Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Older beginning oud players needed for interviews
Marq
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 03:15 PM
Older beginning oud players needed for interviews

Hello,
I am in the process of writing an article about older men and women - say from late-40s up - who have decided to learn to play the oud. If you are in early to late middle age (I am 58), a beginner at the oud, and are passionate about learning to play middle eastern music, I would love to hear your story about how the oud came to you and where it has taken you so far.
You may write to me directly at mbradlyn@yahoo.com
Thank you for your help.
Mark
jazzchiss
Oud Junkie

Mood: Improvising

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 12:16 AM

You can count on me. I am 55 and always learning.

marmarzamani
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 08:32 AM

I am 58 and an intermittent student of the oud. I have had intervals where I did not even have an instrument spanning several years, thus I still consider myself somewhat of a neophyte. The haunting lure of the oud always drew me back.
pauldata
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 07:05 PM

I had my first (Egyptian) oud in the early 70s, and was blown away by the 'Ode to an Oud' album by John Berberian, who is still my favorite oud player. I was a pro electric bass player at the time, but I fiddled with that oud for a year or so until it fell apart. I continued playing in the Turko-Arabic style on my old dumbec, and later with wood darabukkas. Now, many years later, my Gypsy music trio, Balkan Spirit, played a gig with an local oud player subbing in for our usual cembalom player. This got me very interested, especially when I had a chance to play a halfway decent Turkish oud with low action and good tone. So I emailed John Berberian and asked for his advice on purchasing an oud, he kindly referred me to the Sandi / Kankaya company of Ankara; and I went ahead and ordered one of their instruments. (you can see pics of it on another thread on this forum) I've had it for a couple weeks, and have learnt a couple tunes on it, but will soon take some lessons from the local oud player and see where it goes. My main instrument is now guitar; (I perform solo with a variax acoustic and a Taylor 12 string;) but I still drum and play some bass in the Gypsy trio, and hope to add some oud playing onstage in the near future! :)
Marq
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 10:16 AM

Hi Paul,
Thank you for the reply to my quest for interviews with older oudists and also for link to this topic and the picture of your new Sandi / Canakya oud. I also have a Sandi oud, model MUA-30. The bowl is made of mahogany and walnut. I have had this oud since early November, and it is a joy to play. The action is superb, the tone beautiful with lots of subtle shadings and gorgeous resonance, and it is sublimely playable. Depending on the risha I use, the tone can vary from a soft Arabic sound with a bit of thump to it to a sparkly treble similar to a Bashir style oud. I also like the wider string spacing (at least it seems wider to me than my previous less well-made Turkish oud) and the slightly smaller body and shorter neck. I play this oud in an Arabic tuning, and it sounds just lovely tuned down that way. I may want to get back to you for more information for the article I am working on. Would you send me your email? Here's mine again: mbradlyn@yahoo.com
Mark
Jasmine_27
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 06:17 PM
Oud Article

Dear Mark,

I am 52 and not a trained musician, but have fallen in love with the oud and began lessons about a month ago. My first love is dance, but I began learning flamenco guitar about two years ago here in Tokyo. That and a fascination for cante also sparked my parallel interest in Middle Eastern music.

With regard to exposure, I've been intrigued and inspired by contemporary musicians like Tarik and Julia Banzi's Illuminations, and Miguel Poveda, who collaborated with several qawaali singers on a recent DVD. I was also entranced by scenes from Carlos Saura's movie Vengo, which has a wonderful array of Morroccan and flamenco musicians

I'm very interested in learning more about both flamenco and oud, and am looking forward to the journey with great anticipation!
damascene_oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Obssessed by oud

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 12:25 AM

Dear Paul,
I'm seriously considering having a Turkish Oud and was referred to Faruk Turunz workshop as "the best" or as i was told, but have seen your oud and cannot deny how beautiful it looks and must be with good sound quality that John Barberian refers player to.
If you happen to hear Faruk Turunz's oud, what're the difference in terms of quality and sound wise between Sanid's and Turunz's ouds?
I appreciate your advice.
Thanks,
Izzat

Go To Top