Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud tailpiece
tylertaydog
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-24-2007 at 07:47 AM
Oud tailpiece

Hi,
Apologies for not replying to people but I'm having problems with my computer. I can't supply photos of the hybrid monster just yet but I bought it off the following Ebay link. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UD-OR-ARABIC-LUTE-PROJECT_W0QQitemZ1100980752...
I'm not sure if you can still view after this time but as soon as I'm sorted out I'll try and post some pictures. Having looked closer I think the fret board has been glued on top of the original, if a Ude neck is normally level with the face it must be. Sorry if I'm a little vague I'm not up with all the terminology yet.
Thanks for everyones interest,
I'll be back,
Roger
tylertaydog
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 04:29 AM

Hi,
I'm getting the hang of the site now. You can follow the link to the original Ebay page to view photos of the Oud. Just to say I very gently prised off the fretted finger board and lo and behold underneath is the original board and nut, I wondered why it had two nuts, one above the other. The one was glued to the fret board. All I need to do now is make a new tailpiece for the strings to tie on, can anyone please give me an idea of the measurement of the holes for the strings to go through from the bottom of the tailpiece. Also would mahogany be OK for this.
Thanks,
Roger.
tylertaydog
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 06:31 AM

Hi,
Sorry to bother you people but I'm desperate. I've got a violin maker who will make a tailpiece for the Oud but I have no idea of the distances between strings etc. I know that the strings should be 3mm. above the neck where it joins the body but I'm just guessing on dimensions of the tailpiece.
Can anyone help?
Roger.

Go To Top