Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buying on spec in Turkey - current situation
pirsultan
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-22-2007 at 12:14 AM
Buying on spec in Turkey - current situation

Hi
Just wondering what the current situation is in Turkey with buying good uds on spec? Ok, let us say for example a Türünz ud. I've never played one, but watching this forum suggests these are very fine instruments and sought after. Do they need to be ordered or are they generally available off the shelf?
I'm planning a short trip (possibly) later this year. I have been to Turkey about 10 times (between 1982 to 2002- its a bit of an odyssey from Australia :() and have bought many instruments on spec including some very nice bağlama-s and a couple of decent (if not exceptional) uds. However there seems to be much more interest these days (I never saw another non-Turk in any of the shops in Tünel or Şehzadebaşı during my numerous visits).
I will probably be able to muster together enough to buy one decent instrument - either a top quality kısa sap bağlama (my main interest) or a high quality ud (an old passion recently re-ignited by seeing some great players her in Oz). So I'm just wondering of those who have visted Istanbul in the last five years or so whether good instruments are readily found. I would alway visit old friends in Tünel and Okmeydanı but wondering if it worth the trip to Kadıköy to look at Türünz and Ramazan Calay.
Any recent experience and info would be gratefully appreciated.
thanks
Paul
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 4-22-2007 at 02:27 AM

Mustafa Copaloglu has a 2 month wait time for new instruments, as does Turhan Demirel. They typically don't have off-the-shelf instruments that you'd want to buy. Ramazan Calay has a 15 month (!) wait time for new instruments (but, they're worth it in my opinion). The best way to purchase from any of them is to get specifications and a deposit to them and then come back to pick up the instrument. Plan on them being done a bit late.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
on soundcloud
on myspace
my homepage
Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-22-2007 at 05:08 AM

Paul,
I was in Tünel and Unkapanı in 2005, and visited the shops.

I am quite sure, that Faruk Turunz does not sell instruments off the shelf, at least Idon't think he does. You might be lucky. BUT for instruments of this grade, i think you need to order from the maker.

The only maker I can think of is one that was mentioned in a previous post, Saadetin Sandi, at Cankaya Muzik Evi. They have branches in Tünel and Unkapanı, and have many many of their ouds on sale off the shelf. You have to play through them though, I played some that had higher action than others, so you've got to just go through them and pick out the corker.

Paul, what you know about Yilmaz Music and their baglamas? I've had good quotes, have you dealt with them?

regards,
pad
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 4-22-2007 at 09:48 AM

Hey elliot, what sort of price does a pro oud from Mustafa Copaloglu go for - I'm after a new oud this year and have heard his ouds described as a 'force of nature'. How can I contact him, I've emailed a while back but no answer.

Best wishes

Leon
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 4-22-2007 at 10:33 AM

Copaloglu or Mustafa Copcuoglu ? (http://www.mustafacopcuoglu.com/)

And if it is Copaloglu can you give more informations?
eliot
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-22-2007 at 03:19 PM

Sorry - MUSTAFA COPÇUOĞLU is the correct spelling. I've never been particularly good with spelling, and unfortunately oud makers haven't quite made it into the default Firefox spell checker... :shrug:

I was at his shop last week - student model ouds are $1000, and then there are 2 levels up from that - $1500 and $2000. I believe these prices are public knowledge and not a one-time deal or anything. I have to say I was not impressed by the student level oud I played there (the action was ok but there was no bass or low midrange projection at all), but for a couple months I played one of the top-quality ones made in 2003 that was really quite nice. Heavy (ebony and rosewood), but very nice.

The one thing that continues to irk me about his instruments is his unashamed use of tortoise shell and endangered African woods. Some people may not care about this, but it is an issue for me. There are so many quality abundant woods in Anatolia - pear, apple, mulberry, walnut, for starters - that produce excellent ouds I see no compelling reason to go "exotic." But that's my pet peeve.

For those looking for his details:

Work Tel:
+90 ( 216 ) 414 32 72

Cell phone:
+90 (533) 578 45 94

Osmanağa Mah. Pavlonya Sok.
Nuhoğlu İş Hanı No:10/5
Kadıköy/İstanbul

on soundcloud
on myspace
my homepage
pirsultan
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-22-2007 at 05:49 PM

Paddy
I sent a U2U regarding Yilmaz Music and various places I've bought stuff from in Istanbul.
Paul
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-22-2007 at 10:23 PM

I must admit I agree somewhat with Elliot regarding woods. I'm having a guitar made for me at the moment which will be London Plane back and sides and Ceder of Lebanon neck, and they sound fantastic.

Leon
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 4-23-2007 at 06:37 AM

isnt lebanon cedar forbiden to even cut anymore? as far as I know it is...
but anyways once its cut then it should be used for the most beutifull thing we can do with it and thats musical instruments. I find it a shame to sit on a chair made of verry nice and rare wood that could have produced a few oud with the same amount... oh well I guess thats why people hunt down old broken pianos and furniture recycling them into instruments is not a bad idea at all.
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-23-2007 at 06:58 AM

Yeah Samir you're right, I feel anxious evrytime I hear that something is made of Lebanon Cedar wood, it is true that now, and finally, it is forbidden to cut cedar trees (1 year in jail and 5000 $) but the law enforcement is not very serious (like many things in this country).
A few years ago an australian bacteria hit the old forest of cedars and killed half of the trees including 3 of the oldest cedars (the Lamartine one is dead and was turned into a hideous modern sculpture by an artist) it resulted in a huge legal stock that was sold, it is also legal to sell fallen branches, so let's hope that luthiers would only buy legal stock.
A lebanese oudmaker told me that he likes cedar for the soundboard and that it sounds clear and very precise but the problem with cedar wood is that your oud will not age and mature in your lifetime

(and sorry for this topic-modulation)
eliot
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-23-2007 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SamirCanada
but anyways once its cut then it should be used for the most beutifull thing we can do with it and thats musical instruments. I find it a shame to sit on a chair made of verry nice and rare wood that could have produced a few oud with the same amount...

While I agree with you I'd much rather see beautiful woods used for purposes that bring music into the world, there' one 'lil problem - while there is still the desire for these endangered products, people will cut them (trees) or poach them (tortoises) - because there is a viable market for it. The market (black market and public market) needs to stop existing for products made of newly harvested endangered materials before the trees/tortoises/etc. will be able to recover.

Tortoise shell does not make a better pick-guard, anyway.

Quote:
oh well I guess thats why people hunt down old broken pianos and furniture recycling them into instruments is not a bad idea at all.

I for one would support Turkish instrument makers who certified that they were using recycled wood - "cruelty free" ouds or something ridiculous like that...

on soundcloud
on myspace
my homepage
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-23-2007 at 11:12 PM

Just to clarify begore I cause a storm - the Ceder of Lebanon neck is from a 'recycled' piece of wood, the London Plane was salvaged and planked from storm damaged trees in Vauxhall, London. This recycling seems to be common practice amongst some luthiers, it seems there is a fair bit of really good aged timber out there already, a good eye and resourcefulness always helps.

Cheers

Leon
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-24-2007 at 01:57 PM

Ok Ararat your case will not be reported to the security council, good luck with your new guitar

Speaking of "natural" legal ressources, I am haunted by an old cedar trunk in a region where I go hiking, this trunk is probably laying there since the 1860s when a big landslide happened, this wood is drying on 1600 m altitude since a century and a half and the tree looks big , could be a thousand year old lebanon cedar wood.

Yes....it is very tempting

Any expert ideas?
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-24-2007 at 02:12 PM

a crane?

Go To Top