Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Egyptian or Turkish? How can you tell?
Schlagsahne237
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

exclamation.gif posted on 2-26-2004 at 06:08 PM
Egyptian or Turkish? How can you tell?

I am looking to purchase an oud and a friend of mine has one. He says it's either Turkish or Egyptian, but doesn't know which. Is there a difference between the two that would be major for the purposes of buying strings, etc? What are the differences in these two varieties of oud? Thanks!
Al Billings
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-26-2004 at 08:47 PM

Turkish ouds are smaller than Arabic ouds, with shorter scales and higher tuning. If the main sound hole on the oud is approx. 3.5 inches in diameter, it's most likely Turkish. If the sound hole is 4 inches or more in diameter, it's probably Arabic. This information was given to me long ago by Peter Kyvelos.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 2-27-2004 at 08:31 AM

While the sound hole size is a clue, there are other characteristics that identify the differences. Generally the Turkish ouds have a string length around 22 inches, while Arabic ouds are around 24 inches. This can vary all over the place. Size is not the only aspect, as I have an old od that has a label in Arabic, but it is small, with a string length of 22 1/2 in. Decoration is another difference. Turkish ouds are generally simple, with usually 19-21 ribs in the back, and a simple trim around the edge of the face and sound holes. Arabic ouds often have fewer ribs (13-17), but are often decorated with inlay. The face edge is often tiled or trimmed with laminations of many small pieces of contrasting woods. Many Arabic ouds are inlaid almost everywhere. The sound of these ouds also differ due to their size and construction, so Turckish ouds are brighter in the high registers, and Arabic ouds are deeper in the lower end. The label can be misleading unless you can read the script, as both Turkish and Arabic ouds often use Arabic script. Arabic ouds seldom include English script, while some modern Turkish ouds do. Perhaps you could post a picture and allow our panel of "experts" cto omment on it's origin.

wfspark
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud entranced!

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 11:33 PM
Typical Turkish oud tuning.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Oud
While the sound hole size is a clue, there are other characteristics that identify the differences. Generally the Turkish ouds have a string length around 22 inches, while Arabic ouds are around 24 inches. This can vary all over the place. Size is not the only aspect, as I have an old od that has a label in Arabic, but it is small, with a string length of 22 1/2 in. Decoration is another difference. Turkish ouds are generally simple, with usually 19-21 ribs in the back, and a simple trim around the edge of the face and sound holes. Arabic ouds often have fewer ribs (13-17), but are often decorated with inlay. The face edge is often tiled or trimmed with laminations of many small pieces of contrasting woods. Many Arabic ouds are inlaid almost everywhere. The sound of these ouds also differ due to their size and construction, so Turckish ouds are brighter in the high registers, and Arabic ouds are deeper in the lower end. The label can be misleading unless you can read the script, as both Turkish and Arabic ouds often use Arabic script. Arabic ouds seldom include English script, while some modern Turkish ouds do. Perhaps you could post a picture and allow our panel of "experts" cto omment on it's origin.
Hello. What is the typical Turkish oud tuning? I know it is usually higher in pitch, but that's about all. Thanks.

William F. Sparks
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 05:48 AM

Dear friend,
The usuall turkish tunning is D A E B A E for high to low,
but there are many variations of the tunnings,basecally on the three bass strings,I personally use the D A E B F# E,and the same with my Syrian type oud but with a tone lower C G D A E D,but this what I personally like and I am used to it...
Regards
Spyros:wavey:

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-12-2004 at 06:25 PM

Hi

How about the unfinish sound board on the Turkish Oud? Traditionally but now some new generation of Turkish oud maker try to finish the sound board with laquer etc. also seen some loads of MOP inlaid all over the finger board and heavy decoration around the sound hole (without loosing the Turkish style trademark though)

Salam
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zulkarnain
Hi

How about the unfinish sound board on the Turkish Oud? Traditionally but now some new generation of Turkish oud maker try to finish the sound board with laquer etc. also seen some loads of MOP inlaid all over the finger board and heavy decoration around the sound hole (without loosing the Turkish style trademark though)

Salam

Like this .

Best wishes

Ronny
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 01:06 PM

dear worthies -

i read all of the above but what makes a syrian oud different from turkish and egyptian?

are those the three major classifications of ouds?

is there such a thing as an "andalusian" oud?

do you think we'll ever see a "nashville" oud or a "manhattan" oud?

(it might not seem that way at times but...)sincerely yours - bill
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 5-11-2004 at 05:14 PM
Oud types

Bill,
actually you left out the Iraqi style ouds. Check out the pictures I posted recently on the shared files gallery.

But I think a great place to see and compare the different types of ouds is on Dimitri's (oud maker Dimitri Rapakoussios) web site, where you can see the Syrian ouds next to the Turkish, Iraqis etc. I think a few pictures are worth a thousand words.

Aren't they all beautiful though !

Spyros C.

Go To Top