Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Egyptian Ouds
nayoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Meditative

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 10:26 AM
Egyptian Ouds

Hi
I'm new to the forum and a beginner to the Oud world.
Can someone please tell me which Egyptian Oud should I buy when i'm in Cairo this summer ?

I know that Maurice Shehata ouds are among the best produced in Egypt (and the most expensive as well), but are there any other good luthiers there? I've heard not so good things about Gawharet el fan, is that true?
Thanks for your help
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 11:55 AM

check out all the luthiers out there... and go visit them.
I wouldnt write off maurice shehata just because you think its expensive. Its worth going and trying the ouds there. and I wouldnt write off gawharet el Fan just because of reputation. you can find some nice ouds that come out of there.
This is Egypt !!... go face to face with the makers and talk about oud etc.. he might like you and give you a friendly price. Regardless you should negociate the price for everything you buy in cairo.

Your in the best place to try the oud before you buy it so take advantage of that aswell.
nayoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 12:19 PM

Thanks Samir

I actually talked with Maurice on the phone and he seems like a very nice man and very helpful as well, I also talked with the people at Gawharet el fan, but like you said i have to pass through Mohamed ALi street and try them out personally, but in this case, and given my lack of Oud experience i would just have to compare it to a classical guitar.
Thanks
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Moud

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 12:15 PM

I didn't get a chance to go to Shehata's (it's way out of the way in the northeast part of Cairo), but I picked up a pretty nice oud at Gawharet El Fan in November for a very reasonable price ($220 US, I think). If you talk to Nasser, he'll take you upstairs and show you the more expensive stuff, although I was worried about flying home with it and stuck with a cheaper one.

I've been playing it a lot since then and the sound has really opened up. PaulO was playing it last night and commented on how nice of an instrument it has turned out to be.

Allow lots of time for your visit - be prepared to drink tea and maybe even eat dinner with the staff!

See http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=3391

Have fun shopping!
Nathan
nayoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 04:02 PM

Thanks stringmanca for the tip with Gawharet el fan ... I heard that Fathi Amin ouds are also great... but for $220 thats a deal you cant beat. I originally envisaged paying a bit more, since its my first post-guitar oud. When I called Shehata he qouted $700 for the beginner line, I guess thats out of my league for now, I still don't know if I'll succeed with the oud given the absence of frets.

Hisham

Go To Top