Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud Tuning
Anto
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-6-2004 at 11:52 PM
Oud Tuning

Hello everyone, i just started learning the oud and have recently bought a syrian oud. I have been playing plucked stringed instruments for awhile so the transition to oud has been fairly smooth. Anyways, i was just curious about what tunings everyone uses and more importantly, WHY they use their tuning. I have found countless different tunings around and cannot really decide which one i should use. Currently i am using (from low to high) D (single string), E, A, D, G, C. I dont think that this is a conventional tuning, i am just using it because of its similarity to my guitar. I would like to find a good tuning for me and stick to it so that i can be very comfortable with it.
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 12:31 AM

Dear friend,
I use this tunning on my Syrian type ouds and on my Turkish type ouds with a tone higher,I use this tunning for more than 4 years,and I like it very much....
What you don't like on this tunning?
Regards
Spyros

Anto
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 01:34 AM

i do like this tuning actually, i just had not seen anyone list this one as a "conventional tuning" (like on oud cafe for example). I have heard that certain oud's have a much better sound when using certain tunings, i thought id ask what other people use. Or maybe playing is easier with certain tunings, as it is beneficial to make use of as many open strings as possible when playing. Thanks for the reply. I really like this message board by the way, everyone is extremely nice, not to mention knowledgable.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 03:24 AM

Hi. The tunings you use should be what you are most comfortable with and what doesn't put too much stress on the instrument.

You'll find though that sometimes if you're trying to learn a piece, it becomes apparent that certain tunings work better for certain pieces.

Enjoy,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 08:19 AM

Hi Anta

You are using the same tuning that has been use here in Malaysia for many years (also same as to tune a 6 strings bass guitar) but I recomend that the D (single string) should be tune to B so the pedal tone (Jawab) on Lower D can have more emotion to it (to produce slide or slur technique)

Salam
Alan
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mellow Yellow

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 08:29 PM

I also use this tuning on my Turkish and Syrian oud. I like the drone resonances from the low D.
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 01:14 AM
oud tuning

i use this tuning too. for a long time i felt it wasn't "offical" for some reason - don't know why.

there's an expression which says "if it ain't bust, don't fix it." ...if the tuning works, why change it?

i suspect that the use of two, alternate bass strings (instead of one) and the subsequent reduction of five melodic strings to four may suit some styles of play over others. but as i don't play that way, i don't need the 2nd bass.

ciao - bill
wfspark
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud entranced!

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 06:08 AM
Oud tuning.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zulkarnain
Hi Anta

You are using the same tuning that has been use here in Malaysia for many years (also same as to tune a 6 strings bass guitar) but I recomend that the D (single string) should be tune to B so the pedal tone (Jawab) on Lower D can have more emotion to it (to produce slide or slur technique)

Salam
Hello Mr. Zulkarnain. Would you recommend that BEADGC tuning for Turkish ouds? Or that same tuning but a step higher? I'm getting a Turkish oud from Haluk Eraydin. If you need to get in touch with me, my e-mail is wfspark@yahoo.com. Thanks.

William F. Sparks
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 07:21 AM

Hi

Yes u can tune it from low to high B E A D G C (440) with Mr Haluk Eraydin turkish oud.

Once you familiar with this tuning later u can change the last 2 string to C & F (B change to C and E change to F) This is an old Arabic tuning method (300 years)

Good luck!

Salam
Anto
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 02:31 PM

thanks for all the help, i think i will end up sticking with this tuning, or at least a similar tuning
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 4-9-2004 at 08:46 AM
Arabic Tuning

Here's a photo showing the tuning I'm currently using - AFAIK this is fairly standard for Arabic ouds. The "<" and ">" next to the note names indicate which course, right or left each peg is controlling. The small "numbers" above the notes at the bridge (bottom of the page) indicate the order to use when stringing up the oud – this is to avoid messy string crossovers that might bind the strings at the peg box and make tuning more difficult than it needs to be.

Experts - please let me know if I got this "right".

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com

Go To Top