Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: For luthiers: Hand planes and tool tasting in SoCal
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 09:06 AM
For luthiers: Hand planes and tool tasting in SoCal

For those in the Southern CA area, don't miss a great opportunity to try out some incredible tools and meet the people who make them. I'm acquainted with Tom Lie-Nielsen and can attest to the quality of his tools, and character, both excellent. I suggest anyone in the area who appreciates such things take advantage. What a nice setting, too. Wish I was in the area...

May 18, 2007 - May19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga
Joseph Filippi Winery - Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Guest demonstrators will include John Economaki, Larry Williams, Michel Auriou, W. Patrick Edwards, Kevin Drake, Brian Boggs and Tom Lie-Nielsen

For Shows: Hours: Friday from 12-6 and Saturday from 10-5pm. Admission free.

Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 11:46 AM

Jameel - Have you ever met Sam Maloof, the great furniture maker? I'm sure he would be open to showing you some of the tools he uses. He also has the greatest stash of walnut you'll ever see. I've known Sam for years. He would love to see your work too, I'm quite sure. D.L.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 05:59 PM

I was just watching Maloof on "Craft in America" on PBS. Of course I've known of his work for years. His work is beautiful. I bet he's got a great stash of lots of nice woods. One thing I noticed on the show was his left hand looks like the fingertips all have about a 20 degree taper all across. Ouch! My grandfather's hands looked identical to his. (he lost at least one to a table saw, picked it up and carried it to the hospital and they sewed it back on)They even look similar. I would like to visit him.

Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-23-2007 at 12:40 AM

Sam has coffee down at a local restaurant every morning. I will see if he's around. I haven't seen that PBS special but I heard it was great. If he's in town and up for it I will let you know. He's in Alta Loma near Claremont if that's not too far from where you are. He's getting older now but he's still working and loves visitors. Talk to you soon.
D.L.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 06:14 AM

Well, Alta Loma is a little drive for me. Say, maybe 2000 miles! But next time I'm in SoCal Sam's shop will definitely be on my list.

Go To Top