Printable Version  
Author: Subject: String preference
MARTAN
Oud Addict

Mood: LOOKING FOR NEW HORZIONS

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 01:38 AM
String preference

Hi to all members.
I wouild like to open a forum on string preferences.
At my local shop I have the chioce of the 2 following sets.
Pyramid strings or D'addario.
Any members who has exsperiance's on this subject
Personal omments and criticisam would be appreciated.
At this moment I am involved with Turkish tuning
Looking forward to some good feedback on this subject.
Regards to all members
Martin:cool::cool:
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 02:30 AM

Hi Martin - I just finished an exhaustive study of the following; D'Addarrio, LaBella, Pyramid and Musicarivan in two Turkish tunings; all fourths C#/F#/B/E/A/D and the tuning used in the US called Turkish tuning E/A/B/E/A/D (from lowest to highest) on two high end Turkish ouds, a Turunz and a Mustafa. D'Addarrio oud strings are stiffer than Pyramid and feel like they have more tension but they do not. LaBella seems to have a lighter core or are wound more loosely and are twangier. Their Turkish set is great for EABEAD tuning but when you lower the fifth course and the sixth course down for the "all fourths" tuning they are a little lacking in tension and can get a bit flappy - same with the Pyramids I tried. The best are the Musicaravan Necati set for the all fourths tuning, plus you order them with P.V.F. trebble strings that are louder, brighter and smaller diameter than the regular nylon treble strings.
What I also found with the instruments I was putting these different sets on is that some Turkish ouds are made to be tuned down and others are not. The main thing to make sure of is the scale length. If you have an Arabic oud with an Arabic scale DO NOT tune to EABEAD!! The bridge can come up in your face. Been there and done that. My advise would be to try the Pyramids first or whatever is least expensive. Every oud has an ideal set of strings and an ideal tuning. Welcome to the endless search. L.
MARTAN
Oud Addict

Mood: LOOKING FOR NEW HORZIONS

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 04:26 AM

Hi L
Thanks very much for your posting and for your critical views and exsperices.
It looks like I will be come an expert on string changing.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ineresting subject through dont you think?I will go for Pyramid first and let you know in due coarse the result ....DONT NO HOW LONG THAT WILL TAKE AS I HAVE TO DO SOME RESTORATION WORK BEFOE INSTALLING STRINGS
My very best regards and thanks again
Martin:cool::cool:

Go To Top