Printable Version  
Author: Subject: advice on buying oud
ashurek
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 06:06 AM
advice on buying oud

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and have recently decided to start learning to play oud. I would like to get some input as to where the best place to look for ouds online is, besides ebay... I find that scary. I would like to get the best oud I can with a budget under $3k, so I can grow with it. Is it better to look for used or new? Is there a real difference in sound between iraqi, syrian, turkish or iraqi ouds?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Sincerely
Moe
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 06:22 AM

Hey Moe, Check your U2U
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 12:15 PM

For $2-3k you should be able to find something excellent. Some older ouds may be able to be had, there are some excellent ouds by lesser-known syrian and lebanese makers, as well as I'm sure other countries. You could certainly get a new oud from Shehata or Ghadban, as well as a number of other contemporary makers. There are a number of excellent turkish makers as well. Search through the forums and you'll be able to find out a lot about different ouds and peoples' experiences with various luthiers.
amtaha
Oud Junkie

Mood: beginner's frustration ...

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 01:00 PM

If you're in Montreal, the Tayyars seem like a wonderful option.

Check here:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=2686&pa...

Cheers.

Hamid
ashurek
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 04:12 PM

thanks for the tips all! I actually heard about al tayyar and even had his contact info shortly before I went online to look for ouds. However, it seems he has retired from oud making from what I hear.

I will spend some time reading up on the forum to learn about the different makers. Dont suppose anyone knows any nahats for sale! :D
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 08:48 PM

Ashurek

Hi, I don't think you'll have a problem finding a decent oud with that kinda budget ;). You'll find that 2-3k is the price of a high end oud, unless it's got sentimental value like a Nahat or Manol. Having said that I think you just missed out on a fantastic oud made by this forum's very own Jameel.... But anyway you can always go for a Ghadban, Shehata or Yaroub, their ouds are used amongst the ranks of Marcel Khalifeh, Abadi El Johar and Wadih El Safi.
NUR
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 01:16 AM

You can order from Haluk also a nice and cheaper Turkish oud.
I was ordered 2 years before from him.
Try web site of him http://www.eraydinsazevi.com.tr Good luck.
ashurek
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 06:14 AM

Can someone enlighten me as to whether the prices on this website truly reflect Ghadban oud values? I see zilzal is well over 4000 pounds.

http://www.mediterranean-musicshop.com/index.php?cPath=74_33&so...
NUR
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 07:50 AM

This musicshop is a dealer and selling different makers ouds so the prices are expensive.
Electric saz of mother of pearl inlaided is seems amazing to me.
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 04:14 AM

Ashurek - Nice budget. Do as much research as you can into all types and kinds of ouds and remember that every oud is different no matter who made it. Two ouds from the same maker can be worlds apart. Faruk Turunz makes great instruments and is quite reasonable in the price department. Rapakousios makes great instruments and his hard shell cases are the best. Rapakousios makes all styles from the Munir Bashir floating bridge style to a variation on a Manol; Arabic scale lengths, Turkish scale lengths. Buy it directly from the maker not from a shop if you are ordering. Price is better. Good hunting.
ashurek
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 11:45 AM

Ive run into a couple of makers and Im wondering if anyone has had experience with them... there is Wissam Joubran in France, and Faruk Turunz in turkey, and Yaroub in Tunisia.

One thing Im trying to understand also is what is the difference between a bashir oud, and a classical oud when it comes to sound?
ashurek
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 12:15 PM
mohammed fadel oud

I also ran into this one online. If anyone has any information about this oud, please let me know!

http://oudpage.tripod.com/buysell.htm

thanks again
Moe
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 04:21 AM

I think a Bashir style oud is the Iraqi oud, and by classical oud you probably mean Arabic (Egyptian or Syrian, for example). While there are differences even between various Arabic ouds, the main difference between Arabic, Turkish and Iraqi (bashir) style ouds is the tuning and size.

Basically, Arabic (classical) ouds are slighly larger than Turkish and Iraqi ones, with a longer fingerboard too. The tuning is lower than both Turkish and Iraqi. Turkish tuning is in the middle, and Iraqi (Bashir) tuning is higher. Because of all this (and the use of different woods) there is a distinct difference in sound.

Then there's the Persian oud (Barbat), again slightly smaller than the Arabic oud, but it has an even lower tuning than the Arabic ones!

Go To Top