Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Greek stuff
nouphar
Oud Maniac

Mood: No mood

[*] posted on 3-28-2007 at 02:10 PM
Greek stuff

Hi guys, I'd like to know where to find greek stuff to practice with oud/cumbus. My instruments are a Haluk Eraydin's OUD3 tuned DGBEAD. I also play a standard cumbus, now it's tuned ADEADG.

Up to now I've just collected dromoi from websites devoted to bouzouki and tried to play them, but after some months practicing I feel I haven't reached greek flavour yet. Any clues?

Well, I have some examples of outi playing and just one of cumbus in Greek Music, but I'd like to find more.

Greetings from Spain.
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 3-28-2007 at 10:03 PM

Hi Nouphar,
Where did you find your greek stuff so far, do you have any internet site where you can find that?
Thanks
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 01:38 AM
Greek Oud Book

I don't know if this is any help to you, but I have a duplicate spare never used copy of the Greek Classic Oud Method "To Outi" by Kyriakos Kalaitzidis that has a whole bunch of traditional old Greek Oud songs.

Note, however, that he uses the Turkish notation as well as the ancient Byzantine notation.

If you're interested send me a U2U

Spyros C.
jazzchiss
Oud Junkie

Mood: Improvising

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 03:21 AM

Hola Nouphar, yo también 'estoy frigio'.

¿Dónde paras?

Alguien mencionó en este foro esta página http://www.cave31.com/trichordo/trichordo.htm que me parece muy útil.

Saludos.

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 12:04 PM

Hola Nouphar,

If you're looking for Greek folk and urban recordings with oud, you should check the following artists as a start. They either play oud or are singers that have often featured oud in their songs:

Agapios Tompoulis (usually with Antonis Dalgas, Roza Eskenazi, Rita Ampatzi, etc)

Marko Melkon

Kyriakos Kalaitzidis (En Chordais)

Antonis Apergis

Kariofyllis Doitsidis

Nikos & Yiasemi Saragoudas

Xronis Aidonidis

Ksanthippi Karathanasi

Domna Samiou

Pantelis Thalassinos

Nikos Papazoglou

Hristos Tsiamoulis (Dunamis tou Aigaiou)

Thomas Konstantinou (Takim)

There are many more but I can't think of them now. Sheet music for folk music is all around, not specifically for oud usually, but oud is a common part of folk/urban music of Asia Minor (modern Turkey), Thrace, Makedonia, and many of the Eastern Islands (i.e. Chios, Lesvos).

Hope this helps,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 12:37 PM

Hola Nouphar,

La tienda "Studio 52" en Thessaloniki: http://www.studio52.gr/ (Nunca he comprado on-line, pero visite a la tienda en 2003. Buena coleccion!)

Si visitares a Grecia (y yo lo recomiendo altamente!), usted puede encontrar buenos ejemplos en la tienda "En Chordais" en Thessaloniki: http://www.medimuses.gr/english.html

Tambien, hay las tiendas de musica "Metropolis" con coleccion bastante bien. Yo encontre a un CD de Nikos Saragoudas en la Metropolis en el aeropuerto de Atenas!

Yo he comprado muchas grabaciones de musica tradicional Media-Oriental en Grecia y Israel. En las tiendas alla, es muy importante a explicar claramente que prefieres musica tradicional, y, mejor., hablar de instrumentos specificos ("outi," "cumbus," "kanonaki"...).

Buena suerte,
Udi John
nouphar
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 02:38 PM

Thank you very much guys for your replies.

Benjamin, here are two examples of what I was referring to,

Anisixo from Notis Sfakianakis (cumbus playing)

and Agali-Agali sung by Giota Vei (outi playing). This last tune was from today's Bulgarian Thrace I think. It's a bride's song. Is this tune also used for burials? It sounds also sad to me.

Geia sou Spyro, efxarhstw poly for your offer. By now I'm not interested but if so I will send you a U2U.

Hola Jazzchiss, ese link es de un conocido mío de otro foro. Alex es tocador de tzoura y sabe una barbaridad de escalas y modos. Esa página ha sido uno de mis pilares hasta el momento, pero lo que me falta es obtener el "sabor griego", ya que todos mis taksims, el que más y el que menos, suenan árabes, lo cual no es que sea malo (la música arábigo andaluza me gusta mucho), pero me gustaría profundizar en la música griega.

Geia sou Mavrothi, I already know some of the great artists you've enlisted above. Agapios Tompoulis, Ksanthippi Karathanasi and Xristos Tsiamoulis. I've got a song from Karathanasi but no outi/tzoumpous are played. Tsiamoulis appear in recordings about Ottoman Music and in Politiki Kouzina soundtrack. Efxarhstw poly.

By the way, is this Tompoulis playing a cumbus in a Ntalgas' song? Xisou Gero...

Hey John, thank you for those clues. A recording in which oud appears broadly is in "Primavera en Saloniko", a Savina Yannatou's work which I'm sure you already know.

Best wishes.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-30-2007 at 05:44 AM

Hey,

Yes, I was actually just listening to this song yesterday, and noticed the cumbus sound. I've seen pictures of him with a cumbus like instrument, but that was made of wood. He apparently had a huge collection of ouds...I wonder what happened to them...

:)

Enjoy,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
kasioti
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-25-2007 at 05:44 PM
greek stuff

Here is another great CD. The singing is with a choir which kind of overwhelms the instrumentation at points, but the oud playing is wonderful.

Here's the link to it:
http://www.cretanmusic.gr/index.php?file=releases&specific=423

The taksimia in the beginning are very beautiful. The Santoor and bouzouki is great in the CD as well. The singing is too.

~ Mixali
nouphar
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 03:21 PM
Geia sou Mixali

Geia sou Mixali, efxarhstw.

Go To Top