Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sheet Music Archive
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 12:10 AM
Sheet Music Archive

http://www.issaboulos.com/archive/index.php

For the last couple of years, in our spare time, Issa Boulos and I have been trying to create a sheet music archive - basically a place that contains 1000's of scores of middle musical tradition. I'm not naming any names, but recently, a member on this forum listed the link before we got a chance to (her name is Marina, she is one of the few women on this forum, and she plays Kamil Mwez oud :D - I'm not mad, I'm just curious how you got it :D ) . The irony was I was about publicize the link the day before Marina did - we decided to go public due to the interest the in Inta Umri score, even though our archive is not fully ready. However, it does contain about 300 scores. It is still in "development mode" and some queries will not yield results.

Tips for searching

(1) Do not pick too many search criterias at the same time - pick 1 or 2 (if the combination makes sense). This something we need to redesign.

(2) You'll need Adobe Reader or an equivelent application

(3) Be patient, search either composer, maqam, region, genre, etc. You'll find lots of good stuff

Please post your feedback here so we can make improvement to it in the next few months. Just take it easy on us, this is still in development. If anyone is skilled in html, web programming, wants to contribute scores, and wants to help us with it , please let me know. . . .

Thanks,
Sam
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 01:31 AM

Great initiative guys, Bravo!

You did what AlHalabi was suggesting in a post last week in terms of makams, composers, regions and genres criteria search. We were discussing this idea without knowing that someone already did it.
Now that "WE" have it, thanks to you, I believe that all efforts should be concentrated on your project, it is better to have one complete source instead of ressources spread over the net.
The problem is that if we all start to contribute it could be cahotic and difficult to sort and manage from your side.
May be you should fix rules on what you need, which format and resolution....
So now that it's public, what next?
Bravo again
samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 02:03 AM

Alami, thanks for your feedback. That is encouraging . ..

Actually, there is a back-end "admin" side to the archive, where someone with proper rights can go and upload, and categorize the score with the composer, maqam, region, title of the piece, etc and enter it in the archive. Issa and I were thinking that a handful of trusted people around the world would get access to this. This way the archive would grow quickly, instead of 100's, maybe 1000 - 2000 pieces . . .

I'm on my way to Amman, Ramallah, and Cairo next week for 3 weeks (Im so excited :bounce:). But when I get back, I will take all the feedback and improve the archive . . .
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 03:04 AM

Sam,

This is fantastic. Let me be one of the first to sincerely thank you and Issa Boulos for the great concept and all the hard work you have done to get it up to this quite advanced stage.

I believe this could become the pre-eminent site for sourcing middle-eastern scores.

Have you considered including midi files, or some other type of notation interchange format? It sure would help with transposing for different instruments.
If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Regards,

Greg
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 05:40 AM

Bravo! this is trully a great accomplishement.
I wish you all the best with the project.
And you guys are definetly on the right track.
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 06:10 AM

Samzayed, you have created the foundation for what will become the leading online source for Middle Eastern sheet music. Congratulations! You will have our support and input as you build the collection and refine the design. Good luck.
Butrous
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 03:50 PM

Another great foundation for Middle Eastern music scores/sheet music is found at:

http://www.alsiadi.com

Go to: Music Scores

Click: Aleppian Wasla or Music Scores

All scores are in Sibilius and will play the Aleppian microtone online if you have the appropriate hardware, high speed internet connection and sound card. In order to hear the microtone play you need the appropriate sound card. If you have a problem hearing a clear definitive microtone, post a question on the alsiadi.com Forum. Mr. Alsiadi will post a reponse so all can see.
samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 09:04 PM

Thanks for the kind praises. Please, feel free to post constructive criticism. Tell me what's annoying about the application. Also, I'd really like this to become an "open source" project in the next few months. I think if some key members posted (as admins) or at least forwarded their scans or pdf's of sheets to us, this thing will become so comprehensive.
Our goal is to preserve the Eastern Musical Tradition :)

Greg, Im not familiar with using midi files with notation software. Issa probably does, I'll ask him. We are considering having sound files too in the future, but at a later phase. The Sibelius plug-in seems like a way to go. I am more familiar with Finale - I wonder if they have something similar.

That's a nice collection of music at http://www.asiadi.com. I especially liked the Sibelius plug-in. The playback feature was really cool, but Im not sure why not all the scores had the print button. Sometime in the future, I would like to contact Mr. Alsiadi to see if he'd like to consolidate our efforts.
Butrous
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-28-2007 at 03:48 PM

Abdul Rahim Alsiadi is a performer, music educator and conductor. He studied with Nadim Al Darwish, the son of Sheik Ali Al Darwish, for many years. He is a direct link to the musical legacy of the Sheik Ali Al Darwish family.

Mr. Alsiadi's goal is not to create a Middle Eastern Music archive on his Music Scores page. Issa Boulos and Sam Zayed are making a tremendous contribution with their project. Their work is very important and necessary.

The primary goal of Mr. Alsiadi's Music Scores page is to develop a teaching and learning tool for beginning and intermediate students that either have a problem reading music notation and/or are unfamiliar with the sound of the microtone in Aleppian style maqammat. As such, printing is currently not a standard feature.

The Sibelius music score with the Scorch plug-in allows the student to slow down or speed up the tempo. This is perfect for the solfege student that wants to vocalize the music before playing their instrument. The student can also transpose a piece to any "key" while maintaining the relative intervals of the maqam. This is great for singers that want to practice singing in a more comfortable "key".

This goal of providing a teaching and learning tool will be achieved through the Aleppian Wasla. The Wasla is a suite of various vocal and instrumental genre from simple to very difficult By utilizing the Wasla's genre, students can progressively expand their knowledge and repertoire, while at the same time preserve the tradition of the Aleppian Wasla for future generations.
fhalaw
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 06:02 AM

Hello,

Excellent source, thanks a bunch. However, my ability to read music is ok but not excellent, (since I taught myself by ear) so its hard for me to play just from a sheet, it would be great if you link these sheets to the respective mp3 pieces.

On that note, does anyone have the Longa Nahawand mp3 by marcel khalifa which the music sheet is for at the archive??

http://www.issaboulos.com/archive/scores/Lungha-Nahawand-Marsil.pdf

I dont think it is the same as his 'concerto andalus' (i think thats the name),

Many thanks,

Fadi
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 06:45 AM

Hi Fadi. Welcome to the forums :)

Longa Nahawand by Marcel is not the same as the one in Concerto Al Andalus. I would love to have it if someone can provide it, since I didn't find it. My friend had it once on a tape but lost it. I've never heard the Samai.. I only played it reading the music sheet. I imagine it would sound great if Marcel is playing it.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide it.

Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 06:53 AM

And btw.. I would definitely recommend Samai Bayat by Marcel.
http://www.issaboulos.com/archive/scores/Samai-Bayati-Marsil.pdf

It's one of the best Samais I've ever listened to. If someone is interested in its recording I could email it.

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 7-17-2009 at 04:24 AM

Thank you so much! I have several students who are most interested in the Arabic school and theory of oud, and I was having trouble finding online sources for scores.

This is a great help, thank you!

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
msimon
Oud Maniac

Mood: Rast

[*] posted on 7-17-2009 at 03:14 PM

If it is not a problem, I would love to hear it, Reda!! Samai is one of my favorite maqamat!
Thanks,
MS
:airguitar:
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-17-2009 at 08:37 PM

I sent you an email msimon.
Enjoy it!

Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-17-2009 at 08:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Reda Aouad  
Enjoy it!

msimon.. I sent an email to the address listed in your profile and just received a delivery failure notification.

msimon
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-17-2009 at 09:02 PM

Hmm... that has never happened before. try sending it to msimon785@gmail.com.
Thanks though,
MS
msimon
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 02:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Reda Aouad  
Enjoy it!
Wow! That was really great. I especially loved how they played with every string, playing at some parts not much more than the scale itself. I will ask my teacher to teach it to me ASAP!!
Thanks,
MS
fhalaw
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 02:17 PM

could I have it please?

Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 02:27 PM

Sure ! But only if you give me ur email address !

Cocomaan
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-16-2010 at 06:32 AM

Is there anything I can do to help with this project? Other than giving money?
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2010 at 12:53 AM

Hi,

Many thanks to you, sam. That's really great job you have done there. I learned alot from it.

Guys, Any body has "Longa Yorgo" music sheet? it will really appreciated if you post it here or send to my email:
dubai244@hotmail.com

Thanks
alim
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2010 at 12:47 PM

Attached is the notation from the Jabakji book. The recording is by Jabakji himself.

Also these lesson are good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn81sdJ11oM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZwDL4GviF4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu49iCKAx2c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpZnlPB3CjM&feature=related

Cheers,

Ali-

Longa_Yorgo.jpg - 159kB

Attachment: F13_b-Lounag_Yourgo.mp3 (683kB)
This file has been downloaded 343 times
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 02:57 AM

Alim,

Thank you very much. I already saw these videos before.

Thanks posting the notes and the Mp3. I really appreciated

Thanks
bibo10
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 11:50 AM

Hey Sam,
I have the music sheet for "Ya ward ala fol weyasmen" for Sayed Darwish. I didn't find it on the archive, can I send it to you?

+++++++++++
Michael-GOD BLESS EGYPT
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top