Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rosette (assisted) Custom Design
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 10:00 AM
Rosette (assisted) Custom Design

I was just experimenting an idea, I knew that rosette design (like calligraphy and arabesque design) should obey to some sort of "Array Rules" and that it should be possible to generate using mathematical rules, a serie of of geometrical symmetries and planar projections.
I used some image processing tools in order to generate a rosette with a name discreertly embedded in the design, the test was done using the name MIKE (a tribute to our generous host).
It is only a start as some parts are not yet connected or very thin which is an aberration, still trying to define the rules for this and it would be helpful if you can tell me what should be the minimum "craftable" thickness.(in mm)

The nice thing is that all I have to do is to type a new name in the function and the rosette is generated in real time with the new name embedded.

what do you think ?
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 01:50 PM

Very cool, what image processing tools did you use? Is it possible to write Arabic text?
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 02:31 PM

It is possible to write in arabic but not as direct text entry (for now), it has to be imported-in rasterized (as an image), I don't really like computer arabic fonts, in my work (which is animation and motion graphics) I frequently deal with an old calligrapher who still work with Kalam or kasbah (a simple bamboo), I recently asked him to show me some of his "Rounded" work meant for cutout (see attached).

The procedure I am exploring now is using some complex motion graphics softwares, once done I will try to adapt it to Photoshop.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 03:25 PM

Very interesting. Good luck with your development work and keep us all posted.
hakeem.ram
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouding my time away

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 10:29 PM

Would seriously want to know wat software u use. perhaps a little tutorial write up would be really great and beneficial to all members here.

Thanks and God be with you
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-16-2007 at 01:27 AM

Very interesting !
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-16-2007 at 03:35 PM

Mirroring, symmetry, array.... many math words to describe a simple toy all kids know (or may be used to)... it is a Kaleidoscope!
This a great tool to design rosettes.
All the real work is done in creating your base pattern (#2 in the pic) that's where you should give attention so that everything is connected, the rest is a matter of tweaking parameters.

I used S6 monsters - KAL ( http://www.speedsix.com ) hosted in Fusion5.1 ( http://www.eyeonline.com ), thenI did some research and I found a

freeware photoshop Plugin that can do a good job:
http://www.mehdiplugins.com/english/kaleidoscope.htm

It has only the basic features but with tweakings (and by using more than one step) you will have a good result.

#3 is done in S6Kal
#4 with Mehdi free plugin

One final tip: in order to make sure that your base pattern is consistent (all connected) as well as your final result just through a red or yellow paint bucket on your white, if something stays white it means that you have a GAP to fix. (then undo your paint, fix it and try again)
If the lines seem too thin select your base pattern, use magic wand select then use : Edit - Stroke (center, 2 pixels) then reapply filter
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-16-2007 at 04:33 PM

Very interesting Alami. Nice to know there is a program capable of this. This is how I've done roses before, only using a scanner and Corel Draw. This is pretty slick. Are those floral designs your own?

As for minimum thickness of the lines, the Abdo Nahat calligraphy shamsa (Hamza el Din's oud) exhibits lines that are perhaps .2mm. It's quite amazing. I think it only depends on the cutter's skill level. It also depends on the material. Wood will not take the fineness of bone or ivory.

Aesthetically, I think if you simplify the design a bit, open it up, it will be more practical to cut out. Another issue besides line thickness is very tight spaces. They can't be smaller than a jeweler's saw blade, and if they are just bigger, provide little room to maneuver the blade to make the cut.

I'd like to see some more designs if you care to make some. Try making the design a little larger.

Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-16-2007 at 05:20 PM

Alami, thanks for posting the links and the mini tutorial, this is a very powerful tool.
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-17-2007 at 05:16 PM

Thanks Jameel for the info I will try to refine this method in order to make it practical.

For oriental arabesques and calligraphy clip art libraries check this great ressource, Marwan Aridi has been working for more than 20 yaers on his collections of ancient art brought into digital vector format.

http://www.aridi.com
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2007 at 09:53 AM

A set of basic shapes to help composing the basic pattern for the Photoshop plugin
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2007 at 09:55 AM

A simpler result using the above shapes, it has to be manually connected or made thicker where needed
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-8-2007 at 05:09 PM

Now there you have something! I can see a lot of that as mother-of-pearl inlay too. Since the Arabic world gave us a lot of math it's appropriate that the computer be used as a natural extension to make oud rosettes. The only problem is that a program like that can suck you in and you'll NEVER come out! With the endless variations possible who needs food and sleep and all those other things. Dangerous.

Go To Top