Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: strings
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 08:03 AM
strings

Hey has anyone tried Galli strings? they have 3 oud sets.

I'm looking for a lighter tension set for my new oud. The oud feels overly tense at concert pitch; it feels 'normal' a whole step down (using regular Pyramid oud strings). Since I often play in larger ensembles, I need to be able to tune it comfortably to concert pitch.

I don't want to use the Aquilas at the moment. Anyone have other suggestions?

the string length is 61.12cm
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 01:25 PM

I feel the same way about most "Arabic" oud string sets. I've made full circle and gone back to Turkish sets for arabic tuning. Currently, Im using D'Addario - they seem lighter tension and do the job. I bet even the turkish LaBella may give similar results.

Good luck - finding the right strings for a new oud is a pain
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 02:41 PM

I was really close to carrying Galli Strings at the website, but their minimum order is outrageously high. Just couldnt swing it. Haven't tried them.

I have sitting on my desk a set of custom Savarez, with rectified nylons and copper-wounds (red copper, NOT silver plated). These are the strings that Adel Salameh uses. They sent the wrong dd course (its plain nylon---way thick) so I'm waiting to try this custom set I assembled. If it turns out nice, I'll be carrying these strings. They are Savarez's historical instrument strings---the equivalent of Pyramid Lute. Only difference is they will be less expensive. So I may be able to get custom sets for quite a bit less than Pyramids (which are overpriced, imo!)

I know you said you didnt want Aquila, but I have the Turkish C#F# set on three of my ouds (tuned CFAdgc) and they are great. The "light" Aquila set is actually still a bit tight. Mimmo has assembled some "super light" sets, but they arent as light as the Turkish sets. I think you should consider giving them a try. I love them.

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 05:14 PM

hey jameel

whast the differ between copper and silver
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 11:07 PM

Brian,

Emad (Sydney), who was once a regular contributor to these forums uses and likes Galli strings. Another friend of mine who plays Turkish oud also recommends them.

Regards,

Greg
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 11:38 PM

I never tried the strings but a couple weeks ago I tried a friend's risha/mizrab made by Galli and I really liked the material. the size and shape was way too weird but i would have an easy time shaping it methinks.

thanks for reminding me i must visit their website.

adam
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 4-29-2007 at 04:40 PM

Thanks guys.
I emailed Matthias, he has some suggestions for Pyramid Lute strings.

Jameel, I may try the aquilas sometime in the future on another oud, but it's too much trouble to try them out on an oud I want to be performing on.
They seemed to get 'dead' sounding very quickly, and also took a long time settling into a stable tuning. I hope the savarez set turns out nice, but I haven't had good luck with their guitar strings.

I was actually thinking about Labella, but I haven't liked their plain strings in the past.
Elias
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 08:30 AM

Hello guys,
Brian,
mmm...very strange about the aquilas....i use only them since almost 3 years now and i never met problem of "dead"sounding also after three months!!!....could you tell me wich kind of set was that?
....by the way the Aquila Light Set of strings(red copper wounds and nylgut trebles) has precisely the same tension of the Pyramid Lute strings...as they are lute strings....
Now Mimmo produce aslo this Light set with the "varnished" wounds...in order to avoid plucking noises
of the rishas....and following what i am testing on my ouds they seems to have also a longer life...being varnished....:wavey:

salamat
elias

Go To Top