Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Not really oud....
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 01:39 AM
Not really oud....

I dont know if anyone has seen this, but its damn good - the closest you'd get to an arabic sounding classical guitar. Such familiar sound but with a very foreign technique... :airguitar:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaCedgdyJXE&mode=related&sea...
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 12:20 PM

very interesting, thank you, exactly what you said.

I tried to search for fretted ouds played in a classical guitar way, but did not find anything yet.

oudipoet
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 08:28 PM

hi guys the player is turkish and he is playing in turkish style guitar playing it s kind of mixture of turkish classical , folk, arabesk and there are some deep ethnic tones in that taksim ussually i call this style "ERKAN OGUR" style because he was the first turkish maybe the first person the planet" i am not sure about that one just gussing" that played a fretless guitar and crated his own style which i really love classic fretless guitar sounds really great and u can play any thing u want on it from western music to more advance turkish or arabic music.ERKAN OGUR has some videos on youtube as well your should check them out you would really undertsnad what i mean.
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 04:18 AM
Erkun Ogur

Erkun Ogur also plays the fretless electric guitar with an
E-Bow and it sounds EXACTLY like a ney. Not close but EXACTLY. It's the scariest thing you ever heard. When he played a concert in Koln, Germany he almost caused a riot. His technique on fretless steel-string guitar is like nothing I've ever before. He is totally unique.
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 05:05 AM

Not sure though how a fretted oud would sound like, probably not as interesting as a fretless guitar...To unfret a guitar is to give it a wold of endless possibilities; but to fret an oud would only cause limits I would imagine.
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 07:54 AM

There is an assumption that the oud was always unfretted, which is not the case. Ouds in the Middle East were fretted until the 16th century, and in some parts of the region even later (in Tunisia into the 20th century). Descriptions of ouds in medieval books describe how to tie the frets on the neck and the intervals used. Frets are limiting, but with all the bad intonation one hears from many oud players they also have some advantages.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 11:17 AM

Any idea how many frets were used on pre 16th century ouds and their locations?
Did the oud started fretless then the frets were added on a later stage before it was removed?

My understanding is that the calculations for the exact fingering position on the fretless oud neck to produce different notes were not accurate even at the beginning of the 19th century.
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 11:49 AM

The earliest Arab ouds that we know about had frets. In the 8th century they had four frets (whole tone, half-tone, half-tone, whole tone). The tone system changed in the following centuries, when some new microtonal intervals were adopted, and more frets were added. Ibn al-Tahhan, who was an accomplished oud player and court musician in Fatimid Cairo (mid-11th century), describes six frets used on ouds in Egypt in his time. One of them was a neutral third called wusta al-‘arab. Then he adds that there was another tone between the wusta al-‘arab and the major third called wusta Zalzal, but most people did not use it, although it was played by the Persians. He says that he knows how to play this wusta Zalzal without needing to add a fret for it, but that it can be difficult and therefore not recommended for beginners. He is describing two sizes of neutral thirds, a lower one common in Egypt and a higher one played in Iran, but we have no way of knowing the exact intonation of either of these two "half-flats."

Theorists have had different calculations for the size of the microtonal intervals since the medieval period. Al-Farabi (10th century) assigned the neutral third interval (C-E half flat) a ratio of 27/22, which is equivalent to 355 cents, or the ¾ tone of current Arab music. Al-Urmawi (13th century) assigned to this interval a different ratio equivalent to 384 cents, which corresponds to the current Turkish 8-comma interval. Other writers sometimes spoke about such tones by name or fingering position on the oud, but we have no way to know their exact intonation. Modern theorists have produced their own tables with different interval sizes.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 04:31 PM

Thanks al-Halabi, what do you recommend for further readings about the same subject during the medieval period?
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 08:23 AM

Habib Touma, "The Music of the Arabs," Amnon Shiloah, "Music in the World of Islam" and George Sawa, "Music Perforrmance Practice in the Early 'Abbasid Era" have chapters that summarize medieval theories. More detailed is Owen Wright's "The Modal System of Arab and Persian Music, A.D. 1250-1300." A facsimile of the medieval manuscript of Muhammad Ibn al-Tahhan ("Hawi al-funun wa salwat al-mahzun") was issued in Germany in 1990, but it may not be easy to find (the English title is "Compendium of a Fatimid Court Musician"). There is a lot written in Arabic on the medieval theorists.

Go To Top