Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: UD METODU TRANSLATION
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 02:38 PM

I can't quite remember how many pages of text content there were in Mutlu's book, but from memory, and based on a knowledge of going rates for translation here in Istanbul (15ytl for 1500 characters - that's a sparse double-spaced page at best), I would guess in the $3000 range. Not including permissions/royalties (who knows what that might run, if anything...)

Not trying to dampen the enthusiasm - it's a great idea for a project.

I don't think many people translating little bits would be wise. The end result would have absolutely no writing consistency. Particularly with English-->Turkish (and vice versa) a literal translation will appear to be entirely ridiculous without the hand of an expert translator (like Bob Beer, and a few others).

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
on soundcloud
on myspace
my homepage
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eliot
I don't think many people translating little bits would be wise. The end result would have absolutely no writing consistency. Particularly with English-->Turkish (and vice versa) a literal translation will appear to be entirely ridiculous without the hand of an expert translator (like Bob Beer, and a few others).

Eliot thanks for your ideas here.

Bob is actually the guy I've been thinking about, I just got his email address from a friend. He's really the ideal person to do the translation methinks.

And Eliot I really like what you say about many people doing little chunks, there is a risk it comes out very inconsistent.

adam
Ashley
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 04:22 AM

Hi Everybody

Good News!!! :D I received a reply form Bemol publishers in Turkey and it looks like a Translation is under way here is a copy of the email.
======================================================================
Dear Ashley

Fistly, I just want to thank you for your interest in our book.
We want you to know that all the rights of the book belong to Bemol Music Publishing.
“Ud Metodu” was written by Mutlu Torun and published for Turkish market but now
we are attempting to translate it in English and we are thinking on making an English
dubbing for the CD’s too. The book will contain four CDs. Other CDs will be presented
both in English and Turkish, within the only book and the CD.
I hope this information is enough for you. Please send your messages about this again.

Yours Sincerely Bemol Music Publishing Selmiye İldan
===================================================================

I have written them a new email to ask when the new translation will be ready, so fingers crossed we will have the book soon!...

Hopefully this will save us all a lot of work and money!

Thank you Eliot for your ideas I agree that if many people were to end up translating sections of the book it would probably end up being incoherent. Thanks also for finding out how much a translation would cost, lets just hope that the publishers are true to their word otherwise the cost is going to make this really difficult (if not impossible)

I suppose now would be a good time to express our interest to the publishers by sending them loads of emails asking when the book will be finished. Perhaps if we can send them enough they will be inspired to get it completed quickly.

here is the email for the publisher info@bemolmusic.com

Just want to say Thank you all for your help and enthusiasm and I hope that we will soon have the long awaited translation

Speak soon

Ash :)
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 08:36 AM

Time has yet to prove if that is indeed good news or not...! But I'm keeping fingers, toes and everything I can crossed!
Ashley
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 11:51 AM

lol Arsene...I know how you feel! maybe with enough emails they will be convinced to do it!
Ashley
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 05:17 AM

Hello Everyone

Still no further news from the publisher so I think I will go ahead and call them on Monday..I think this is going to be a slow process but I just wanted to let you all know that I am still chasing them..I will post more news as I get it
Did anybody else try to contact them?
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 08:20 AM

I sent them an e-mail... no reply...
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 12:43 PM

We heard news about the English edition of this coming out from them, what was it, a few years ago???

I would not expect the most punctual of replies, but if one comes, praise be to Allah (tanrı, God, etc.).

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
on soundcloud
on myspace
my homepage
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason
arsene: I have that first VCD you linked. Honestly, you can probably learn everything on it by visiting this site and http://www.maqamworld.com As far as I can recall it doesn't really get into any kind of nuance of playing... nor ornamentation, phrasing, etc.

I also have seen that VCD ( how to play the UD vol1) and agree with Jason- it is very very basic and you can learn more all on this website, plus more. I did enjoy watching the teacher with his blackboard!
Matthew
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-10-2007 at 04:40 AM

Yeah, Maqamworld and the vids on Mike's website are truly great, great tools for studying the maqamat.

I was kinda hoping that VCD would cover some ornamentation or phrasing techniques...

Aren't there any other methods aside from Ud Metodu and this VCD? You know, just in case the translation never arrives...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top