Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: What/how many instruments do you play?
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 05:54 AM
What/how many instruments do you play?

Other than the oud (which I've been playing for six months), I've been playing guitar for 9 years - now I play the oud a lot more. I'm seriously thinking of taking up the (turkish? Ethnic? Whatever you call it, though I want to learn some jazz as well) clarinet, and I'd like to have just a few lessons on the bouzouki so I could get the feel right when playing rembetika and israeli "eastern" music (on guitar or bouzouki).

Do you think focusing on the oud AND clarinet is too much since I haven't gotten alot of experience with either one? Guitar type instruemnts at least are not technichally challanging for me, because their shape is farmiliar. How many instruments do you play and how did you juggle between learning them?
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 06:53 AM

Usualy, people say that one should concentrate to one thing, but....I know a few people who could play two instruments very good and I listened to others that play only one instrument for 10 years and it is still bad.

But, when I hear that somebody plays: sitar, tabla, oud, flute, qanoon and wants to try clarinet, violin and singing, i don't have think this person will manage to do it good....
Do what you feel. I also play pan flute that I started long before oud.

:rolleyes:
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 07:00 AM
Hi guys,

Hi guys,

I play oud and I am also a profissional drummer. In addition, I took 2 years of voice studies, and sing in Parties.

Hilal :)
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 07:34 AM

Focus on the instrument(s) that gives you most fulfillment musically - even if you may never aspire to become a professional.
Western musicians usually seem to be trained in their instrument of choice as well as keyboard in order to develop a good grounding in musical theory.
I do not play oud but imagine that singing would be particularly complementary in helping to develop performing skills with that instrument.
will_oud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 09:24 AM

I play about 30 different instruments. Most of which are stringed, keyboard, and percussive instruments. I'm self tought in every instrument. I learn by listening. I play guitar, piano, accordion, organ, some bagpipe, darbuka, bouzouki, oud, harps of varrious types, some sitar, bass guitar, steal guitar, mandolin, mondol, oud, bodran, Irish tin whistle, African Djembe, congas, African talking drum, Cuban batta drum, bongos, Brazilian berimbau, saxophone, mariachi vihuela, guitarron, timpany, didgeridoo, shofar, jaw harp, some saz, ukulele, some zourna, and banjo. I hope I didn't blow anyone out of the water with all the instruments I play, and it should be noted that I do not own all of these instruments. I own about half the instruments listed here.

William F. Sparks
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Moud

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 01:07 PM

I started playing guitar in 1968, followed by 3 years of viola in Jr. High (I didn't keep that up, unfortunately, and keep thinking about picking it up again). My drummer friend wanted to learn guitar, so I started beating his drum set and eventually got to be a fair drummer. I tried flute in college but kept getting light-headed and gave it up... There was always a shortage of bass players so I picked up electric bass and toured Germany with a band many years ago. I played mandolin with that band also.

I've always liked making noise with various percussion instruments and studied derbukka, dumbek, tabla (or whatever you want to call it) and also frame drum and riqq. I can play rhythms but not too much fancy stuff...

I also have a joura (small bouzouki) and a balalaika that I mess around with but don't play seriously in the traditional styles. I've been learning oud for the past 3 or 4 years.

I've always been inspired by multi-instrumentalists and feel that it is helpful to at least know how various instruments work and what it takes to play them. It really helps to make you a better player and a better listener, even if you're not an expert at everything. (and it's fun!)

For more about my instruments and me, see http://www.easternstrings.com (a work in progress).

Nathan
rebetostar
Oud Maniac

Mood: Ajam Ushayran

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 02:01 PM

Hi,
I've been a kit drummer (jazz, funk, a wide variety of world music) since 1986,
Guitarist since 1989 (also when I played my first oud in Abu Dhabi BTW),
Started learning Greek songs in 1997, playing frame drums, toumbeleki, and baglama. Since 2000 I've been collecting and learning instruments such as the santoor, dzoura, Indian tabla, even accordion. (And of course, the oud). For me it's nice to have access to a palette of sounds and concepts from different traditions, to use in composition, performance & production. I admit that I'm not a master of any of these instruments, compared to a talented artist who would focus on one instrument/tradition for his or her whole life. I find that when I have to give an important performance on a particular instrument, that I must put everything else aside and focus all my attention on that. Same when learning something new..give it some serious focus for as long as you can. If you are trying to learn clarinet and oud at the same time, you may never move past basic ability on either one.
Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 08:19 PM

Hi,
Guitarist of over 13 years here, primarily acoustic fingerstyle these days, plus classical which i'm doing at university this year.

I play oud (turkish), saz and cretan laouto. These I consider my three primary instruments in the Greek/Turkish music scene. I play the oud and sazes with a few groups here, and Cretan laouto with a lyra player who has now left Adelaide.....Kritika is my favourite of Greek folk music.

I also play mandolin (second instrument) bouzoukis (greek and irish types), cümbüş (which I use as a different sound color sometimes from the oud), Yayli tanbur, which I now want to seriosuly study, plus mandolin.

I'll post a picture of the collection soon.
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 10:32 PM

in the house, i have:

- two ouds
- two mandolins
- two charangos
- three guitars (rarely touched)
- a baritone ukulele
- a clunky saz, which never gets touched
- two soprano recorders - one plastic, the other in pearwood
- 4 bagpipes - two blugarian gaidas- "g" and "d"; a hümmelchen and a schäferpfeife.

of that lot i only play oud and one or two of the bagpipes on a regular basis.

a group photo of the "gang" would be a shameful admission of greed.
kkeys
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 10:36 PM

Hello everyone,

Guitar since 1990
oud since 1992
Buzuq since 1993
Nai since 1997
Durbakkeh/ Tar (Frame Drum) 1997
Keyboard 2001
Bass Guitar 2006

Playing many instrument will make you a better music arranger, it will also make you less focused....
will_oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 10:43 PM

Cool! I used to own a Bulgarian kaba gaida, but I had to sell it because it was getting too costly to maintain. Most of what I have that's bagpipe is a couple of chanters. One is a Jay Dunbar extra long practice chanter, and a Jay Dunbar delrin Great Highland bagpipe chanter. I'm thinking about seeing if I can get a reed cap for my highland pipe chanter, and play it as an early cornemuse with circular breathing.

William F. Sparks
excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 11:23 PM

kkeys- I feel you on the arranger/focus comment- I know exactly how that is!

3 Ouds
1 Gimbri
1 Violin
1 Bolivian Charango (Aardvark)
3 Guitars (1 Les Paul, 2 Classicals)
1 wierd unknown-origin black inlayed rebaba-thingy
5 Tablas
1 ASR-10 (the greatest production box ever to be made)
3 Nays
1 Berimbau

And yeah- now a days I only play my Ghadban Oud and my Les Paul and Classical guitars....:shrug: But always making beats on the ASR-10.

what a shame huh?

tarik
Oudoneit
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 11:48 PM

Vihuela
Baroque Guitar
18th-century wire-strung 'guittar'
Parker Fly Deluxe
19th-century classical guitar
Brook 'Lyn' steel-strung guitar
Ozark dobro for slide
Lutes
Baglama
...and oud

Rob
PS You can hear most of the above on my website: http://www.rmguitar.info
Sasha
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 12:12 AM

Since there is no 12 step program for instruments, I feel safe in confessing:

2 ouds
1 cumbus
1 meydan saz
3 baglama saz
2 bozuk saz
2 cura saz
1 cumbus saz
2 gimbri
1 afghan rabab
i turkoman dutar
1 persian setar (needs new frets and bridge)
1 persian santoor
1 azeri kshkarjeh (like Uzbek rabap)
2 blacksea kemenche
6 egyptian rebabas (all built by me)
2 turkish ney (1 kiz, 1 dokah)
1 set of cheap Egyptian nays (7 in all - 4 are actually playable)
3 turkish meys (like armenian duduk, but with a rougher tone)
1 Armenian paku (a single reed - the descendant of the Greek and Roman tibiea
12 zurnas and mizmars invarious keys
12 or so turkish sipsis
6 mijwiz
too many frame drums to count
6 darabukkahs
2 davul/tupan tabl beledi
1 armenian dhol
1 Kyrgyz komuz (3 string lute)

Many of these were 'found' and needed a home that would love them. Many were previously used only as decoration, and were playable instruments and not wallhangers.

I play oud and saz mostly (between 45 minutes to an hour each pernight) plus an hour of one of the other instruments.

Lately my neighbours have been ill-behaved, so I have been practicing the zurna quite a lot recently.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 02:02 AM

Hello - small beer I,m afraid

I've played guitar since 1981 (fingerstyle, improvisation)
I've played oud just over a year, which I play most of all now, I have a duduk (Armenian reed instrument made from apricot root) but just cannot play it - its too in the head for me whereas the oud is held closer to the heart!!

Leon
jazzchiss
Oud Junkie

Mood: Improvising

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oudoneit
Vihuela
Baroque Guitar
18th-century wire-strung 'guittar'
Parker Fly Deluxe
19th-century classical guitar
Brook 'Lyn' steel-strung guitar
Ozark dobro for slide
Lutes
Baglama
...and oud

Rob
PS You can hear most of the above on my website: http://www.rmguitar.info

Hi, Rob.
You play very well the Spanish early music.
Do you have oud recordings?

Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 03:32 AM

goooooosh!
:bounce:

OK, OK, I can also play on comb.

:))
will_oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 04:18 AM

I see there are a few guitarests on here. That's my master instrument. If you would like to hear some of my guitar music, here's a web cite. http://www.utsagospel.110mb.com That's the University of Texas at San Antonio's gospel media page. There's some video and audio up there. Let me know what you think.

William F. Sparks
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 05:05 AM

... hot, mr. sparks - very hot. wish there was more of you and the band in the videos and less of the choir (as good as they are).

which of the many stringed instruments you mention do you feel the most - physically feel?
Oudoneit
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzchiss
Hi, Rob.
You play very well the Spanish early music.
Do you have oud recordings?

I have only ever recorded one CD track with oud, and I played it fingerstyle in my own way, not traditional. You can hear it on my website here: http://www.rmguitar.info/mp3.htm
- scroll down to a track called 'Nine' - it is an accompaniment to a poem recited by its author - pretty heavy stuff about pro-democracy activists being hanged in Nigeria. The oud part was completely improvised with only one run-through before hand. I'm really pleased with the performance, but it will not please everyone...

Rob
PS I am happy that you like the early Spanish recordings!:bounce:
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 06:36 AM

Christ! All these people with so much time on their hands. Surley many of yous must be professional musicians. I myself recently began my professional career as an architect which leaves very little time from music. Although violin is my first instrument which I leared at high school, I took up bouzouki lessons for some 5 years, 6 string rebetiko style. Oud came about five years ago (two types, iraqi and standard egyptian). Sadly I dont have the time for all these instruments, so I tend to think, do one a do it properly. Although I cant go without my daily dosage of oud, I can't even bare the thought of getting rid of my violin, which comes out of the case about once a week. The bouzouki hasn't been touched for 2 months, though when I pick it up I think I was born to play bouzouki!!! I've had other fancies, like the mainland laouto, the sound is so beautiful and mysterious; and the baglama saz; I think I will buy one soon.

So a real mess, so much so that half the time at work I'm thinking, how I'm going to juggle my instruments, of even a scarier thought, whether to just give it all up and concentrate on my very demanding career - which I do love as well. Put simply, I think I need serious help :(

I wonder how other people deal with this issue - those who have professions in a completely different field yet at the same time heavily into music....
kkeys
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kkeys
Hello everyone,

Guitar since 1990
oud since 1992
Buzuq since 1993
Nai since 1997
Durbakkeh/ Tar (Frame Drum) 1997
Keyboard 2001
Bass Guitar 2006

Playing many instrument will make you a better music arranger, it will also make you less focused....

I should also mention, No wife no GF, no kids, just Anouar Brahim CDs, and a laptop........and a career
Arto
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 08:09 AM

This is a nice thread, and it seems that there are a lot of of soul mates here! I have been having a somewhat guilty conciousness for makind detours for different instruments and musical cultures - I have the family and pretty busy professional life, so I don´t have so much time for music. I think that if I´d be "wise", I´d concentrate on mandolin and piano I´ve been playing the longest and might have some possibility to get at a moderate playing ability level. Instead of fumbling with this and that. And my kids tease me that dad buys instruments he "never" plays (they mean that buying computer games for them would be money better spent...). But what do you do, when you love so many kinds of music? And it really gives me great joy to be able to play on oud, and sometimes also to get about right, those beautiful intervals you can never play on mandolin or piano (at present, I´m in love with ussak makam).

My list (SO modest... next time the kids tease me, I´ll show what you other guys have!)

4 mandolins
digital piano
oud
5-string banjo
tenor banjo (my friend´s)
charango
ukulele

wish list (abbreviated):
TANBUR, Portuguese guitarra, saz, jouhikko, bandurria.

:) Arto
rebetostar
Oud Maniac

Mood: Ajam Ushayran

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 10:02 AM

All right, since we're confessing our vices here..

3 electric guitars (2 Ibanez, 1 Sears SilverTone)
1 Norman acoustic guitar
1 Egyptian oud (being sold to friend)
1 Sukar electric oud (received yesterday!)
1 Greek dzoura
1 cumbus
1 Persian santoor
1 Canadian maple 4-pc drum set
3 darbuka/toubelekis
1 djembe
3 frame drums of different sizes
1 riq
1 set Indian tabla
1 bag of shakers, jingles & percussion
1 homemade (tuneable) berimbau
1 Indian bulbul tarang
1 Roland SPD-S
Logic Pro software..

whew.

:rolleyes: I feel better now actually..
will_oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 10:07 AM

To answer Bill's question, my speciality is in the fretted instrument area, and mainly guitar.

William F. Sparks
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top