Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need advice on buying my first oud!
Alex
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 01:38 AM
Need advice on buying my first oud!

Hello, I am new to this forum and it seems like a nice community of people on here that know what they are talking about. ;)

I am interested in buying my first oud, but I don't know what kind to get or a reliable place to get them from.
I would like to get a nice one that isn't cheap quality, but also one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg either. I was looking at the websites larkinthemorning.com and mid-east.com and they seemed alright from what I saw. I would like a few opinions before I commit to buying one. My spending limit about $500-$600 bucks at max.
I would like to hear what the difference is between the Turkish,Syrian,Iraqi and Egyptian ouds. If someone would be willing to post a link of these different sounding ouds, I would be grateful so I can get an idea of what tonality I am looking for. I have heard the Syrian,Iraqi/Bachir and Turksih oud sound but I haven't compared them enough to make a decision. I liked the Syrian and Iraqi sounding ones because of there lower in pitch. The Turkish one had a little too bright of a tone for me from the clip i heard.

The primary instruments I play are guitar,keyboard and chinese pipa. The oud has a great sound and I would love to pick it up for my next instrument to start playing. Any advice would be helpful. :D
-Alex-
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 04:14 AM

Alex, welcome to the forums.
The questions you ask have been asked and answered many times in these forums, over the past few years.
There are also many posts with sound attached and, in most instances, it is not difficult to ascertain the type of instrument used. Please use the "Search" capability of the forums and all will be revealed.
Good luck.

Regards,

Greg
michoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mooud again..

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 07:02 AM

Welcome to the forums!!:xtreme::xtreme:
nouphar
Oud Maniac

Mood: No mood

[*] posted on 4-30-2007 at 03:06 AM

I would recommend a Haluk Eraydin oud. Haluk makes good quality instruments. He's a great person to deal with.

Welcome!

Raul.

MARTAN
Oud Addict

Mood: LOOKING FOR NEW HORZIONS

[*] posted on 4-30-2007 at 04:25 AM
welcome to the forum

I can only repeat what Greg has said before me.
If you you want to go with the Turkish way,when you have finaly come to the choice of oud ,which is no so easy
I CAN ONLY RECOMMEND Haluk Eraydin .I hvae been extreamly happy with my purchase from him,and he has models :airguitar:within your price range.

Basicly you have to decide what sound you will be happy with EAST OR WEST.
Good luck and happy playing which ever you decide.
Peace be with you
Martin::airguitar:

Go To Top