Printable Version  
Author: Subject: my bridge poped off
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 03:28 PM
my bridge poped off

hey guys

About 10 min ago i was on the computer and i heard a huge pop sound liek my oud dropped when i saw it the bridge poped off thx god there was no damage to the face i say "thank god"

Do u think it was b/c of the humitity or b/c the strings were to tight i was using orange pyramid strings and it was a ahmed abdul halim oud so idk
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
pauldata
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 04:55 PM

OUCH! Was the instrument subjected to any higher than normal heat or humidity? (Such as left in the car for a couple hours, or in direct sunlight?) It's possible that the glue was softened if that was the case... the good news is that if there was no damage to the top it can be repaired fairly easily. :)
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 11:36 PM

I saw it once happened - it's easy to repair.
:wavey:
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 5-21-2007 at 02:04 AM

Man it hurts:(

the same happened to mine recently, I nearly gave the Mrs the boot.... honest!!
cos she keeps shifting my oud's around, I just had a feeling she will do a big damage to one of them and thats why I threw the blame at her which turns out to a big row. Until one of my friends explained to me it can happen for the reasons Pauldata explained above, but something good came out of that, my Mrs now don't let anything come near them and the jealousy faded away...
its easy to mend and it was my first attempt at fixing a bridge, and I think its better tthan how it was.
good luck with yours,
best regards to all
Awad
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-21-2007 at 05:53 AM

hey guys

Thanks guys yeah i asumed that it was b/c of the heat b/c its in my room and it gets hot during the day so that was probally why
thx again
sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
hakeem.ram
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouding my time away

[*] posted on 5-21-2007 at 08:13 AM

It happened to me too a few months back when I brought my Oud back from Germany to Singapore.

The thing is that the humidity in Singapore is about 60-95% which is pretty high. So welll the bridge made way and I had to get it repaired. I tried with some wood glue but that did not hold well. Since there are no oud luthiers around here, I went to a violin luthier who said he could try to do it. He had 2 attempts and the 1st attempt lasted a day and the second attempt lasted 2 weeks. Eversince i went to a guitar luthier who builds guitars under the brand, Taylor (Taylorguitars.com) and eversince then my oud has been functioning pretty well i must say and i am pretty happy about it.

If you are not too confident about it, better get a luthier to do it for you. But what ever it is never use epoxy kind of glue that will only damage the face/soundboard. It is said either you use plant glue or animal glue. These kind of glue will soften with heat but toughen when cooled.

Good Luck!

Lintfree
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 02:38 AM

Sammy - There is a guy in Boston named Peter Kyvelos who makes ouds. If you have the time and can make it up there he does great work. Maybe Matt Umanoff in New York knows somebody who repairs ouds. Good luck. L.
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 11:26 AM

hey guys

Thanks for your input i think i am capable on doin it my self since i have no life now so i will looking what exacly i have to do and go for it
thx sammy

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 01:37 PM

Hey guys
I sanded it down to get it smooth .
now its nice and even.
thx sammy

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 01:39 PM

after

Go To Top