Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Greece Bouzouki
dubai244
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 09:48 AM
Greece Bouzouki

Hi every one,

I am planning to buy Greece Bouzouki and i am windering if i can play the Arabic tones such as 1/2 , 1/4 tones.

Examples for 1/2 , 1/4, is like when you play Maqam Bayati, you use 1/2 tone to get it right. Same thing when you play Maqam Saba, you use 1/4 tone.

so can you play Bayati or Saba Maqam or Rast Maqam in Greece Bouzouki?

I have got already the Arabic version of the Bouzouki and it has plastic Frets, you can adjust the frets to suit the Arabic Maqam. While, as far as i know, Greece Bouzouki has Metalic Frets and you can not adjust or change the frets position.

Thanks ;)
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 10:29 AM

It's true you cannot adjust the frets on a Greek bouzouki. To my knowledge the frets are spaced to suit western music, so you can't play all the tones you could play on an 'ud for example.

I could be wrong though, maybe someone with more bouzouki experience can comment on this?
muthada
Oud Maniac

Mood: oudish

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 01:30 AM
hi

the bouzouki and all the western string instrument are already spaced in 1/2 tone.
if you want to play a 1/4 you need to add extra frets between
some of them.

best regards
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 05:26 AM

or you could try bending the strings? but that would be inacurate with two strings to bend i guess...
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 10:39 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help. I guess, i can not play arabic tones with greece bouzouki.

but i think it is worth it to get one. so any recommanded maker or shop where i can buy nice bouzouki?

The budgit is between 800 to 1500 $ USD.

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 08:41 AM

Hi,

It's been a long time since I've played Greek bouzouki, so I don't have shop names to give you. But they are generally getting more and more expensive, so since you will be spending a great deal of money either way, be sure to check certain things out.

Don't consider an instrument that has a bent/warped neck, in any way. You might be better off either getting a used one that has been tested for a few years, or getting one with a truss rod installed.

Make sure you check for buzzing all the way up and down the neck on each string - also consider whether you want a 3 course or a 4 course bouzouki - the 4 course is more like guitar tuning, the 3 course is the older, more traditional style and has varying tunings (DAD, DGD).

Beware of high action - it will probably only get worse.

My advice is to check out Pavlos at http://www.bouzouki.org (very helpful and knowledgeable guy) and the http://www.skeezo.com forums, and contact those guys on a bouzouki, either used or new, that will work for your budget. Also, some of the Greek oud makers in Athens and Thessaloniki might be able to help steer you in the right direction.

Good luck!

mavrothis (I will be in Greece/Turkey from the end of July to the beginning of September)

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 08:55 PM

Hi Mavrothis,

Thanks for the great and helpfull informations. that's help me alot to get what i want.

Any way, I have seen some web sites about bouzouki's, they look really nice but it seem to me it's over price.

Thanks mavrothis ;)
muthada
Oud Maniac

Mood: oudish

[*] posted on 6-3-2007 at 01:18 AM
hi dubai244

this link is for you.

http://www.mpouzouki.com/

best regards
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-3-2007 at 05:25 AM

Hi Muthada,

Thanks for the link, it has every thing related to Bouzouki.

Now i am searching for a good shop or bouzouki maker, i might order one i think.

Thanks ;)

Go To Top