Printable Version  
Author: Subject: taqsim problom
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 08:28 PM
taqsim problom

hey guys
After practicing for a long time and getting somwhat nowhere but progresing a lil {which is good} when working on taqsims i get stuck and go black and stuff liek that my transicions are not really good buit learning.
after watching and listening to alof of oud players hear and pros around how do u get the wawa sound like i see yr finger moves side to side but for some odd reason i can figure out exacly how to do that i am hitting the string wrong or bad tioming or what
so plezzz help me out and this could meen gold to me
thx sammy
p.s if someone can make a short lil clip that would be great i ca visialize better

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
MARTAN
Oud Addict

Mood: LOOKING FOR NEW HORZIONS

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 09:29 PM
I AM WITH YOU

Hi SAMMY
I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH,AND FEEL FOR YOU.
I LOOK FORWARD TO SOME FEED BACK ON THIS PROBLEM

Regards from Martin in EILAT
SHALOM:cool::cool:
oudipoet
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 10:52 PM

well i ll try to explain this as much as i can because playing a taqsim is really hard there are several reasons for that.

first in order to play a taqsim u "have to" know our music and the rules of our music very well when i say our music i mean middleeast music that could be turkish,arabic and so on.

and also when i say music i mean makams and the way they are played

that was the technical part of playing taksim now u mention about something about hand movements well that s totaly up to you noone can really teach you that when u play you can not be stiff so you should loosen up yourself as much as possible so your hands can move freely but in order ofcourse.

and the third and maybe one of the hardest part of playing a taqsim you should learn how to let your emotions out and put them in notes that could be happiness or sadness or love and so on however u feel at the moment you should easly be able to put those feelings into notes.

and that s how you play a taqsim.

PS: but your should never forget that playing a taqsim is not easy it takes a lot of experience and knowledge.

because basicly the taqsim you play is you what u feel and think at that moment and how professional you are and how good your technique is this are the important parts of playing a taqsim.

ofcourse at the end i am just one individual who thinks that i might be wrong or right it s up to you guys to decide.

i hope i could be some help take care
Hagop
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 10:55 PM

Hey Sammy,

Seems like you have a problem with creating the vibrato. Also, if you're getting stuck while playing taksim, the only way to counter this is more study of the scales. This is something that comes with diligence and much practice. To create the vibrato, I slightly loosen my thumb's grip on the neck in order to allow myself some freedom to slide my hand quickly. You must be sure that when trying to create this sound, your finger slides on the string without pushing it vertically. You finger should only move laterally with the string, so the tone is not distorted. The movement really comes from elements of your wrist and forearm. You can control the wavelength and frequency of the vibrato based on the velocity and concentration of your finger's movement.

Here is a video of john bilezikjian playing a saz-semai with ample embellishment, including plenty of vibrato. its a different angle, but watch his hand. I know its a saz-semai but you can apply the same stuff. After all, saz-semai is a roadmap to taksim.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JUbDxEbIzWE

Ya this sounds confusing but I really hope it helps, keep at it bro.
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 2-28-2007 at 05:16 AM

I do not know Oudplayer if, after watching this rendition of Husseyni Tatyos, you are still alife. But me, it killed me. Thank you Hagop. It is very encouraging.....a good example to be followed easily and happily.
Let us just imitate John Bilezjkian just as if we were drinking a glass of water, as simply as John Bilezjkian seems to do.

Anyhow i could see that his dumb finger was very loose, not grasping the fingerboard nervously and stressed as i do, so Oudplayer, let us both start by not holding the oud as if an imaginary criminal wanted to snach it out of us. Just enough to avoid it falls on the floor. Same for the risha.

Go To Top