 PM

It's all personal preference in my opinion. Yorgo Bacanos used hard picks according to accounts of him and we all know his tremelos and speed. I prefer medium to light. I like to feel the mizrap in my hand but I don't prefer too stiff of a mizrap. I have some favorites that I always use.

Go To Top