Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Calculating Nylgut gauges
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-4-2004 at 05:09 AM
Calculating Nylgut gauges

I want to order a set of Nylguts, but don't want to wait for the pre-made sets to come out. (Plus, the scale on my oud is a bit short, so the gauges won't be right anyway). If anyone has experience in this regard, I'm all ears. Rufi, I'm hoping you can give a hand.

I'm using StringCalc, but having some problems.

Here is my info:

Tuning: (standard arabic)

c
f
a
d'
g'
c"

Preferred tension: 32-35

Scale length: 59cm

Jameel

P.S. Anyone know the difference between lute strings and standard nylon strings used on oud and classical guitar, among others?

TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 3-4-2004 at 11:59 AM

Jameel, I tune to the same thing and have a very similar question as well. I would like to know how you got your "preferred tension" as well as the scale length. Is the length from the bridge to the nut? Bridge to the peg? A bit larger than that? I'm interested in knowing this. Hopefully, once you answer those questions, and someone answers your questions, we'll all have a better understanding of just what we're looking for.

I'm looking forward to all of your replies.

TP21

aquila
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-4-2004 at 02:20 PM

Hello friends, I have just sent to Jameel in private mail my string formulas.
My suggestion is to calculate any string in equal tension; i.e. the same value of Kg for all the strings.
This is a good starting point for anyone.
About the wound strings: by string formula you can calculate all the strings expressed like nylgut, or gut and so also the bases, like 'equivalent gut/nylgut'. In other worlds this mean to obtain by the formula a theoric plain gut/nylgut string that have the same weight per meter of the wound string. i.e. the same tension. Unfortunately it is not possible to have a string formula for the nylon wound ones. At the same equivalent nylgut (i.e. that produce the same working tension) there are infinite ratios between the nylon core and the metal wire. If you put more metal you need less nylon and viceversa. In the first case the string will became more metallic in the sound, but if you increase the core and make thinner the wire the sound will became less metallic and dark. So, the right solution came out by pratical tests make on instruments; the best balance is question of personal taste..

Nylon lute strings are rectified while the oud and guitar ones are generally polished, rarely rectified. This is all!
Ciao (and hapologies about my english so poor...)
Mimmo
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-4-2004 at 03:40 PM

TP21,

I know what my preffered tension is because I know what the tensions are of the strings on my oud. Adnan Darwiche helped me determine this. If you are using regular strings (like dadarrio, pyramid) it shouldn't be diffucult to determine what the tension is. Dadarrios have the info on the envelope, but it is for Turkish ouds. (59cm length, turkish tuning) Adnan Darwiche (I met him on the Oud Message Board) helped me determine the strings for my oud, but he used a program called StringCalc that I could never figure out. Getting the density of the strings is the tricky part. It seems that if we want to use Nylgut, we are forced to buy a whole bunch of them and experiment. I don't know about you, but I can't replace a higher pitched string from the oud without taking the ones covering it off as well. Add to this the time it takes to stretch it in, and you're talking about weeks to determine which strings are best, plus the headache of restringing the oud for every change you want to make. I'd rather be playing or making ouds.

The scale length is measured from the front of the bridge to the front of the nut i.e. the part of the string that vibrates when plucked.

Ok. So Lute strings are rectified. Well, I'm using Dadarrio oud strings now, and they are rectified, and so are Labellas. I am in desperate need of new strings and would love to try the Nylguts, but it seems that it is a bit too mysterious for me.

Mimmo, thanks for the formulas. I'm no math whiz, so I'm afraid I'm out of luck!

Rufi, where are you??

Go To Top