Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Syrian Oud Maker
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 01:22 PM
Syrian Oud Maker

Does anybody have any information about an older Syrian Oud maker in Damascus by the name of Muhammad Sobhi Dikah (or Dakah).

He had a shop on Madrassah Street in the 1960s.

Thanks
dubai244
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-17-2004 at 09:25 PM
hi ...!

well, i have been 8 times to Damascus and i didnt hear about this guy before. Notice that so many people in syria have instrument shop and they are not the worker. If you want a good quality oud, you can get it from (Ahemd Ali Ajaj), his address is Damascus, AL-Emadiyah, Joober. i dont have his Telephone number and any contact number with him.
But the problem is with ordering the oud, Actually, you can not order oud from there unless you know some there that he will bring the oud for you or you go by yourself to get it.
By the way, i use his oud and it is very nice and good quality compare to you will see in Damascus of ouds.
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-18-2004 at 01:19 AM
Old Syrian oudmaker

Shukran ya akhi,

The reason I wanted to find out, is because there was this old oud for sale and the label inside had the picture of this guy, and the inscription in Arabic, with the name Muhammad Sobhi Dikah, with a shop in Jobbar, Damascus.

Thanks for the offer, I wasn't going to order from there, though.

Spyros C.
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-22-2004 at 11:24 PM

There was an oud for sale on eBay a while ago by Muhammad Sobhi Dikah, I think that you identified the builder Spyros. I actually bid on the oud as it looked like it was well made and I wanted an older oud. The price went higher than I wanted to pay for an oud that I couldn't play before buying it though. I hope I have the opportunity to someday travel to Egypt or Syria and find a couple of older, mellow sounding ouds that are well made.

Cheers,
Roy
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-6-2004 at 02:48 AM

Are Ali Khalifeh & Sons still on the go as well?
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-6-2004 at 01:00 PM
Ali Khalifa

Ali Khalifa passed away some years ago, and Mouafaq, his nephew, was running the place. The quality has declined considerably. They now produce what I call "tourist" grade ouds. You can tell by looking at the sloppily glued PLASTIC rosettes with the glue still showing around the edges, etc. If you find an old piece though you might be OK. There was an "alleged" Ali Khalifa oud for sale the other day for $ 3,000 with a label inside with a date of 1905 ???
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 02:23 PM

i got one of these "tourist" grade ouds as a gift and it took me a long time before i could even look at it, let alone play it.

i removed the tasteful plastic rosettes with the sensitive g-clef motif and attacked the bright and shiney laquer veneer with some steel wool. god it was awful. but i have to say that when i'd finished, i had a respectable sounding - though undoubtedly "cheap" and nasty looking - oud.

it's much louder than my better made, egyptian oud but it lacks ... i suppose "personality" would be a good word. it's much easier to play than my egyptian oud and very much lighter.

if this mouafaq is approachable i wish someone would tell him that with just a little bit of effort - i mean just a tiny bit - and with just a little more attention to detail - particularly in the production and the finishing-off process - he could do a lot better than he does at present.

i would never have bought it myself. the wood is lifeless, particularly those pieces used in the construction of the peg box and it looks generally as if it was put together by someone who couldn't have cared less.

if someone gives you one, accept it gladly but don't waste your money buying it.

- bill
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 02:32 PM

My Syrian oud is from Anwar Kubeh & Sons... could you guys check it out to see if it's a nice one or not?

http://www.angelfire.com/oz/nadir/oud.html

I have to say though, whatever opinion I get, I'm going to love this oud forever...
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 03:20 PM
Dear Bill and Nadir

Actually the plastic rosette in addition to the g-clef has the name of the builder in Arabic. Older ouds had Ali Khalifa's name newer ones say Mouafaq Khalifa.

It's also interesting that the real Ali Khalifa's (the older ones) did NOT have that disgusting laquer on the face, and had a characteristic red/green edge trim which continued up along the sides of the neck all the way to the peg box. Since that obviously means a lot more work, Mouafaq dropped it from the "production" version.

Nadir, your oud is beautiful and you have every right to love it. Since we haven't heard its sound we can't say anything about it other than it is gorgeous. Enjoy it.
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-14-2004 at 05:31 AM

Thanks Spyros... :D
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 4-14-2004 at 06:02 AM

nadir -

i looked at your anglefire site - i don't think i have that many photos of my children! you don't carry one in your wallet do you?

just joking. it's a lovely oud. hope you both enjoy a long and tuneful life.

sincerely - bill
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-14-2004 at 06:33 AM

:applause:
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-14-2004 at 08:27 AM

Yes, it's a pretty oud isn't it? Did you buy it in Dubai?

That's a real shame about Khalifa, it sounds like it would have been better if the business had passed away with him.
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-14-2004 at 02:05 PM

Thanks guys! I actually did get this oud in Dubai... CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY TURUNZ PICS TOMORROW! :bounce:

Go To Top