Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Kevork Mazloomian - mission improbable
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-14-2007 at 09:02 AM

Richard - Thanks for the detailed images showing the 'cut through' banding arrangement around the edge of the belly.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-14-2007 at 11:42 AM

Isn't it always that way? I understand that the purfling does not go through the spruce around the rosettes, but the outer banding is added on after the face is put on. I thought that it was always done that way.

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-14-2007 at 12:40 PM

Not on the oud that I am restoring. The banding around the edge of the belly is half the thickness of the belly and glued into a rebate cut around the edge - the way it would have been done on an early guitar or lute.
This seems to be an uncommon way of banding an oud but there are a few things about my oud that seem to be a little out of the ordinary (compared to modern oud construction methods) and I was hoping that these peculiarities might give a clue about where and when it was originally made. At present the current best guess is Egyptian, made around 1920 but I am open to other informed suggestions. Unfortunately, the edge of the belly is now so deteriorated that it will have to be repaired with a 'cut through' banding to the full depth of the belly. Not a problem but another variation from its original state in order to restore it to working condition.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Oud
-The pegbox bushings are certainly not original. I cannot image why someone would go to the extra labor to install bushings in the original pegbox.
-The support blocks under the brace ends are unusual although I do believe they were used by Fadel on the original Bashir design.
-I'll have to check about the edge band depth.

yes it was used by Mohammed Fadel on his Bashir model. Makers like Yaroub Fadel and Fawzy Monshed drill a hole trough the side of bowl in to all the bracing and fill it with a mix of glue and sawdust. Dont ask me how they remove a broken soundboard...

Best wishes

Ronny
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 3-21-2009 at 08:26 AM

Well, some progress at last! Some ribs have been repaired and re-mounted and the inside is fully lined with parchment paper (except the last 2 ribs). I have 1 more rib to restore the ends, and one rib and separator strips to make and fit in.

paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 3-21-2009 at 08:50 AM

Hi Richard,

Thanks for keeping us all up to date on this fascintaing (sp?) restoration, much appreciated !

Regards..Paul
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-22-2009 at 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronny Andersson
.... Makers like Yaroub Fadel and Fawzy Monshed drill a hole through the side of bowl in to all the bracing and fill it with a mix of glue and sawdust. Dont ask me how they remove a broken soundboard...

I've seen a few other brace end pins used as well. There is a small nail or pin through the rib into the brace. The filler is only to hide the nail head on the rib surface. To remove the face you'd have to push the pin into the brace until it clears the rib, or use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade like I used when removing wallstuds in my carpenter days.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 09:01 AM

Thanks, Doc, for the update.

patheslip
Oud Junkie

Mood: smooth

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 09:54 AM

'fascinating'

(Am I pedantically offering spelling advice to Paul0 or commenting on this project? ;))
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-7-2010 at 02:15 PM

Update -the Mission Improbable Mazloumi is back on the bench. Closer inspection showed that the braces were wrong - too thick, too many, and one directly under the bridge. I removed them and installed braces of the Manol design. Because it was post card thin, the back was lined entirely with parchment paper (pure cellulose fiber infused with hide glue). The neck was removed (tenon sawed through) and re-set (with a dowel). The flat grained pine patch in the face was replaced with a vertical grain piece of old spruce. A tortoise shell replica plastic pickguard was installed. Some corner kerfs were added at the bottom bout corners to support damaged areas, as face there is about 1/2 mm thick. The back is complete and the old finish removed. As I was about to string it up, I realized that the pegs were installed for a left hand player. The peg holes had been filled with bushings, so it may have been originally right handed anyway. The brace design is compensated for standard stringing, and the owner is a right hand player, so the pegs will be restored to a standard configuration.
The pictures show the bare back, previous braces, the new brace design, the inside liner, the front, and the pegbox.

previous braces.JPG - 179kB New Braces.jpg - 81kB Inner Liner.jpg - 61kB

bare back.jpg - 75kB pegs1.jpg - 83kB

face complete.jpg - 44kB

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-22-2010 at 06:44 PM
It's done!

finally, but it was worth it. This oud has a lot of character and class. Who has an oud from Paris, France? Yea, there's an audio/video file..

Restored front.jpg - 73kB Restored back.jpg - 84kB

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 11:39 AM

That looks amazing, Doc. I can't wait to see it!

paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 7-25-2010 at 09:42 AM

Hey Jonathan,

Nice oud man, and Richard -- lovey work, as usuall. It sounds and looks great.

Regards..Paul
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-31-2010 at 07:46 AM

The oud arrived safe and sound, Doc, and I am very very very happy with the results.
This was quite a project, and the quality of your work really shines through on this.
I am very grateful.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top