Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Twelth peg ?
Brynley
Oud Addict

Mood: very positive

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 07:49 PM
Twelth peg ?

I am a new person on the pat,h of the oud and recently started lesson,s with an Iraqi oud master who studied with Jamil Bashir, I feel very lucky and honoured to study with him. I bought my oud from him, it is a very plain oud with one uncovered sound hole,made in Syria by a lesser known maker, but my teacher says it has a good sound , and I agree, it has that nice deep sound I always loved . My question is this,why the twelth peg hole in the peg box? My teacher tells me it is,nt used ,but i,ve seen pictures of some oud,s with the 12th string , also the nut on my oud is grooved for an extra string. I,m curious as to the reasons behind all this. Any answers to this mystery anyone?
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 09:33 PM

hi. most players use 11 strings or 10 strings, but some add an extra pair of treble strings to the 10 string tuning, making it 12 string. so if your current high treble pair is C, they would add a treble pair in the key of F above it. of course, if you ever start on the bachir oud, then you could even be dealing with 13 strings. but you said yours is syrian right?

it's no big deal, enjoy your oud! it's really great that you can study with a student of such a famous master.

take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 10:03 PM
12th string

Dear Brynley,

For normal tunings the "top" string (lowest frequency) is usually so thick and heavy that putting two of them together might cause them to come in contact and "buzz".

So most players leave the 12th string out. Some oud makers will make provision for a 12th string even though it's normally not needed. There are some ouds (like the Bashir ouds) that may have 13 strings, but then the thick one some times goes on the "bottom".

There's nothing wrong with your oud, and the way your teacher told you to tune it.

Enjoy it.
Spyros C
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 10:04 PM

Hi guys!

Yup its no big deal-just enjoy learning and playing the instrument!

Salam

Zul
***take out that extra peg and keep it safe somewhere!:D
Adel
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 12:31 AM

Hi Brynley,
Can you be so kind to tell me who is your teacher.
Salamat,
Adel
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 09:13 AM

i have a twelfth peg on my syrian oud, but it is not stringed. its used for extra base when you have twelve strings as opposed to eleven.
Brynley
Oud Addict

Mood: very positive

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 11:48 PM

Hi Adel, My teachers name is Sirwan Yamolki , this may not be the correct spelling, as I only know it by ear, as is the instruction by ear also. For the rest of the thread , It,s very interesting that the oud is still evolving , different string set ups ,tuning etc, and yet keeps its basic form. What was the old tuning(s) back when the oud had only four courses? Thanks

Go To Top