Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Oud Videos
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-6-2004 at 08:58 AM
New Oud Videos

Hey Everybody,

Check out three new Oud Videos from our trip to Egypt. These were filmed during an incredible day we spent with Maurice Shehata. He took us to visit Usstaz Mohamad Andil first, who was a great friend of his father, Farouk. Then we went and visited Mr. Ahmad Fathi, an amazing Yemeni oud player, in his home in Cairo. Later that night (or morning I should say) we were lucky enough to meet and film Mr. Mamdouh el-Gebaly in his office. Mr. Gebaly is an oud player for the Cairo Orchestra, and he has been featured on the MP3 page here before. While we were there another surprise occurred when his good friend Mr. Modathir Abul Wafa knocked on the door! You guys might recognize him from the "Al Oud" movie clips I have just recently put on the site. He's aged well, hasn't he? He was also kind enough to let me film him, and at the end he said in Arabic, "I hope this was fine. I am just waking up from bed."!

This was one of many incredible days from that trip. Look for one more video soon. I haven't encoded it yet, but it is a lovely taqsim for Joseph Tawadros.

Take care,
Mike

jeanluc
Oud Addict

Mood: happyoud

[*] posted on 3-6-2004 at 03:11 PM
new videos

hi Mike,
thanks for the videos...
i specially appreciate mamdouh's one .
i had liked very much his playin' in "music of islam vol 1 "
:applause:
have some rest and salam
zeyad
Oud Addict

Mood: love the oud

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 01:10 AM

Thank you Mike. Your website is really helpful and enjoyable.
Zeyad
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 08:32 AM

Hi

Great Great Great video there mike! They remind me of el Sunbathi (one of the many ppl who influenced me on my oud playing!)

Thanks!
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 06:29 AM
Joe Tawadros Video

Hey Everybody,

One more video for Joseph Tawadros has been added to the Oud Videos Page. This was shot at my uncle's house. We were able to connect with Joe in Egypt through his student, and forum visitor, Dimitris (aka Mitskits). Thanks again Dimitris! Anyway, you all remember Joe from a couple of months ago. He was featured on the MP3 page. Don't let the reseding hairline fool you. He is ONLY 20 years old!!! Can you say bright future? ;)

Take care,
Mike

P.S. Hey Zul...yeah man, you're right. These guys ADORE Riad el-Sunbati!

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 07:43 AM

Hi

Mike, whose Oud is that he using? Really nice build! Sounds good too!! Can you help me purchase same oud like that :D

Regards
bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 08:35 AM

Modathir Abul Wafa is amazing!!!!
wonderful vibrato!!!!!!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::D
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
jeanluc
Oud Addict

Mood: happyoud

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 12:38 PM
joseph

hi everyone,

thanks for that Joseph's video Mike...

it looks like he 's been playin' since he was in the cradle......
can you tell us more about him, please? it's very encouragin' to hear such young talented oudist...
thks again for sharin'

jean-luc
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 01:08 PM

Mike, I'm right in the middle of watching Joseph's video right now. I've been waiting for this for so long. HE JUST GOT TO SABA!!! My God, man.... he's just awesome. This guy is my idol for sure. His playing is so fluid... I can't even describe it, it's fantastic! Mike, I can't thank you enough for these vids. And you're all the luckier for actually being there and listening to him live! Thanks again!

TP21

john (beloved) habib
Oud Junkie

Mood: love my new oud

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 03:45 PM

Joseph is .. oh my gosh. His Oud face looks like Farid's Oud (in a video you posted)...

Someone was complaining before, and I agree, that many players today don't have much "soul" in their playing... just a bunch of speed and sound without too much depth. The way I feel about Farid when I'm listening to his Oud playing, I felt similarly about Joseph... He's got so much depth to .. man... I couldn't sit through some of the other vids you had up, because I was studying, but looking at Joseph I just HAD to ... man. :applause:

A FEW QUESTIONS.
I noticed that his Oud pegs looked pretty huge... and I noticed that, I think the strings go through to the Bottom of the Oud, like Iraq Ouds... am I right? This Oud doesn't look too "Egyptian"... am I right?
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 08:59 AM
Joseph Tawadros

Hey guys, I was just watching the taksim by Joseph Tawadros on video, and it blew me away again. I'm so upset I missed his performances in Cairo and Alexandria, but hopefully I'll see him perform sometime in the future, I know he'll be touring a lot.

He's really amazing guys, only 20 years old, and yet has so much going for him. Don't forget also that he is a multi-instrumentalist, and plays pretty much everything (ney, violin, qanun,...).

I really wish him the best, and look forward to his albums which are coming out soon.

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 3-18-2004 at 06:44 PM
Joseph Tawadros

Oh Mav,

I am lost for words with Joseph. He's got an amazing future waiting for him.

I do wish him all the best and I'd love him to know how proud of him we are. :bounce::D
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-19-2004 at 02:11 PM

Quote:

A FEW QUESTIONS.
I noticed that his Oud pegs looked pretty huge... and I noticed that, I think the strings go through to the Bottom of the Oud, like Iraq Ouds... am I right? This Oud doesn't look too "Egyptian"... am I right?

This oud is Egyptian. Such inlays aren't done in Irak. The string lenght on this oud is longer than 57cm . Yes it comes with a floating bridge.

Best wishes

Ronny
Jasper
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-30-2004 at 03:18 PM
Joseph tawadros

How good was that taqasim? I don't know much, but Joseph's style is really intersting and uplifting. It kept me interested all the way through and really I wanted more, he is technically brillant and really has a big future. Some of his phrases were out of this world! Thanks Mike.

Go To Top