Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need Help!
Toasty_Lainey
Oud Admirer

Mood: Wipee! Excited!

[*] posted on 2-29-2004 at 02:53 PM
Need Help!

I know I am in the wrong Forum for this so forgive me... I posted a notice under the Maintence Forum, but I wanted to grab some memebers who maybe don't always go to that area. I was given an Oud and I don't know a THING about them...at all...never even seen one before in my life before this one. I am a music teacher and want to restore it and learn to play but I think it is missing a piece...and it has no strings on it...so I don't know if it will play or not?? HMMMM...the piece that I think is missing is a little horizontal piece at the top of the neck...it seems there should be something there for the strings to rest on...I will attach a picture. If I am right..where in the world do I get that piece to fix it? I live in Tulsa, Ok and I doubt I will find anyone localy to do it for me! Also...can anyone tell me what type it is? I posted two more pictures of it under the maintenace forum under "HELP" if anyone wouldn't mind taking a look. I am quickly become an Oud lover...it is catchy! Well, thank you for any advice on the piece or any advice on how I should tune it once I get strings??? It is a ten string I suppose by looking at it. Thanks again!:))
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-29-2004 at 03:35 PM

You need a nut. It also looks like you need a fingerboard. You may be able to find a person who makes guitars (or better, lutes) that could make a nut for you. If you are handy with woodoworking , you could get Richard Hankey's book on oud repair (http://www.droud.com) and do it yourself.
Good luck....

Toasty_Lainey
Oud Admirer

Mood: Wipee! Excited!

[*] posted on 2-29-2004 at 03:40 PM
Hmmmmm

what is a fingerboard? Thank you on the advice...at least I know what that little piece is called...I think I know of a luthier now that I think of it..I will ask him...and I wish I was handy with woodwork? Does it matter with the nut that it is a ten string not an eleven? Please excuse the fact that I know NOTHING! :shrug:
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 2-29-2004 at 10:24 PM

Welcome to the posts, Toasty.

For the fingerboard, think of it like this. On a guitar, the place where all the frets are is where the fingerboard is. It's literally the board where you put your fingers (smart guys who came up with the name :D ). The fingerboard is placed on top of the bare wooden piece that you have there (found on the bottom of this picture).

A nut is also needed, and that can also be seen on a guitar. Like Jameelo over there said, you can probably find a guitar maker who can make one for you. I'm sure in Tulsa, there are many guitar stores.

As far as how many strings it is, that's variable from each oud. Some have 10, 11, 12, I've seen some with 13, and I believe 14 exists as well. For this oud, all you can have is 10, so I think it'd be your best bet to get a nut that fits snuggly with all 10 strings and not anymore.

If you have any questions, feel free to post.

TP21

P.S. The book recommended above by Richard Hankey, from what I hear, is a wonderful book and walks you through how to make the whole oud. Maybe you'd feel more satisfied making the nut yourself. If not, go for the guitar stores, man.

David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-1-2004 at 12:12 AM

Hi T_L

Once you get the oud up and running, you can find some basic info about stringing and tuning it on my website at:

http://website.lineone.net/~david.parfitt/basics.html

Good luck

David

Go To Top