Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Irish music with oud
Orahim1
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 07:25 PM
Irish music with oud

Maybe you guys and girls have already seen this, but I was watching PBS last night and caught the ending part of a concert in Spain by Loreena McKennitt. It was Irsih music, but some songs had a Middle Eastern flavor. There were quite a few musicians on stage playing many instruments (Hurdy Gurdy, Irish Bouzouki, etc.), and there were also two oudists in the band. I checked her website and noticed she's playing here in the States in May. I might have to check it out live! Here's a clip from Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6V4kzM5Yos
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 08:10 PM

hey orahim
very nice she has a lovly voice and music is great
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-8-2007 at 01:05 AM

Haig Yazidjian on oud, Socrates Sinopoulos on politiki lyra/klassik kemençe, the other oud I'm not sure of....he's playing with a guitar pick so I'm taking it he's the irish bouzouki player........
kasos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-8-2007 at 07:50 AM

Loreena McKennitt is originally from a small town (about 5000 people) called Morden in the Province of Manitoba, Canada (I live in a community of about the same size, in the same Province, though not in Morden itself). I'm just thrilled with the new directions her music is taking, and to be seeing her use a whole new range of instruments, including the kemence and the oud, instruments of which I've become very fond of in the past few years as well. I had the pleasure of hearing her in person at a small venue very early in her career (early 1980's) when she did folk festivals, etc.. For that
Mark
kasos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-8-2007 at 07:53 AM

Sorry, I accidentally clicked the post button. Just to finish the sentence ....for that concert, she was acompanied by only a singer- guitarist, but took turns herself playing piano, Irish harp and mandolin as well as doing the lead vocals.

Mark
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 3-8-2007 at 08:13 AM

What it is curious is the choice of the place to perform.

Nothing to do with the music, but the scenario is the horrible Carlos V palace, built after destroying fantastic palaces built by the previous "regime" the Nasride dynasty.
Really this Carlos V palace is very ugly, raw, inside the wonderful complex of the Alhambra.

What you see first in the clip is the thousand years old borough of El Albayzin.
The best place on earth to live.

Hope one day good concerts will be filmed inside the Alhambra itself (inside the Nasride palaces or gardens).

There is a nice open air theater in the upper bigger gardens of El Generalife.
But still it would be marvelous to film oud playing inside the Alhambra Nasride Palaces.

You will understand better what i mean looking at this naturalist painting showing the distress and overwhelming sadness of last Nasrid Sultan Boabdil's family obliged to leave their home (Alhambra palace) for exile.

Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-10-2007 at 05:16 AM

thats a nice tune actually, thanks for posting.

Go To Top