Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: What/how many instruments do you play?
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 05:25 AM

Yes " i eleni i Zontohira" from Yovan Tsaous (or his real name Yannis Eitzeridis- a very skilled tanbur player).

Melbourne i must admit that you picked an exception from Rebetiko composers :) Because Yovan Tsaous was maybe the ONLY one from the Rebets who never used drugs (he actually never performed live too-he was all in all a family man). The most of the lyrics wrote his woman ,who used to look outside from the window the junkies and wrote down what they were doing.

Of course the other Rebets were exactly like you describe..

Nikos
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdowning
... The two vihuelas are scaled down, less decorative, versions of the so called "Paris Vihuela", the only recognised surviving vihuela that I had reference to at the time (1970's).

scaled down vihuelas? ... sounds wonderful - can we see some photos, please?

charangista bill
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 01:29 PM

No problem - will post some images tomorrow.
Iznogoud
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 01:57 PM

By way of making introductions...

Very happy to find an oud forum finally! Surfed on in totally by accident.

I'm a freelance musician based in Helsinki, Finland. Guitar mainly (since '94), oud since 2003. Heavily into acoustic guitars (fretted and fretless), also play electric in various projects.

\"I suppose you could tie a piano to your crotch, but would it be the same thing?\" -Kim Thayil
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 07:59 PM
My Instruments

4 ouds and still collecting
2 guitars
1 Tzoura (Greek)
1 Baglama (Greek)
1 Hammer Dulcimer or Santouri (depending on how you look at it)
1 Buzouk
1 Native American Flute
1 Digeridoo
1 kalimba
1 dumbek
1 Riq
1 Bendir

Most of these I can make reasonable noise with – I'm relatively strong on guitar and getting better on oud. I've just totally fallen in love with the oud and almost haven't touched my guitar for the last year. I used to be pretty good on Santouri but I must confess that I haven't tuned it up in a while. If I didn't have to work for a living I'd probably play music all day and night. At some point I'm going to have to get a Bouzouki (because I'm Greek) but I'm still having too much fun with oud right now!

:airguitar:

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
peppeo77
Oud Junkie

Mood: easy like ever

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 12:32 AM

Instuments in my house:

2 Ouds, one Sukar and one Baytar,
5 Guitars, acoustic and electric, my beauty is a 1968 Gibson SG,
1 Baglama Saz, no brand,
1 Mandolin, end of 1800, belonged to my greatgrandfather,
1 Wide collection of electric devices for guitar (Vox AC-30 rules...)!

Still collecting...
Bye bye guys...Peppeo.
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 01:04 AM

Thanx for the info Nikos. Apologies to Yovan Taous then, for the wrong accusations :D
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 08:41 AM

This is another "Topic Modulation" in response to billkilpatrick's request for images of my scaled down vihuelas. I am a bit reluctant to start a trend of posting images as part this thread - as things might get out of hand(!) but as so many Forum members obviously have wide ranging musical interests I shall talk a bit about the 16th C Spanish vihuela and keep images and image size to a minimum.
The repertoire for the vihuela is contained in seven surviving books of tablature - much of it of high quality. Recreating a vihuela for "authentic" performance of this repertoire is problematical as few vihuelas survive - indeed when I made my vihuelas in the late 1970's only one instrument, supposed to be a genuine vihuela (the so called Paris Vihuela - dating from around 1500) was in evidence. The Paris Vihuela is, however, a very large bass instrument with a string length of 798 mm and may not typically represent a vihuela of the period. It is perhaps more of a 'masterpiece' work primarily demonstrating the skill of the luthier in executing decorative work. The only other clues can be found in the few early texts and somewhat primitive engravings of the period.
The vihuela (or rather vihuela de mano) looks like a guitar but is in fact derived the 15th C bowed viol (vihuela de arco). It was contemporary with the lute and was tuned like a lute having between 5 and 7 pairs of strings. Vihuelas were also made in different sizes so they could be played in duos, trios or quartets but the standard size for solo performance likely had a string length of about 550 mm.
Tinctoris writing in 1487 describes the vihuela as having a flat back, with sides curving inwards and smaller than the lute. From the limited evidence available in the 1970s I, therefore, created two vihuelas - one with string length 543 mm and the other 697 mm. both with characteristic flat back, shallow body, parchment rose in high position, low bridge position, tile decoration in the soundboard etc.
The attached image shows the "Paris Vihuela", an engraving from "El Maestro" by Luis Milan 1536 and a quaint engraving of a vihuela from a treatise by Juan Bermudo 1555. The latter although crude in execution and confusing (it shows 7 courses but only 12 pegs), does indicate a shallow body, high rose position and low bridge position
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 08:44 AM

..... and here are my two vihuela reconstructions.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 08:49 AM

...... as well as a few close up details. That V shaped pegbox to neck joint was difficult to make!
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 10:18 AM

gasp! ... gorgeous!
Brynley
Oud Addict

Mood: very positive

[*] posted on 2-28-2007 at 10:04 AM

I am also somewhat of a string addict, 3 mandolins(1 Burmese),2 fiddles(1 crosstuned),2 tenor banjos,cumbus,vihuela, and a plain oud by Kibbeh. I,m mostly self taught , as I live in a rural area, but started oud while living in the city, relatively near a teacher, and have been going to instructional music camps these last few years, which has been very helpful. I would say that I,m master of none of these instruments, but the mechanical skills learned on each instrument can be interchangeable, and ear training can be enhanced also. For sure concentrating on 1 or 2 instruments only would probably make me a better player on those instruments, ( especially if started at a very young age with good instruction!). However life being what it is, I,ll have to be content with my progress or lack of it, and enjoy the music, that,s key. I,d also add that technical ability may not be everything, and that being able to express emotion through the instrument(s) could be more important. I,d be interested to hear what member Lintfree might have to add to this interesting thread.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top